Lighting Improvement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pietre

Car
Volkswagon Phaeton V10 5.0L
I have the non xenon just H4 headlamps. If i replace the bulbs with Xenon will i get an improvement, or should I try to mount some PIAA spots or equiv. Most of my driving is on m/way and country lane first thing in the morning approx 6:15am to work. Any advice please. :rolleyes:

You certainly will. I replaced my headlights, sidelights and beam lights with xenon charged bulbs and now I can see for miles. :)

Lighting

Did you go for a particular make or type, and what cost does it work out to do the lot? :cool:

I fitted Osram Silver stars which you can read about and cost on http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ . I also fitted silver indicator bulbs and PIAA extreme side lights both bought from Jimmy. I have been delighted and have pasted my MOT after fitting them;)

er past, as in silverstars are legal and are "e" coded where as many other very bright bulbs are too bright for road use and dont carry an "e " mark. Hope this helps!

Are MOT testers actually required to check whether bulbs are e-marked or not?

Would have thought just that they illuminate, and are aimed correctly should be enough .....

R2D2 said:
er past, as in silverstars are legal and are "e" coded where as many other very bright bulbs are too bright for road use and dont carry an "e " mark. Hope this helps!

Sorry, couldn't let this one go - "Passed" perhaps is the word we are all looking for.

I'm sorry! This is wot comes phrom workin an doin Forum at the same time. I uzed too Bee Aibell to spel butt now I'm not sow surre.

I did an upgrade on my W211. Check out this thread for details and photos. It also has links to other threads that may help you make a decision. The Silver Vision Indicator bulbs gave the best effect in terms of looks.

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7779&highlight=piaa

Last edited:
If i change my bulbs to PIAA extreme white, what bulbs do I need to order. I phoned the $tealer to be told he didnt know what fitments the bulbs were. I would like to replace the main and dip with Xtreme. i think the fogs can stay as std to reduce glare when they are used in anger. If anyone in the club sells these I would rather buy from them.

Pietre said:
If i change my bulbs to PIAA extreme white, what bulbs do I need to order. I phoned the $tealer to be told he didnt know what fitments the bulbs were. I would like to replace the main and dip with Xtreme. i think the fogs can stay as std to reduce glare when they are used in anger. If anyone in the club sells these I would rather buy from them.
Main and dipped on a 210 are H7 bulbs.

But wait...

You phoned the dealer and they didn't know what bulbs fitted your Mercedes?

Take a shoe, and go find this gentleman. As you beat him over the head repeatedly bellow at him H7 H7 H7 H7 H7

Idiots.

don't go for PIAA bulbs for your main and dip headlights as they are over priced
and don't perform any better than bulbs such as Philips Vision Plus / Osram Silver stars.

In a autoexpress test including PIAA bulbs, Osram Silvers came as their top choice.

Also as an extreme measure you can fit relays+thicker wiring to your headlights to reduce the voltage drop as the any voltage drop will affect the brightness. Not sure if it will make much difference as I'm sure the headlamp wiring is very good on mercs.

The cheapest place to get bulbs is on ebay (£10 per pair H7's Silver stars)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28644&item=7922304824&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Last edited:
Pietre said:

Another example of how our Stealerships are full of salespeople who know bu**er all about what they sell

willy said:
don't go for PIAA bulbs for your main and dip headlights as they are over priced
and don't perform any better than bulbs such as Philips Vision Plus / Osram Silver stars.

I agree that PIAA bulbs are overpriced but they are very, very good. I have tried the Osrams and Philips but in my opinion they don't compare to PIAA's.

Unfortunately we are in a difficult position, there is very little margin for giving discounts as much as I would like to, especially for club members. If there were enough definite orders I could work out a deal, but the trouble is people say they will have a couple of pairs of Extreme whites and then I end up with them sat on the shelf for months and any profit is wiped out. We dont have the market or customers to sell lots of these bulbs, that is why we only stock the minimum amount.

I invested in some of Jimmy's PIAA Xtreme Whites and have found them exceptionally good. Ok they are not cheap, but the results, for me, were well worth it.

I seem to recall that the dipped beam PIAA bulbs are available (H7s) but the sidelights (R434) aren't. The car looks silly with nice bright dipped beams and yellow sidelights.

H99 Super Platinum White PIAA Side Light Bulbs (W5W)

About £8 a pair.

S.

if you fit these bulbs, presumably the headlight adjust function still works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom