LHD - RHD wiper blades are different...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulXC

SUPPORTER
Car
2018 E220d S213 ||| 2012 E500 4.7 V8 Bi-Turbo Cabrio ||| 2021 Mercedes Sprinter Hymer Camper Van
You live and learn! Never crossed my mind wiper blades would be different but of course they would be....

That's also means I've never changed the blades myself in 12 years of ownership - must have always been done as part of the service. Very poor of me.

Off the return the RHD blades I bought for a refund...

You're not alone. I bought blades for a 12/2008-> 204 for my July 2008 S204, they don't have the slot for the fitting, just the hole for the peg, so didn't sit properly on the screen. Returned for replacement 12 days ago, still waiting for them and supplier not responding to messages.

You live and learn! Never crossed my mind wiper blades would be different but of course they would be....

What? I need more information LOL How on earth do LHD & RHD models of the same car use different wiper blades? They often don't even swap the sweep pattern so I'm genuinely bemused...

This reminds my of grey import motorbikes in the mid 90s. The story was the gear change was on the other side and the front brake moved to the left side

What? I need more information LOL How on earth do LHD & RHD models of the same car use different wiper blades? They often don't even swap the sweep pattern so I'm genuinely bemused...

On my LHD S211 they sweep Right to Left. On the RHD they sweep Left to Right. The hole in the blade for the wiper arm pin fittings on the blades are 180deg swapped.

I can't quite work out why that should be the case - if you fit RHD blades they clip on but are back to front and don't touch the screen on some parts of the blade.

This reminds my of grey import motorbikes in the mid 90s. The story was the gear change was on the other side and the front brake moved to the left side
I once rode a MotoGuzzi with right gear shift / left foot rear brake. That can catch you out if you're not used to it.:eek:

Of course there different, the spindles are on the opposite side of the car and the blade is inverted.

On my LHD S211 they sweep Right to Left. On the RHD they sweep Left to Right. The hole in the blade for the wiper arm pin fittings on the blades are 180deg swapped.

I can't quite work out why that should be the case - if you fit RHD blades they clip on but are back to front and don't touch the screen on some parts of the blade.
I'm really intrigued on this, as all my instincts tell me that the wiper blades should be totally interchangeable, no matter if it's LHD or RHD. Even looking at this YouTube video for your car doesn't tell me that even mounting the blade the other way round would necessitate a different design? Why on earth would an international car manufacture make the replacement of such a frequent consumable more awkward than it needs to be?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom