Limehouse Link Tunnel New Specs Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
Beware as of next week SPECS cameras will be up and running on the Limehouse link tunnel.

Digi-cam aims for speeding drivers

Fines from speed cameras are used to pay for more cameras

The first speed camera in the UK that works without using film is being installed in a road tunnel in east London.
The new digital camera, which does not require servicing, is being tested at Limehouse and should be fully operational next month.
Surveys have shown that nearly all the drivers who use the tunnel break the 30mph speed limit.
In the last three years, 14 accidents there have led to death or serious injury.
Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), told BBC Breakfast the camera would save lives.
"Each one of us knows what the speed limit is and if we exceed it we have less time to react if something goes wrong," he said.

We must target the cameras where they're really needed and then the motorist will react to them because they'll know it is a problem area

Edmund King, RAC

"We need to educate people that many times they need to drive well below the limit at speeds appropriate to the conditions."
With traditional cameras, using film which can run out, motorists hope they can get away with speeding.
But the new digital version sends images along a phone line to a Metropolitan Police centre in Kent.
And fines can be sent out within 24 hours.
Edmund King, from the motoring organisation RAC, said it was important not to over emphasize the danger of speed.
"There are many other causes of accidents," he told BBC Breakfast.
Access to Docklands
"One problem is with the increase in speed cameras there's been a decrease in traffic police.
"A camera can't pick up the drunk-driver or the tail-gater. We must target the cameras where they're really needed and then the motorist will react to them because they'll know it is a problem area. "
The 1.8 kilometre Limehouse Link tunnel, which opened in 1993, is a dual carriageway providing access from the City to the Docklands redevelopment area.
It carries 80,000 vehicles a day.

Beware.
Cheers
Ian

Originally posted by RichardM
I think this is the third time this has been posted sorry Ian!...

Hehe with 3 posts, people here shouldn't have any excuse to get caught in the Limehouse link tunnel ;) :p

S.

Sorry just got back from Holiday this week so I have not got to them yet. Ooops
Sorry
Ian

Don't worry Ian, you're taking the heat off me :D :p

Posting old stories is usually my trick hehe.

S.

Thanks for the info, not that I go there, Bit far off from Preston but I have a question for someone. Does the Road Angel detect them? (Someone is going to say "ask Jimmy at the GTG") I just know it.

it wont be able to detect them in the tunnel

(unless somebody intends to fit the tunnel with re-radiating GPS antennae ;D ;))

but would expect that blackspot will program the device to alert you before you enter the tunnel .... it won't be able to pinpoint the exact location of them.

They have just put a speed camera about 5 metres from the exit of the tunnel on the M25 between junctions 27 and 26 (under Epping Forest). I updated my road angel at the weekend and it now picks it up. Before entering the tunnel it starts to beep and gets to the 2nd bar and then stays on this throughout the tunnel. That’s enough to keep you alart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom