Lidl Roof Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick K

Car
C180K Avante Garde Estate (S203)
Bought a set a while back on the premise 'at that price might well as get some just in case' A couple of days back this became the case when I needed to carry some extra stuff and bought a Karrite Roof Box on Fleabay.
That is when I found out that the Lidl bars are a fraction of an inch wider than normal ! This resulted in impromptu half round file surgery on the pavement outside the sellers home to get the u-bolts to fit round the bar without being splayed out wider than the roofbox holes. The bar walls were filed through on a couple of ends, only small holes-not enough to affect the integrity of the bars (I hoped !) and later, after a two and a half hour trip, it was still on the roof ! But now the doubt has been planted as to the absolute safety of the bars with box on, at speed.

So as Lidl always get more stock coming through and you should be tempted, be warned !

Last edited:
I got the Lidl bars when I had the estate and found the same thing. However, The Roofbox Company were great and stock an adapter kit for the Kamai box we have for about £15.

The bars have done numerous trip down to southern Europe, and look as good as when they were bought. The ones I've got also have a channel in the top which fits the Thule system (so I'm told) and at £25 were a great deal.

12 Plate W212 E250 and ya fitting Roof Bars from Lidl???? :eek:

Rather U than me, Mr E! :rolleyes:

To the O/p.

You could have just splayed the U bolts with a pair of spanners, then brought the ends back in again to meet the clamps.

It's not just Lidl bars that are wider, our genuine VW ones wouldn't fit our Thule bike racks so we have do but another set of Thule roof bars that are the square section rather than aero to fit the racks and Kamei box.

I'd personally not "modify" a cheap set of bars as if cornering at speed or having to brake hard who knows what might happen.

12 Plate W212 E250 and ya fitting Roof Bars from Lidl???? :eek:

Rather U than me, Mr E! :rolleyes:

Well - S211 E220. They have all the TUV approvals and are just as strong as the genuine Thule bars I also have. Thing was, it was either £20-something for a complete bar set to fit the roof rails on the estate, or £70+ for the Thule kit.

It's that miserly attitude that keeps Mrs E in shoes and me in a house in France :D :bannana:

To the O/p.

You could have just splayed the U bolts with a pair of spanners, then brought the ends back in again to meet the clamps.

Agreed if I had been at home and in reach of my tools. Unfortunately I didn't have anything in the car suitable and had to rely on the good will and limited tools of the roof box seller, plus messing about on the pavement with only his gate post top as a workbench was a bit limiting !
Still the main thing is it did the job and if my post saves someone from having the same experience then job done !

I got the Lidl bars when I had the estate and found the same thing. However, The Roofbox Company were great and stock an adapter kit for the Kamai box we have for about £15.

The bars have done numerous trip down to southern Europe, and look as good as when they were bought. The ones I've got also have a channel in the top which fits the Thule system (so I'm told) and at £25 were a great deal.

Given time and opportunity that's what I would have done, but this was all on the day of traveling home, so Sods Law was in operation !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom