light weight alloy wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
been thinking of getting 19" wheels for my CLS when the current 18" tyres wear out.

saw the new ultraleggara HLT range from OZ racing .. looks great.

ozracing_itech_ultraleggerahlt_mattgraphite.png

does anyone know if they are any good?

the website is not easy to use, but it appears they do this wheel in 19", but maybe not the width required for my rears

I want the wheel as light as possible.

suggestions and thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

Lightweight = fragile?

Most of these wheels are designed for track not the pot hole ridden public roads

OEM only Sean, you know it makes sense!

Surely the air suspension will sort out any added harshness in the ride.

S

Originals only for me, I'm afraid.

They look like a Halfords special.

Nothing wrong with after market alloys Sean just choose the right ones i prefer team dynamics over Oz but either ok. However I'm with *** i think 19" will upset the ride and handling

Oz wheels are top draw in Racing Circles so to compare with cheapo Halfords shyte is an insult!

Nearly bought some Oz 19" for my car but dropped on some AMG's instead.

19" wheels ride and handle brilliantly if you have decent suspension.

Worth noting that OZ make/have supplied wheels to a number of OEMs, including very expensive Mercedes-Benz/AMG wheels ;)

How do these compare weight wise to your original 18s, and don't forget the additional cost of insurance.

Whilst lightweight wheels do make a difference to the way a car performs/handles etc, is it going to be enough to justify the expense/looks/hassle etc for a fairly heavy (but powerful!) road car?

Just my thoughts :)

Most 18 inch AMG's are in the 13-14kg bracket, the 19 inch can get as high as 18kg for the SL65 split rim type. The CLS will handle 19's without killing the ride but tyre choice will equally be as important as not only rotating mass but as further way from the axis the impact is greater. General consensus on tyre weight is Michelin or Pirelli, but Toyo apparently lighter still.
I still think the Forgestar wheel range offer the best overall value, lightweight and good price.

Oz wheels are top draw in Racing Circles so to compare with cheapo Halfords shyte is an insult!

They may be 'well regarded in racing circles', doesn't stop them looking like Halfords specials.

Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions.

I love the ride of my OEM 18" AMG wheels.

I also like the look of the car on 18" wheels.

However, 19" would look good, but only if ride and handling does not deteriorate. That's the reason for lightweight wheels.

Am not wedded to the 19" idea, just exploring options.

I do really like the design of the OZ Racing's Ultraleggara HLT. Not so keen on the Team Dynamics, but I see that they have other designs too.

I think Airmatic will be OK with 19" wheels .. on the basis that it's generally OK to increase by 1inch OEM wheels. After all CLS was available with 19" wheels as standard.

Ideally what I want are super light weight super strong rims in a design which I like ...

Don't know anywhere near enough about this area to even begin to know which manufacturers to consider, and what sort of wheels: cast, forged, form flowed etc etc.

like the look of this (available in 18" too):

f14brushed.jpg

and this:

cf10main.jpg

sean,

no problem with the ride on my 19`s, the perf pack wheels are actually very heavy but ride almost like 18`s comfort wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom