Limp Mode.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmerc220

Car
ML270cdi auto
Hi.
When I start off cold everything is ok the car accelerates as normal. But when it has gone about a mile it goes into limp mode. I notice the engine coolant warning light on the pannel is lit up, can this cause limp mode. Or is it something more sinister than that.

I know the low coolant warning light itself doesn't cause limp mode because I have had that before, I topped it up and off it went.

stupid question, have you checked your coolant?

I know the low coolant warning light itself doesn't cause limp mode because I have had that before, I topped it up and off it went.

stupid question, have you checked your coolant?
Hi
Thanks for your reply Yes checked coolant seems to be right level. Will take it in for a Star check over.

"I can do without stupid comments thank you."...
If you can't take a joke.....

Really need to have any codes read, coolant level warning is just that, a warning to top up, If it's in limp mode there is probably another reason, is the eml on?

"I can do without stupid comments thank you."...
If you can't take a joke.....

Really need to have any codes read, coolant level warning is just that, a warning to top up, If it's in limp mode there is probably another reason, is the eml on?
Hi thanks for the reply. The only light on the dash is the coolant light. It is a ML270cdi auto I checked the engine oil and if anything it seems to be a little over the full mark.Now the bonnet catch will not work so cannot get into the engine bay. Booked it in for a diagnostic check but they cannot do it for a week too busy. Lucky I have my 220 to use in the meantime.

Hi thanks for the reply. The only light on the dash is the coolant light. It is a ML270cdi auto I checked the engine oil and if anything it seems to be a little over the full mark.Now the bonnet catch will not work so cannot get into the engine bay. Booked it in for a diagnostic check but they cannot do it for a week too busy. Lucky I have my 220 to use in the meantime.

Where are you based?

when you say you cannot open bonnet, is it that the handle inside the car does not work or the safety catch on the bonnet ?
Handle inside car.... check to make sure cable still attached.
Safety catch on bonnet, all it does is releases another catch, if bonnet pops up, shine a torch in and you will see the catch, sometimes can be released with a bent wire coat hanger.
If the bonnet release cable has snapped, then that is another issue.

regarding coolant light, it could well be a faulty temperature sender, if it was to send a signal to ECU that there was no water, the ECU would go into limp mode to protect engine. What does the temperature gauge read, should be sitting at or near 80, if it moves up towards a 100, then you have an over heating issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom