LGVs in lane 3 of M6 at J10/9/8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Gents

Just come down the M6 towards Brum at the newly opened section where they have the hard-shoulder running and variable speed limits in times of congestion. (i.e. always!!)

There seemed to be a number of LGV 44 Tonne artics running in Lane 3. The posted speed limit was 50

Has there been a dispensation to allow this on these sections?

I never see this on the M42 south of Brum and it has hard shoulder running too.

The highway code states that the right hand lane must not be used. So if there are 4 lanes in operation when hard shoulder is in use then they are OK ??

Yes, a bit further down the road the the hard shoulder and lane 1 are for M5 South and remaining two lanes for M6 south. Here they would be OK in outside lane.

Just struck me they were all getting into lane 3 well in advance of this section. Much to the suprise of some cars already in lane 3 too!

I travel here a lot and have observed it happening further and further up the road.

Someone must be turning a blind eye in the name of "look how much faster the traffic flows after all this money we spent"

there is a general shift in this country to hang around in any lane and do whatever speed you like, it creates chaos, because people are too pig headed/stubborn to get out of the lane they are holding up, whilst not going fast enough to over take anything on the inside, and if they are just sitting there, and you go down the left hand side, it's you in the wrong....

dual carriageways are the worst, "oh look, i'm turning right in about 10 miles at the next roundabout, i need to be in the right hand lane now, doing 45-50 in preparation for the roundabout"

Seeing as there are more sections of 4 lane motorways we should all be clear as to who is allowed in each lane.

Lane 4 - Mercedes cars only
Lane 3 - Poor people
Lane 2 - Poor people
Lane 1 - Lorries only

Where do the BMW drivers go? I hear you ask.......

They are not allowed on any road with more than one lane.

there is a general shift in this country to hang around in any lane and do whatever speed you like, it creates chaos, because people are too pig headed/stubborn to get out of the lane they are holding up, whilst not going fast enough to over take anything on the inside, and if they are just sitting there, and you go down the left hand side, it's you in the wrong....

dual carriageways are the worst, "oh look, i'm turning right in about 10 miles at the next roundabout, i need to be in the right hand lane now, doing 45-50 in preparation for the roundabout"

I see this a lot. In fact coming home tonight, the motorway is the mirror opposite in terms of what cars are in what lane, to what it should be.

I was in lane 2 overtaking cars the other day, and as usual someone who can't be bothered to check what is in lane 2 pulls across so I assume that person is to turn right later on. I indicate and pull into lane 1 and undertake as I am going faster. Other car then flashes.

Some very strange logic going on there...

Seeing as there are more sections of 4 lane motorways we should all be clear as to who is allowed in each lane.

Lane 3 - Poor people
Lane 2 - Poor people
Lane 1 - Lorries only

At least I can use Lane 2, 3 and 4.

Lane 3 - Poor people
Lane 2 - Poor people
Lane 1 - Lorries only

Where do the BMW drivers go? I hear you ask.......

They are not allowed on any road with more than one lane.

All great ideas have already been implemented in the Fatherland :D

Autobahn1.jpg

Too many lorries on the roads today and overtaking day or night causing accidents when the pull out, they should adopt like Germany all lorries on the inside lane from 6am to 8 pm no over taking

Too many lorries on the roads today and overtaking day or night causing accidents when the pull out, they should adopt like Germany all lorries on the inside lane from 6am to 8 pm no over taking

Also no go from 2359hrs Sat to 0001hrs Mon unless carrying perishable goods. Sunday is great for a day out with the family:) or a long fast drive.

Also no go from 2359hrs Sat to 0001hrs Mon unless carrying perishable goods. Sunday is great for a day out with the family:) or a long fast drive.

How about we all stay at home permanently, let's see how long it takes for the petrol stations to run dry. Without trucks you get NOTHING

Really?? We're not the ones causing the pileups as 95% of cars don't signal when changing lanes.

I tend to agree with him here in regards to the accident thing, however i do find on dual carraigeways especialy, long tail backs occur whenever a lorry tries to overtake something 1 mph faster than what ever is in front, this can lead to some resentment/frustration

Last edited:
I don't get all this frustration with lorries, they are just using the road as they can.

Doh...I get it now, it's the get out of my way brigade...applies to anyone that is using the road that they think shouldn't...:doh:

How about we all stay at home permanently, let's see how long it takes for the petrol stations to run dry. Without trucks you get NOTHING

As a general rule, I have no problem with trucks,and of course you are correct that without them we would have nothing,it is also true that without water we would all die,but rain can be a pain in the ??? Sunday in Germany is great..with no HGV vehicles on the road,plus,HGVs in Germany are required to have brushes over the wheels to help reduce the spray they create on wet roads. All vehicles are equal, but some vehicles are more equal than others.:)

I tend to agree with him here in regards to the accident thing, however i do find on dual carraigeways especialy, long tail backs occur whenever a lorry tries to overtake something 1 mph faster than what ever is in front, this can lead to some resentment/frustration

I agree that there will always be some that do that (usually tippers) but most will stay behind (me included) if speeds are closely matched, if I come up behind one limited to 50-52 I usually will overtake as mine does 56, however I will usually wait for a large gap so that by the time cars in the outside lane have caught up I'm already halfway past.

Daz

As a general rule, I have no problem with trucks,and of course you are correct that without them we would have nothing,it is also true that without water we would all die,but rain can be a pain in the ??? Sunday in Germany is great..with no HGV vehicles on the road,plus,HGVs in Germany are required to have brushes over the wheels to help reduce the spray they create on wet roads. All vehicles are equal, but some vehicles are more equal than others.:)

France is the same regarding Sunday driving, probably I suspect due to having a larger country so the extra ones on the road on a Monday morning are hardly noticed. If that came in here the monday commute would probably take all day not to mention the economy suffering as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom