Light steering at higher speeds.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
So recently, had the front and rear suspension arms and anti roll bars as well as rear subframe bushes changed as well as a full geometry.

I've noticed now that on long faster sweeping bends at higher speeds, the car feels very light on the front.

I've heard people talk about this before but has always felt planted.

Not so now - is this just the way it is or something I can resolve?

I tried searching but I am getting the 'Page not displayed' at the moment.

Anyone with an E55K had this?

Was the suspension loaded when the arms were fitted?

I hate light steering feeling at speed, would deffo anoy the hell out of me, funny enough i mixed a Nct5 with a efficiant grip tyre on the front and had a similar effect, i put the odd Nct5 to the rear and the steering was so much more planted you wouldnt belive.

Was the suspension loaded when the arms were fitted?

What do you mean?

It didn't do it on the motorway home at all nor did it do it this morning on the way in btw.

I hate light steering feeling at speed, would deffo anoy the hell out of me, funny enough i mixed a Nct5 with a efficiant grip tyre on the front and had a similar effect, i put the odd Nct5 to the rear and the steering was so much more planted you wouldnt belive.

It is a bit unnerving at higher speeds! I know it wasn't an issue previously so can rule out the tyres thankfully!

Last edited:
I had pulling issues after getting one of my arms replaced, it could be your tyres have worn irregular because of the worn arm and now its back to norm its not sitting in the same position and feels lighter , bit like getting tracking re-done with worn tyres

how old or worn are your tyres?

I had pulling issues after getting one of my arms replaced, it could be your tyres have worn irregular because of the worn arm and now its back to norm its not sitting in the same position and feels lighter , bit like getting tracking re-done with worn tyres

They are on around 3mm but I will check how they are wearing.

Just had the geometry done so maybe this is the issue - not something I've encountered before.

Thanks gents.

some times tyres just 'die', even if there's thread left.

I drove my CLS55 very hard in Norway and pretty much killed the rear tyres (even though it was on 4mm). On the way home in Germany on unrestricted autobahn, the car felt light and almost floaty at very high speeds (not happened before).

changes the rear tyres as soon as I got home, and car felt stable and solid as a rock again at high speeds

exact same thing happened with my Boxster in the Alps ..

one day, car was superb. next day, it was like another car altogether; flighty, loose and generally horrible.

new tyres all round, back to normal. again still around 4mm of thread remaining

Last edited:
the car felt light and almost floaty at very high speeds (not happened before).

flighty, loose and generally horrible.

Yes, that's exactly what I am getting. I've not come across tyres with tread being pants before either!

I thought I could rule out the tyres as it was fine before but given the geometry was out - it certainly makes sense.

The fronts probably are tired.

I suppose this is the first car I've had long enough to start to experience this sort of thing. This is the first car I've needed to and had a decent geometry check on (twice) as well!

Some brand of tyres do lose a huge amount of grip at 3mm. Others will wear to the canvas and still produce good grip.

Heat cycles can also have a massive effect on some tyres. (Learnt this from some track days)

I just checked my tyres this morning and my rears are down at 2mm. They are continental sport contact 2s which were fitted in January 2012. I can't believe that they still feel like they have 100% of the original grip. I can use all 400ft lb of torque without much issue.

I know which replacement tyres I'll be ordering in a minute!

Some brand of tyres do lose a huge amount of grip at 3mm. Others will wear to the canvas and still produce good grip.

It's strange because I have run down Michelin PS3s on the front before on the same wheels and they were fine. Obviously tyres don't meet exactly the same conditions in a lifetime but arguably the first set of tyres I put on the front had a harder time as they did Vmax and it wasn't long after I got the car :)bannana:).

In fact, I've run Michelin PS2s and PS3s to 1.6mm before and never had an issue (including on a previous M3) so perhaps the geometry changes exacerbated the issue in this instance... :dk:

^ I think you have hit the nail on the head John. Your tyres have worn to the original steering set up and now it's been changed, the tyres are in effect worn unevenly, so you are experiencing issues. Time for new tyres I think.

At least I will get GYF1A2s on all round to really see how they perform!

:bannana:

Every cloud and all that...

This "Bolt-on" would do it

Aerofoil2_zpsgrqmoajr.jpg

Sorry, serious subject, just couldn't resist :eek:

Robert

As a foot note to this - I've since driven the car a lot on all sorts of roads at all sorts of speeds to try it out, and whilst not on exactly the same bit of road as when this first occurred, I can confidently say it feels planted all the time.

The road surface on the road where it first did it is new but very poorly done and not so long ago - so I think it is sub-standard.

:rolleyes:

I've noticed now that on long faster sweeping bends at higher speeds, the car feels very light on the front.

Road surface could be the reason - noted.

However, there has been some good advice on this thread.

My thoughts are that you might be experiencing some mild understeer where the front does not feel planted, but in fact feels as though it wants to wash-out, or skate across the road.

You do state that the problem is on long fast bends, so I was thinking "What has changed?" Answer: you're entire suspension setup :eek:

If you are still concerned about it (and I would be!), I suggest a visit to a different 4 wheel alignment firm to have the geometry re-checked. I suspect the toe-in angles at the front are out and this is affecting the car's cornering ability.

(I have my SL checked every 6 months and if they make an adjustment (to correct where a pothole has knocked things out of kilter), you can feel the difference on the drive home.)

Remember, we are talking fractions of a degree that make a difference.

Just a suggestion :)

Cheers,
Robert

If you are still concerned about it (and I would be!), I suggest a visit to a different 4 wheel alignment firm to have the geometry re-checked. I suspect the toe-in angles at the front are out and this is affecting the car's cornering ability.

See post #1 at the end of the first line!

First thing I did after getting the suspension done.

This is why I am not worried about it. I've since driven on the crap road and it is very choppy with all sorts of slightly odd cambers. Everywhere else? Planted as before...

Seems like they surfaced it with some mushed up dog turds and old socks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom