Life of W211 E55 Sparkplugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Attention JohnEBoy!

Hi mate. Mine once carried a plate like that... B555 SSS or something similar. Not home now, so can't check.

(Came across this thread in my search for the best plugs to put in).

Evening Tim!

No - it was a 3 letter and 3 number (so pre-1963 plate) 2003 black E55 that lived near me (and was one of the reasons I decided to go for one when I heard it reverberating down the road near me) which I thought could have been Jim when he had his - which I think was a 2003 as well.

Although I would recognise it, I can't remember the plate now as the car disappeared a couple of years ago from the road it lived on although it must live round this way somewhere as I've seen it since and did the traffic light grand prix in the wet with it although he didn't try at all.

Where has that 3 years gone?!

Hi, almost imposible to tell. A lot depends on how your milage is generated, if you only go to the shops once or twice a day nowhere near 100,000, also what type of plug being used, Iridium, standard, platinum. I have found it good practice to back the plugs off once every two years and re-tighten them, this helps prevent them seizing up, or just re-place them (not on a v12 though)

Although they are said to last for many thousands of miles, I am sure I read somewhere on here that they have compressible washers, and should not be re-used once removed? I may be wrong. It's late and I have had a beer.

Neil

Ok, since the thread was revived.....

On a general note, plugs these days can last for very long time, especislly quad-core, Platinum, or Iridium.

Manufacturers generally specify from 50k miles to 80k miles, depending on the plug type.

The real issue, as others said, is thread corrosion.

I've been looking at Bosch FR6MPP332 and and NKG7090 / NKG ILFR6A, but am a bit out of my depth TBH.

From what I read, the Bosch have exactly the right depth. The NKG are a tad shorter, but better plugs. I don't need step colder plugs, as temperatures wont get too hot. So I've learned something!

If anyone has advice, it'd be we'll received!

They are all good plugs. Ecp sell the Bosch platinum plugs for reasonable money

Not directly related... on the subject of plugs, just a nostalgic reminder of the glass plug we used to fit for tuning idle speed on Weber DCOE carbs...

...interesting to see that it has a modern equivalent:

aemuego.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom