Lights too bright?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
The fact that neither of your headlights "do the dance", it confirms that the most likely fault will be the link on the suspension front or rear, I believe they are fitted on the passenger side, it should quite obvious if something is amiss.

Well, my lights were reset and apparently were dancing.

I noticed the same when I last turned them on so they should be OK.

However, I've not driven home from work yet since where I know which roads will mean I normally blind the car in front - so will find out next week.

Strangely, I was behind the same Mini Cooper S again on my way to collect the car yesterday - but I didn't blind the guy this time.

Had mine checked yesterday and they are spot on.

They are just so very bright, when I'm driving down unlit roads I seem to blinding oncoming cars.

I think mine might be the same.

These are the brightest and newest lights I've had yet.

Also, the kind of cars where the driver seems to be blinded are older cars.

I guess that is why they invented dipping mirrors and photochromics later on.

On-coming is trickier (as I found out with the lorry) - but what can you do...

:dk:

I've had Xenons on my ML and my C350. Never had a problem on the ML, because, I think, the headlights were set higher and always pointing downwards.
On the lower set C350 though, I had to have them adjusted downwards by the dealer because I was always being flashed and in fact I could see on a pitch black night that the lights were high on the windscreens of oncoming traffic.
Now, of course, the range of the lights has been much reduced and I'm not getting night vision anywhere near as good as the ML (except when I can go full beam)...:dk:

Problem with the S210 is that the main and dip are focussed together, which imo is pretty silly. Now it is all very well lowering the beam if you drive in a well lit town, but I routinely drive through unlit countryside, and I need the main beam to illuminate the road ahead not the hedgerow.

I find the lamps need to be focussed on the main beam otherwise they just provide more light rather than further ahead.
I don't have oncoming traffic flashing me, the dips are focussed down such that I do have to use main beam to see well ahead. Yet I sometimes feel the dips are too high/bright, but if I drop the dips any further we just get a pool of light on the tarmac, not the next bend.

The two lamps are asymmetric, the LHS throws out further to the left and shoots a tongue of light further up the road than the RHS, which has a sharp cut-off.

I'd love to know if there is a way of focussing S210 HID xenon dips independently of the main beam?

Out of interest, for those who are getting flashed and are in new cars, do you still have your DRL fairy lights on?

It is quite common for drivers to flash other cars when driving with their fog lamps on when not foggy and for the uninitiated, the DRLs do look an awful lot like fog lamps.

I leave the DRL's on, maybe that's what it is.

I thought they dimmed slightly when the main lights were triggered?

I'm also getting used to the Auto high Beam.

I leave the DRL's on, maybe that's what it is.

I thought they dimmed slightly when the main lights were triggered?

I don't think it's the brightness of the DRLs. It's because of this:

(warning, strong language)

Urban Dictionary: Fog Light ****er

FU@@@@G FOG LIGHT W@@@R!!!! (At this point it is necessary for you to put your full beam light on in order to 'blind the fog lamp ****er'.)

^ Don't always agree with Urban Dictionary, but that seems fair enough..

^ Don't always agree with Urban Dictionary, but that seems fair enough..

To be fair I have always had the same view myself.

People driving around with their front fog lamps when there is no fog are just idiots.

But of course all new cars have DRLs on them. On the MB, Volvo, Ford and many others, they have been positioned where the fog lamps used to be (the cars no longer have front fog lamps at all) so if you don't know that these are new legislation you are probably wondering why everybody has suddenly started driving around with their fog lamps on all the time and calling them out.

Very strange outcome.

I had the lights checked out a while back as stated previously but I've noticed in the last few days that the lights are now pointing up to the back screen on most cars ahead of me rather than lighting up their cabin like a Christmas Tree, and I am no longer getting flashes from lorries (nor are they using main beam to suggest my lights are not dipped).

What's changed?

Nothing - except it's been washed in between...

Argh!

Hey John, maybe its a level sensor on its way out, id say motor in the lights playing up but that would effect just one headlight. id wait to see if it happens again, then back on to STAR.

I had the same issue with my w211 270 CDI, I took it to the local MB dealer and they adjusted the lights, a lot better but on my first drive into work at night somebody flashed me again! I suppose there is no pleasing everybody. Xenons are very good for rural roads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom