Life of W211 E55 Sparkplugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

How long will the spark plugs last on an E55 please?

I've read 100,000miles - is that correct?

Hi, almost imposible to tell. A lot depends on how your milage is generated, if you only go to the shops once or twice a day nowhere near 100,000, also what type of plug being used, Iridium, standard, platinum. I have found it good practice to back the plugs off once every two years and re-tighten them, this helps prevent them seizing up, or just re-place them (not on a v12 though)

Mine were last changed in 2007 at 30k

Car has now done 66k - do you think its time for a change?

Should probably add car does a mix of long (250miles once a week) and short trips (20 miles five times a week)

Last edited:
BIGJIM, normally 4 year periods, mainly to stop them siezing or 50K miles, so probably time to change yours

Thanks Chaps,

I think the car is in that difficult transition period between Merc stamps and Indi stamps. She currently has a FMBSH but as this next service, complete with plugs and brake fluid change will be £800, I'm tempted to break the FMBSH and go for an Indi.......decisions, decisions. :wallbash:

Jim

She currently has a FMBSH but as this next service, complete with plugs and brake fluid change will be £800, I'm tempted to break the FMBSH and go for an Indi

That does sound quite steep for what they are doing.

Mine is due a C service next but I am not sure if the plugs were done previously or not. I imagine I will be getting them changed if there is any doubt.

Service is 250
Brake fluid change is 250
Plugs are 350
It also needs a new pollen filter 50

Then they gave me 100 off because I sucked my teeth and said I was going to an Indi for a quote.;)

I guess I could get the service down at MB and the other bits with an indi - that might keep the cost down and the service book consistent. Is that allowed?:confused:

Service is 250
Plugs are 350

Then they gave me 100 off because I sucked my teeth and said I was going to an Indi for a quote.;)

I guess I could get the service down at MB and the other bits with an indi - that might keep the cost down and the service book consistent. Is that allowed?:confused:

Yes, but in all honesty, I don't think the majority of people give a Castlemaine XXXX about FMDSHs.

I used to be quite 4n4l about them until I found out a lot of MDs are seemingly incompetent at servicing anyway - and often good independents do a better job anyway.

I bought mine with two MD stamps and two inde stamps.

Save yourself some cash - I bet you it makes zero difference when you come to sell.

Not bothering to service it, or keeping the service history together - that would be like shooting yourself in the gonads come resale...

PS: Does your car have 3 letters and 3 numbers on the number plate starting with a B?

Last edited:
Service is 250
Plugs are 350

Absolute rip off.

Plugs for £350 is a effing joke.

Brake fluid for £250 is a pee take. It takes 1.5 hours and two litres of fluid but £250!!!

Thanks Guys

I think its time to shop around then!

Olly, if only you were nearer! :cool:

JohnEBoy said:
PS: Does your car have 3 letters and 3 numbers on the number plate starting with a B?

No, mate. As Luke Skywalker would say 'These aren't the droids you are looking for.' :)

Service is 250
Plugs are 350

Bigjim, i had mine serviced 2 weeks back they quoted;-
B service - £370 with my own oil
brake fluid change - £145
pollen filter - £45

got a silimlar discount as they done it for £470 all in

Plugs i done myself and the service manager said to make a note in the service book and they will take that into account when it comes up next.

Which part of the country are you from Jim?

I'm sure there must be a good inde somewhere not far from you...

Good news all round.

BG Griffiths in Bristol can do the car next Thursday.
www.bggriffiths.co.uk/

Their prices are considerably lower

Service is 140
Brake fluid change is 30
Plugs are 112
It also needs a new pollen filter 19
Labour 75

Basically, a saving before MB discount, of £450. :bannana:

do they know how many plugs there are and they are around £9 each trade!

For some reason, I thought they were going to be bleedin' expensive.

But if you divide Mercedes prices by (E) 55, I'm sure you get £7.25 each...

:D

Yes, but in all honesty, I don't think the majority of people give a Castlemaine XXXX about FMDSHs.

I used to be quite 4n4l about them until I found out a lot of MDs are seemingly incompetent at servicing anyway - and often good independents do a better job anyway.

I bought mine with two MD stamps and two inde stamps.

Save yourself some cash - I bet you it makes zero difference when you come to sell.

Not bothering to service it, or keeping the service history together - that would be like shooting yourself in the gonads come resale...

Attention JohnEBoy!

Hi mate. Mine once carried a plate like that... B555 SSS or something similar. Not home now, so can't check.

(Came across this thread in my search for the best plugs to put in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom