Lexus test driver killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes a shame, but the damage to the cars is extensive, if you look at the Lexus, the engine is pretty much in the passenger compartment (from what I can see)

The combined impact speed must have been considerable.

broken neck prolly, head-on's are a bitch for it, and wearing a helmet only makes it worse.

that's why F1 has the head / helmet restraint system

Yes a shame, but the damage to the cars is extensive, if you look at the Lexus, the engine is pretty much in the passenger compartment (from what I can see)

The combined impact speed must have been considerable.

nah, passenger cell intact, see the doors.

lexus_1-L.jpg

The police quote implies there was a passenger in the Lexus ... and that they were both wearing helmets?

Frontal damage looks quite severe, hard to tell from that angle though.

I guess we'd accept this more if it had actually happened on the 'Ring itself.

Both died in the Lexus, yet both survived in the BMW.

sometimes it just works that way, being in the vehicle with most momentum isn't always the best way to survive.

I've done motorway recovery for plod, and seen it all, from accidents where you think "I could repair that for £250 quid" and the people were killed, to "I don't even know what make of car that is, never mind model" and they literally walk away.

"extensive package of electronics" - imagine what happens if one of your attachment methods fails on a 35Kg sensor array/processor package in a head-on collision?

Poor *******. At least, unlike the majority, he went out doing what he loved and (hopefully) didn't fully know what was happening before the lights went out.

"extensive package of electronics" - imagine what happens if one of your attachment methods fails on a 35Kg sensor array/processor package in a head-on collision?

If that were the case then Lexus are about to pay out a huge amount of money to the families.

the lexus is all sideways, the beemer is still in the direction of travel

I dunno about that. The Lexus looks to me as if it's on the wrong side of the road. Did the Lexus driver forget to drive on the right, or was he still in test-mode having just come off the 'ring?

that's why F1 has the head / helmet restraint system

This is the Hans system to which you're referring, the link also shows crash test videos showing how the device works in practice : Hans System

Dale Earnhardt, a name that dominated Nascar for 20+ years famously refused to wear the Hans device on the grounds that it restricted movement, and wasn't effective. The cause of death in his fatal crash in 2001, was due to a basilar skull fracture; for which the Hans is designed to prevent.

Some LF construction details here. Lexus 2011 LFA Personally I don't like the combination structure of metal frame and carbon-fibre tub--- reminds me too much of the the old E type jag with the space-frame front end and monocoque body and they were pretty lethal in a crash. OK things have moved on a bit since then but unless the whole front of the car has carbon fibre elements in its construction then you are back to metal deformation crash technology despite the carbon fibre passenger cell. Not saying that this played any part in this accident you understand just a comment.

It's a terrible shame. It shouldn't be that dangerous but sometimes it just is. I have tested cars myself at the 'Ring and then been asked to evaluate something on the road, and the roads in the area often used for this.
I know from experience it is often difficult to adapt to 'normal legal' road speeds after being at warp factor 2 on the circuit. I hope that was not a factor in this unfortunate incident.

If that were the case then Lexus are about to pay out a huge amount of money to the families.

Probably stereotyping enormously but I'd imagine that given the length of service Toyota will be more than generous in their commitment to the family.

Without knowing exactly what build stage the lexus was upto, this car (ignoring the test equipment packed) may not have been to full engineering intent.

There is a reason why they are test cars and manufacturers don't sell them and thats because they are not yet complete as the design data is not at the maturity to be manufactured.

It could have been a verification prototype missing safety aspects, or a chassis mule missing cross bracing, there is a whole family or types of test cars.

Condolences to all those involved.

Without knowing exactly what build stage the lexus was upto, this car (ignoring the test equipment packed) may not have been to full engineering intent.

There is a reason why they are test cars and manufacturers don't sell them and thats because they are not yet complete as the design data is not at the maturity to be manufactured.

It could have been a verification prototype missing safety aspects, or a chassis mule missing cross bracing, there is a whole family or types of test cars.

How are these cars assessed as far as legality for use on the road is concerned?

How are these cars assessed as far as legality for use on the road is concerned?

Would they be coverd under the Single Vehicle Approval test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom