Limp mode E300TD W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Hi All,
I changed the gearbox oil a wee while ago but I couldn't drop the pan due to a stubborn bolt...
The car was acting weirdly after a while. Not moving while engine revving and once in a while I was in Limp mode...

I looked at the oil, it was bad, like the old one...

Then I was told I need to change the filter as it might be clogged. Fair enough, looking at the state of the new oil there was something dodgy there...

I then attacked the bold, dropped the pan,
change oil ( with the proper MB stuff),
the filter,
and also the plug as it was very wet...

From there she still wasn't right, running but not right.
The next day I looked at the gearbox module under the hood and it was a little wet, not much at all, I have seen worse.
Clean it nicely and put it bak.

Then boom, after a wee run she just didn't move out the limp mode.
I am stuck on second gear, no matter when I do, when I am on park or neutral I cannot rev the engine more then 1000 Rpm.

Since yesterday I got once in a while all the BAS/ ECP/ faulty brakes etc ... coming up. But not all the time. Think I got it 3 times. Clear it self after a restart.

The onboard diagnosis do not see any fault at all? Does the onboard diagnosis see all the fault?

Today I took the plug out to make sure it was in place properly.

Now, is there a magic trick to stop the limp mode or its a star only?

Any help would be great :)

Beers :thumb:

I am now recharging the battery as it might be the cause for the BAS etc... thingy. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Did you run the temp up to 80 deg and check the level? Very important.

Also, I think you may have a drain plug on the TC which makes it easier for a proper oil change

Hi Bob,
Yes, I have the dipstick for the oil level, I even put a bit more later hoping it does something but nope.
I did the torque converter indeed.
Thanks.

Then boom, after a wee run she just didn't move out the limp mode.
I am stuck on second gear, no matter when I do, when I am on park or neutral I cannot rev the engine more then 1000 Rpm.

Since yesterday I got once in a while all the BAS/ ECP/ faulty brakes etc ... coming up. But not all the time. Think I got it 3 times. Clear it self after a restart.

I would say the two faults listed above indicate a brake lamp switch fault. The engine won't rev with the brakes on.

I thought of it but why would it rev with the gear on D? Or with on N with only the foot brake on as its not related( I think?)
DM do you think the limp mode is activated with a faulty switch too?
I thought a faulty switch would only give you all the brakes warning/ ecp etc... but not put you in limp mode?

some post are pointing out toward the K40 relay?

Last edited:
Seems to be the Gearbox Module.
My numbers are
A021 545 11 32 EGS51 5Wk33911

There are some with variant numbers? Which one are the numbers I should look for?

On another hand, anyone has a spare unit?

Cheers.
Olivier

Last edited:
Put that number into ebay, there are loads on there

Cheers.
I saw that already but was thinking maybe some got one here :)
I asked Rob from 3 pointed parts but no reply yet ( Sunday me guess).
Let see :)

Here I am again :(
I have changed the gearbox module twice and she still struggle when cold/ first start...
First with the new module I can now accelerate when park and on neutral, something that wasn't possible before. Then there is some progress :)
But again symptoms are the same when cold:
limp mode.
sometimes goes and engage gears like it should after a little warm up but if I go into park and then drive, once again limp mode or when on a slight hill, she is not moving... The engine rev but the torque converter seems to be slipping and not engaging...
Also if I reverse and then put into drive, same as above...
All when she is cold as once she is hot all seems to go well as it should.
Any hint on what would the cause be?
Its an odd one :(

Cheers :)

Just got a Gearshift assembly from Rob at 3 pointed parts and all seems to be OK now...
Took the lump for a wee spin and all gears shifted the way they should. Woohoo!!!
Finger cross it stay like this for a little while...

Olivier really sorry to bother you on this post but have you a direct contact number or email pls ...regarding diesel man egr shunt info i would like to pick your brains please.

thankyou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom