Light end C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8andTurbos

Car
MK5 Golf GTI + C63 AMG
So went for a quick drive today and noticed when accelerating hard in 4th gear near the limiter so circa 100mph the steering started to feel light and the steering started to lose some feedback. Cars recently had front inner tie rods and track rod ends, both side and OE Mercedes parts, new OE Sachs dampers on rear and full alignment at Mercedes. Cars running 507 wheels with stock tyre size and Michelin pilot SS.

Before the car had the work done I don't remember steering feeling like that.. Could it be down to incorrect geometry settings or maybe wheels? All 4 wheels were recently balanced and have to vibration

heard the same thing from other members on here with c63's,

Is this a normal trait to the c63 then? Is there anything that can be done to reduce this..

Is this a normal trait to the c63 then? Is there anything that can be done to reduce this..

I haven't experience that in mine always feel nimble and planted and I've had the end of the clock many times , around 180 it feels a bit light at front end but that is normal.

I haven't experience that in mine always feel nimble and planted and I've had the end of the clock many times , around 180 it feels a bit light at front end but that is normal.

I haven't experienced it either and I have had mine at the better end of the speedometer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One member complained of the same issue and he too had Michelin Pilot SS tyres fitted.
Changed the tyres and the issue disappeared.

One member complained of the same issue and he too had Michelin Pilot SS tyres fitted.
Changed the tyres and the issue disappeared.

Indeed mate , but also there is some members here that only use them.
I'm a continental man .

Mine only feels light over 170

i noticed getting wider tyres than standard has a more planted feel in comparison to the standard skinny tyres on a c63. perhaps this might help?

I'll potentially go wider next tyre change

Last edited:
Ill get the current geo settings from merc tomorrow and post them up. Might revert back to the OE conti 5's on my next tyres change..

Last edited:
Just had a read of the other thread..

In regards to susp my cars been looked over thoroughly and nothing's broken etc..

Of the people who posted on my thread, what tyres do u run? Anyone else run PSS and how does the car handle with them?

ran oem setup on pss 235/35/19 and 255/30/19 wasnt very good in the wet, traction lit up quite a lot. now running pss 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 car feels much better. recently got mb 4 wheel alignment on car too. traction control doesnt light up as much and car feels planted. would definitely recommend trying

be interesting to compare your results with mine as we both had ours done at mb

V8andTurbos said:
Cars recently had front inner tie rods and track rod ends, both side and OE Mercedes parts, new OE Sachs dampers on rear and full alignment at Mercedes.

Is yours a high mileage car ?
Why did it require new dampers?

Most people change the springs (Normally put on H&R) or go for a full coil over route which removes the "light" feeling at speed.

ran oem setup on pss 235/35/19 and 255/30/19 wasnt very good in the wet, traction lit up quite a lot. now running pss 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 car feels much better. recently got mb 4 wheel alignment on car too. traction control doesnt light up as much and car feels planted. would definitely recommend trying

be interesting to compare your results with mine as we both had ours done at mb

How much do MB charge for full wheel alignment?

It was me in the other thread, I honestly dont care what others say but Michelin PSS are too soft for these cars, the sidewall isnt stiff enough which is what causes the light floating feeling, everytime I took the car out for a good drive it was squirming all over the place. My car has not done this with Yokos or contis and after searching on mbworld there is a few other people who say the same.

I noticed too when I took them off how much I could press down on the tyre and it would flex alot, the contis or yokos did not do this too.

Another guy on here had the same problem with same tyres and he got the upper control arms replaced which fixed the problem.

Mb Newbridge in Edinburgh did it for me FOC, however they charge normally around £90. not sure what other dealers charge though. be in the range of £100-£200 maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom