Lights to high

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MilesWFB

Car
2015 C220d S205
Hello,
I have a little problem with my 2011 C220 Estate. I have the so-called 'intelligent lighting' but they don't seem too intelligent since they are way too high on dipped beam and on high beam. People always think I have the high beam on but I don't and will flash me but the dipped beam is just too high. Sometimes it will also be way to low but not as often (literally showing around 10m on a flat surface).
Is there a way to 'reset' or lower the beam since it never seems to be in the right position?
Any help is appreciated :)

I believe your car is equipped with level sensors on the suspension that are meant to automatically adjust the beam level. If the sensor arm breaks you might get that sort of problem.

I believe your car is equipped with level sensors on the suspension that are meant to automatically adjust the beam level. If the sensor arm breaks you might get that sort of problem.
Ok thank you for that. How accessible is the arm or is this somthing that needs to be professionally looked at?

If the beam is too high, I would check the front sensor first, based on the premise that if the arm is broken the sensor will give a reading of heavy load on the front and the car will compensate by raising the beam.

There's only one sensor at the front and one at the rear, but I don't remember if it's on the righthand side of lefthand side.

This link explains where it is on the W210, it will probably be similar on your W204:

Pretty sure the self-levelling only adjusts the dipped beam. Main beam is adjusted with the setting screws above the lights.
Have the headlamp aim checked at the dealership. They should set the main beam height and aim first and then check the dipped beam aim. As these are xenon lamps the dipped beam will need to be set using STAR to set the zero or mid position of the levelling system.
Does sound like as markay says one or other of the level sensors has become damaged. Has the car been jacked up recently or any suspension work carried out? Sometimes a sensor arm can go "over-centre" and cause issues.
Usually if the system detects out of range values from the sensors it will default to dropping the dipped beam as low as possible.

Last edited:
If the beam is too high, I would check the front sensor first, based on the premise that if the arm is broken the sensor will give a reading of heavy load on the front and the car will compensate by raising the beam.

There's only one sensor at the front and one at the rear, but I don't remember if it's on the righthand side of lefthand side.

This link explains where it is on the W210, it will probably be similar on your W204:

Thank you for this.

Pretty sure the self-levelling only adjusts the dipped beam. Main beam is adjusted with the setting screws above the lights.
Have the headlamp aim checked at the dealership. They should set the main beam height and aim first and then check the dipped beam aim. As these are xenon lamps the dipped beam will need to be set using STAR to set the zero or mid position of the levelling system.
Does sound like as markay says one or other of the level sensors has become damaged. Has the car been jacked up recently or any suspension work carried out? Sometimes a sensor arm can go "over-centre" and cause issues.
Usually if the system detects out of range values from the sensors it will default to dropping the dipped beam as low as possible.
Do you know how much that would cost? Also, we had the car repairs for some things related to the rear axle and brakes earlier this year and ever since the car has been making a squeak noise at the rear (mainly left). At the moment the sound is only there at low speeds and when the back left tyre is Not under load (left corners, breaking). This also relates to the lights because since the repairs the lights have been acting up. Could this maybe be the problem with the cause of the sound also being the cause of the light problem?

Rear wheel off , at first thought it was some kind of brake balance bias .

Do you know how much that would cost?

Once you get to the sensor, it will have an MB Part Number stamped on it, e.g. A 204 xx xx xxx. Google that number.

From I can see online, non-original new ones start at around £30-£40, original new ones are £100+, and original second-hand off eBay can cost somewhere in-netween.

But get the Part Number first. And obviously check that the arm indeed broken - to confirm that this is indeed the fault.

1604484447837.jpeg

I put these metal linkage rods on my S212 after the weak plastic one snapped. They’re are available for around a tenner online for two 10mm cups, two 10mm M6 ball studs, threaded bar and the black protective plastic sleeve. They’re universal so just need cutting down to size. You can adjust the rear ride height too if you wish and have the rear air bags.

View attachment 104359

I put these metal linkage rods on my S212 after the weak plastic one snapped. They’re are available for around a tenner online for two 10mm cups, two 10mm M6 ball studs, threaded bar and the black protective plastic sleeve. They’re universal so just need cutting down to size. You can adjust the rear ride height too if you wish and have the rear air bags.
Where did you get these pal? i have a 204.302 => C 220 CDI -- 2012 C220 CDI Coupe. Same problem.
new sensors are like £150 and its just the plastic rod that snapped...
The picture below is pretty much what i need:
1642266361773.png

Hi mate and welcome.
These are the one’s I bought from everyone’s favourite internet auction website:

Gone up a little in price now, but still only £12 a side and much better than the plastic. Mine are still going strong.

Good luck with it pal and let us know how you get on 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom