Linguatronic and comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The way we have got round this is to have a specific phone with its own Sim Card. This phone is left in the car and is now four years old and still going.

Regards
John

Well, this particular phone probably outruns any modern phone in durability and in the car it isn't stressed, one can expert it surviving as long as the car (better knock on wood, I don't want to see you reporting your phone got broken, and blaming me :eek: ).

But I was after the issue with incoming calls in the case of a phone with its own SIM card in the car. Like it you drive the car in one case, you might divert incoming calls to the car number if not answered (or phone off) from the one you carry. But if your wife drives the car next time, your calls might end up to the car.

But this works fine if one either does not get a lot of calls while driving or if those calling know they should call the number that makes the phone in the car ring.

I'm not trying to sell the BT adapter to anybody, just wanted to remind about that option while I accept other options may work even better in certain cases.

I'm not trying to sell the BT adapter to anybody, just wanted to remind about that option while I accept other options may work even better in certain cases.
That is exactly how I am reading this very constructive post.

Am I right in thinking the gadget you are discussing is a thingie that fits into my Nokia 6310i cradle and then connects with any blue tooth enabled telephone? (is that it?:eek: )

My wife is the only driver of the car, she has a mobile phone so I can contact her, but for the sake of safety, the car has a dedicated number. She can then make safe, hands free calls from the car and if I get in difficulties................. She is just a phone call away.

Regards
John

That is exactly how I am reading this very constructive post.

Am I right in thinking the gadget you are discussing is a thingie that fits into my Nokia 6310i cradle and then connects with any blue tooth enabled telephone? (is that it?:eek: )

My wife is the only driver of the car, she has a mobile phone so I can contact her, but for the sake of safety, the car has a dedicated number. She can then make safe, hands free calls from the car and if I get in difficulties................. She is just a phone call away.

Regards
John
John,

Yes it does exactly that.

I used to have a payg 6210i fitted in my car prior to fitting the viseeo but there is no way i would go back

As for pros and cons

Whilst it makes sense to have a dedicated car number i found i missed a lot of calls because people didnt know i was in the car

I also used to forget to top up the car phone so it was low on calling credit if you make a lot of calls from the car and also have a contract mobile its cheaper to buy a viseeo in the long term

I can have different ring tones for different callers with the viseeo so i know whether to answer or not

I can pair both my wifes and my own phone so she can use the car kit as well but it will choose my phone if we are both in the car allowing her to use her own

The downsides for the viseeo is

A) cost , its cheaper through comand but still a lot of money for what it is
B) It will sometimes lock up and cut off the radio , need to reboot it but this is a minor irritation
C) The viseeo wont work fully with all phones and i cant use the steering controls for making calls with my current N95 , my previous SE K800i was ok though

You can say the viseeo does nothing more than the 6310i option but thats the same as saying a CD does nothing a gramaphone doesnt also do

You can say the viseeo does nothing more than the 6310i option but thats the same as saying a CD does nothing a gramaphone doesnt also do
Having read all the pro's and cons then it would be silly to find fault with this modern innovation and the only thing we would have to research is what telephones anre compatible with the steering wheeel controls.

I would guess my circumstances are outside the norm but this option is still worthy of consideration. Your case is both sound and very sensible.

Regards
John

Having read all the pro's and cons then it would be silly to find fault with this modern innovation and the only thing we would have to research is what telephones anre compatible with the steering wheeel controls.

I would guess my circumstances are outside the norm but this option is still worthy of consideration. Your case is both sound and very sensible.

Regards
John

IMO If you can live with a 6310i as your main phone (many people do) then the viseeo is not worthwhile, if you have a more up to date phone then it is a worthwhile addition imo .

As i said my SE K800i worked very well as have other Sony Erricsons they would be a good start or find a phone you like a put a post up perhaps someone can try one for you

IMO If you can live with a 6310i as your main phone (many people do) then the viseeo is not worthwhile, if you have a more up to date phone then it is a worthwhile addition imo .

As i said my SE K800i worked very well as have other Sony Erricsons they would be a good start or find a phone you like a put a post up perhaps someone can try one for you
What would happen if three people got into the car. Would it detect all their phones or can you program it to only recognise one?

I am not the most literate of folks when it comes to this yer modern teknology

Regards
John

What would happen if three people got into the car. Would it detect all their phones or can you program it to only recognise one?

I am not the most literate of folks when it comes to this yer modern teknology

Regards
John

You can set it to always pair to your phone and if its not there to then look for another

It will only pair to one phone at a time so if it doesnt "see" my phone it will pair with my wifes but you do need to set each phone up initially it wont do this automatically i think you can "pair" up to four phones but as i said it will look for them in the order that they were set up initially

If its chosen to pair to my phone and my wife is driving but i am in the car ...(unlikely:)) then i can just switch my bluetooth off temporarily and it would then pair to my wifes phone

I'm not sure i am explaining it well , its very easy and i fear i'm making it sound very complicated

I'm not sure i am explaining it well , its very easy and i fear i'm making it sound very complicated
I fully understand and the important thing is... It works ;)

Thanksd for the update

regards
John

Remaining with this theme and speaking way beyond my expertise (none)

When Richard installed the Linguatronic module on our early 2004 211 he said something like our car had two modules compared to newer 211's only having one?? I think it was suggested that all the innards were installed in one module compared to the early cars having two?

I am posting this in the hope folks will comment and clarify this point and perhaps correct what I am saying:eek: :eek:

Regards
John

The early Nokia system had a microphone controller which was a linguatronic unit MINUS the talking part. So when you decided to upgrade to VCS you swap the module out without altering the wiring. The microphone controller was necessary in the USA and Japan for TeleAid / SOS and so on. The help service needed its own phone system and a means of connecting the microphone.

In the UK and Australia we still got this module with Nokia pre-wire. In Cars with UHI the microphones were ALSO controlled with the UHI module directly. In cars with UHI and VCS there is still a module for voice control. UNLESS it is a 2008+ model with those smart features built into the COMAND unit.

To understand why some cars have two modules and some have one it is to do with the generation of the phone system. When manually retroftting a VCS module into a car with UHI you have to detach the microphone wires and port them across to the voice control.

Last edited:
But isn't this a completely new generation device too? Not only a SW upgrade. I understand whitenemesis refering to the device improvement from D2B to MOST while I would consider the new step similar even if the new device is still using MOST.

It would be useful to know if say an early D2B based device gets more voice control options when the SW is updated to the latest one that device can take. The same basically for the MOST based device(s).

I should have said 2007. The 2008 gadgets are more technology dense than the older multi-module systems.

The 2008 hardware eliminates a phone module, CD stacker, voice control module and navigation drive. All it leaves is TV, camera and Harmon Kardon.

Thinking about the 250 million dollars it cost to develop UHI / MHI and you start to look at cars which cost much less to produce. Seeing as Motorola etc have to make a profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom