Lexus mock the German Marques in latest ad...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Latest South African advert by Lexus:

20335428531569540056.jpg

:rolleyes:

Having driven both the E Class and the Lexus of alleged similar "Class" Its Mercedes all the way.

I'm curious though - does that mean you can't upgrade your Lexuz sound system?

No way you'd want to. The standard Levinson system is superb; on my wife's IS250 it's a 12 speaker system with sub and enough output to shake the wing mirrors, and the quality is simply outstanding.

All the Germans would learn a trick from Lexus, including option packs in a cars list price is a huge benefit to company car drivers as far as BIK tax is concerned.

Too many things are options on £30K to £40K cars.

Comparative advertising in SA

A good number of years ago, MB screened an advert based on a true story, where a guy traveling home late at night on Chapmans peak, crashed through the barrier on a bend. The car and driver plummeted a hundred meters down a cliff, and the man survived. MB used this to demonstrate the safety of a 'Benz'

A short while later BMW ran an ad, with virtually the same screen shots 'car driving along windy cliff road at night in the rain', but just at the point where the MB ad had the Merc crashing through the barriers, the BMW turned and successfully made it round the corner. The strap line then appeared. 'BMW...........beats the Bends'

I thought that was very clever. :)

Having driven both the E Class and the Lexus of alleged similar "Class" Its Mercedes all the way.

With a foot in both camps, I can tell you that it might be a 'toyota' but they can teach Mercedes a few things about build quality.

Mercedes can teach them a lot about a car 'feeling' special, but do they still feel special with dreadful dealers, rust and unreliability?

All IMHO of course ;)

Noticed Nissan doing similar in promoting the 370Z - ''The winner Hans down.''

Have we forgotten the book that said a Mercedes spent longer in the rectification bay than a Toyota does on the production line?
Wasn't that the start of Mercedes building their cars differently?

My father bought a Datsun (2000 deluxe six estate) in 1971, this was a large car, about the same size as a 145 Volvo.

They used the same tactics then, the car came standard with a radio(!) and electric aerial(!) and an electric parcel window on the nearside rear most window. It was a technical marvel in those days with it's sohc 6 cylinder engine, nothing British or European could touch it at that price point. But...it rusted...

But how they loved to crow about what was standard as compared to optional. Remember in 1971 a radio was optional on 95% of cars.

Much as I love my Mercedes, there is definitely a serious problem with some of the models, the worst example being the W210.

I have a W210 E280 Avantgarde, and although I love it and would probably buy another, the problems I have had would not have affected cars costing a third of the price and have quite honestly smacked of incompetence, poor quality and design.

The biggest issue is of course rust and I recently had to decide whether to scrap my 10 year old car (10-15 years prematurely) or spend a few £k getting it sorted. Being more emotional than sensible, I got it sorted, but it's still inexcusable. That's aside from other niggles which have not affected by 18 year old Micra or 17 year old 300ZX!

Quality in SA

Many years ago good old Lancia had a bit of a problem with rust, especially in South Africa, so when they brought out this new model, can't remember which one a Delta I think, they decided that in Cape Town they would for an ad campaign chain one down to the rocks just of Sea Point. they had this enormous bill board up on the front telling everyone how they had beaten the rust problem and show how confident they were over the new car's ability to withstand the sea air this car was going to be left to the whim of nature and the sea for SIX months when it would be retrieved and anyone could check it out for rust. Unfortunately the Italian duuh man at the top hadn't reckoned with the famous Cape Winter storms; they can blow a bit, it seems that this drongo had come out from Italy to personally supervise the return to market leadership by Lancia. The car was chained to the rock. Two days later there was a big blow, the coast guard reckoned that it was about wind force 10 and pushing Hurricane force 11 at times. the day after the storm the Cape Town News published a photo of the rock, four chains remained and NO car with the caption under the photo of Great Rust proofing, car rusts away in two days. I thought this was funny, don’t you. Ian
:bannana:

I have owned two Lexus models A LS400 and an RX300
Seven years of faultless motoring. Build quality and reliability are stunning.

Much as I love my Mercedes, there is definitely a serious problem with some of the models, the worst example being the W210.

I have a W210 E280 Avantgarde, and although I love it and would probably buy another, the problems I have had would not have affected cars costing a third of the price and have quite honestly smacked of incompetence, poor quality and design.

The biggest issue is of course rust and I recently had to decide whether to scrap my 10 year old car (10-15 years prematurely) or spend a few £k getting it sorted. Being more emotional than sensible, I got it sorted, but it's still inexcusable. That's aside from other niggles which have not affected by 18 year old Micra or 17 year old 300ZX!

how much did you pay, i paid £1250 for 2 new mb wings all the tops of my doors cut and new ones welded in, new rubber seals everywhere, bonnet painted and a service. its all been sealed properly it looks brand new.

how much did you pay, i paid £1250 for 2 new mb wings all the tops of my doors cut and new ones welded in, new rubber seals everywhere, bonnet painted and a service. its all been sealed properly it looks brand new.

Your car is less than ten years old and you have had to get all that remedial work done yet you still say how wonderful MB cars are?

Our W210 had been resprayed by MB twice yet was still rusting again when we sold it

Cars of this (perceived) calibre shouldn't rust like that in such a short time.

Your car is less than ten years old and you have had to get all that remedial work done yet you still say how wonderful MB cars are?

Our W210 had been resprayed by MB twice yet was still rusting again when we sold it

Cars of this (perceived) calibre shouldn't rust like that in such a short time.

yes i do.. if people are so miffed at benz there is always bmw....its a great job i have a year warrenty on the paint, and i have done near 13,500 miles in it now, no problems, squeaks or leaks its been on a road trip all over the uk...no problems and now it hasent even got a spec of rust, i cant see a problem, my neighbours 7 year old bmw has had a gasket though... now HE is ******.. dont even get me started on my p reg c180 with 156,000 miles on it.. not a single problem :D

but you sound like your at the end of your tether. may be a change of marque will do the trick.. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom