lifespan of tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjacques1

Car
2006 C180 Kompressor Sport
Hi all.was washing the car today and noticed the rear tyres are getting low on tread.It has done about 12 000 miles ,they are conti sport contact 3.is this about normal wear for these tyres ?

Unless you really press on a lot I'd say that's only about two thirds of what I'd expect - is the wear even?

For what it's worth my view is: 5yrs or 3mm, which ever comes first, that's provided there's no damage or incorrect wear.

It is impossible to say.... the tyre's compound is only one factor.

Tyre service life can be anything from a few thousand miles to tens of thousands - depending on the type of car, the axle it is installed on, the surface it is driven on, the tyre pressure, and the driving style.

Additionally, you did not say what you consider to be 'low' - i.e. how many millimeters?

I would say that if you keep the tyres correctly inflated and the tyre wear is even across the thread and across the axle then this is fine.

I wouldn't want to go into winter, particualrly in RWD, with tyres that are getting low.

12K miles is short, but lots of stop start, with less than gentle starts, could easily to that. C63 owners think they're ding well to get half that.

I've been very surprised how well the tyres are doing on my S212. 21k now on the original tyres. Although I have winter wheels too. So the summer tyres have done maybe 13-14K. Still showing 6-7mm.

One of the lesser mentioned items is that standard tyres wear quicker in the winter cold. I factored this in when getting the winter tyres - which too look hardly worn over one winter. If I keep the car for a few years then I'm probably going to pay for the winter wheels in less summer tyre wear.

For what it's worth my view is: 5yrs or 3mm, which ever comes first, that's provided there's no damage or incorrect wear.

I can't recall it being stated as 5yrs before - some manufactuers say 6, other don;t set a limit.

I'm changing my fronts this week as they're 6 yrs old, prob less than half worn, but the wheels are bing refurbed so I'm taking the opportunity to do it then. Also changing from Summer to All-Season - put All Season on the back last year.

I can't recall it being stated as 5yrs before - some manufactuers say 6, other don;t set a limit.

I'm changing my fronts this week as they're 6 yrs old, prob less than half worn, but the wheels are bing refurbed so I'm taking the opportunity to do it then. Also changing from Summer to All-Season - put All Season on the back last year.

Where you running a mix of summer and all season last year?

5yrs/3mm is only my view as I said above. Anyway, at the end of the day I'm just an average Joe behind the wheel, look after the tyres and maybe they'll look after me.

bigjacques1 said:
Hi all.was washing the car today and noticed the rear tyres are getting low on tread.It has done about 12 000 miles ,they are conti sport contact 3.is this about normal wear for these tyres ?
2500 miles here!:)

It's a good all round tyre, but unfortunately longevity is not its strongest feature.

I can personally recommend Goodyear F1 AS2's as a longer lasting replacement. Very good in all conditions and wear rate appears to be about half that of the Conti 3's. I'm sure there are others that other people can recommend too.

Cheers

Steve

bigjacques1 said:

As 4 of these go on mine on Wednesday I'll note the mileage and update this thread. I expect it to be before 5 years however!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom