Likely cost of an S-Class B Service.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozpass

Hello all!

I've perused the forums a lot recently, having become a Mercedes owner for the first time in December.

I've bought a 1-owner 53 plate S 320 CDI. It has *all* the toys bar the TV and linguatronic - fully loaded in other words.

The mileage is high - 122,000 on purchase but the car is utterly immaculate, with full MBSH. The previous owner is in my family, so I'm aware that the car has been well looked after, despite its 1000-mile-a-week motorway history.

I've put 1,500 on it myself since purchase, and I'm absolutely delighted with it - smooth, powerful etc. etc. I'm preaching to the choir here so I wont eulogise at great length!!

Anyway, the COMAND reports that a "B Service" is due in 2500 miles. I intend to take it to a main dealer to maintain the 100% MBSH, but was wondering how much this is likely to cost me?

I've budgeted for up to £1200, knowing that Mercedes are a premium brand, and therefore doubtless charge a premium price.

Could any of you inform me of what the "B Service" for my S Class (at this mileage) is likely to entail, and furthermore what it's likely to cost me?

Thanks in advance! :)

Welcome to the forum.

£450 for the service I reckon for the basic service.

Supply your own oil and save close to £100 off that, but remember to budget for the oil you supply (probably about £45 from Costco).

Negotiate a discount to save a bit more. Most dealers will do a discount on cars 3/4 years old ore more. Do shop around

Be prepared though, as it may be due for things like auto transmission fluid change and brake fluid change which will probably cost as much as the service again.

Good idea to allow more though as you may well need to fork out for other stuff too. Fingers crossed you won't though.

Front Discs and pads may need attention - from memory, this set me back around £400 when I had mine. These are heavy beasts and seem to get through a set every 30k or so miles.

Thanks!

Thanks for the valuable advice guys!

I'm pleased that the cost of servicing is lower than anticipated, although I fully expect them to highlight some items that will need work. I will probably opt to have work such as brake disks and pads carried out by an independent.

I've been lucky in so much as certain large items have been replaced on the vehicle already by the previous owner. In the last 50,000 miles this includes the following:

Turbocharger
Torque Convertor
Airmatic Pump
Front nearside Airmatic damper/shock absorber

The car had a small shunt whilst parked - someone hit the nearside front wing which knocked the wheel back and damaged the shock absorber / nearside suspension / front valance etc. etc. I've seen the pictures and it looked like nothing, but Mercedes carried out £16,000 of work (glad I wasn't the Vectra driver in question!!)

At the time they were urged to carry out any additional work that might be required to make it ready for sale, on top of the repair work. They declined to replace the discs and pads then (unnecessary by all accounts) but perhaps this was because a service was on the horizon. I was lucky enough to get four brand new tyres on the 18" rims though!

I'll definitely opt to get my own oil, to ensure a top-notch synthetic as much as to save costs. Does anyone know what viscosity is required, and whether a slightly more viscous oil is recommended for the high mileage?

Thanks once again for all of the assistance - it's clearly a great community I've joined.

Sounds like somebody paid a big bill!!

Mobil 1 in it's standard form should be fine in it's standard viscosity. That's what most dealers use, but charge up to as much as £20 per litre!! I think my dealer is about £14 per litre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom