Light switch r231

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
I have a r231 sl400 2015 build bought this spring. Now it's dark evenings I have taken the car out and noticed that the light switch is not illuminated. It's a 5 position switch and none of the positions are illuminated ,just the knob . Is this normal?

Also is anyone else having trouble overriding the intelligent light function. Can't seem to get full beam as it won't let you . I like the idea of all the light functions but I still want to be able to control the lights myself if need be

Advice welcome

I believe that this is normal. It is on both of my W203's. They look like they should be illuminated? but they are not. A check on here some time ago confirmed that certainly on the W203 they are not illuminated. Strange and I have no idea why it is not.

Not on my 203, until I replaced the factory fitted halogen lamp switch with the type required for the retrofitted xenons. Surprised me when all the symbols lit up!

The xenon equipped CLS didn't illuminate..

Also is anyone else having trouble overriding the intelligent light function. Can't seem to get full beam as it won't let you . I like the idea of all the light functions but I still want to be able to control the lights myself if need be

Momentarily: just pull the lever towards yourself like on any MB.

More permanently: have a look at the settings menus at the instrument cluster, you should have an option to turn of high beam assist. Once off, just push the lever forwards for high beams, like on any older MB.

Momentarily: just pull the lever towards yourself like on any MB.

More permanently: have a look at the settings menus at the instrument cluster, you should have an option to turn of high beam assist. Once off, just push the lever forwards for high beams, like on any older MB.

You can also switch the lights away from AUTO to 'On' and then the high beam assist is temporarily disabled - of course the lights are now ON, but they don't get left on when you switch the engine off.
(It was this that caused my MB dealer to replace the headlamp assist camera on my last car, I realised this after picking up the car !!)

Richard

ILS is only on if you push the lever away from you .. in normal position, it's just standard lights

ILS is only on if you push the lever away from you .. in normal position, it's just standard lights

I'll be a pedant here so no one gets confused later when reading this thread.

Headlamp Assist is only on when you push the lever away from you.
ILS is on as long as you have not switched it off in the cluster
ILS does a lot more than Headlamp Assist and is about the way the lights move going round corners, based on speed, if there is fog (i.e you switched on fog lights etc)

R

by Headlamp Assist, you mean High Beam Assist

I hadn't realised about ILS .. will check settings.

My conclusion is to leave ILS on in the cluster and light switch to "auto"...then override main beam ILS when required by switching the light switch to "on"

by Headlamp Assist, you mean High Beam Assist

I hadn't realised about ILS .. will check settings.

Yup. Mercedes sometimes call it "Automatic High-Beam Control" or "Adaptive High-Beam Assist" and probably various other things too !!

Richard

Not on my 203, until I replaced the factory fitted halogen lamp switch with the type required for the retrofitted xenons. Surprised me when all the symbols lit up!

The xenon equipped CLS didn't illuminate..

Seems hit and miss my CLS Xenon did illuminate, however the C209 doesn't?

You can also switch the lights away from AUTO to 'On' and then the high beam assist is temporarily disabled ...

I had missed this option completely. Very useful to know if there would appear any need to switch high beams on manually. More likely to happen with the older W212.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom