Linguatronic POI search UK not possible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gigdesigns

Car
2017 C250 Prem Plus
I've recently bought a C Class W205 which I believe has Comand NTG5*2. I've starting to learn some of the MB voice commands, one of which is the navigation command:
"POI by name" (You can also say "Points of interest by name")
This command should allow you to do a keyword POI search, however when I try this, I get the response:
"Free POI search for United Kingdom not possible"
I went and saw a MB dealer and they had no advice to give. We also tried the same command in another C class and got the same response, so it's not just me. The silly thing is, you can in fact do a POI search using the rotary dial or trackpad, so if it's available there, why not from a voice command?

Anybody out there using the voice stuff and if so, how would you for example, navigate to Heathrow Terminal 4 using your voice alone?

There's a YouTube clip here showing the functionality working fine in the US, so why not the UK?

I have the C Class W205 but I'm not sure if the Comand is NTG5*2.

I do though have the Linguatronic POI search! :thumb:

I tried it last night and again this morning, press the Linguatronic Button on the steering wheel, say Points of Interest or POI and the Screen produces a List of POI Categories, you are prompted to either state the Category or Scroll down to find the one you want. Once selected though it did state that "Guidance was not available at this time" don't know if that's a fault or Comand was having a hizzy fit! :dk:

Could I suggest that you check your Comand Subscription Status? I had a few niggles with mine, all down to the fact that me Dealer hadn't sorted out the Authorisation of all the Comand Features I had paid for! :wallbash:

Hi John, thanks for responding.

I can say 'POI' or 'Points of Interest' on it's own without the suffix 'by name' and in this case I also get the category list. But this is slightly different from the functionality demonstrated in the YouTube clip where the lady specifically searches for 'Starbucks' after saying 'POI by name'.

If you say 'POI by name', what do you get? I get the message that free POI search in the UK is not possible and then it shows me the same categories list you mention.

I stand corrected:

"POI by name" I get the response: "Free POI search for United Kingdom not possible" :dk:

I wonder of it's as you said an extra for the States, the POI does give you the List in the area you are driving through, but not the option of asking for "Starbucks" or Airport by voice, but the list does contain most POI you just have to Scroll down to manually select it!

Surely someone else out there has also seen this? :doh:

Don't have a new model Merc but just guessing, could this be something enabled by one of the new connected services MB offer?
By the response 'free' suggests one has to pay for the function to operate.

Don't have a new model Merc but just guessing, could this be something enabled by one of the new connected services MB offer?
By the response 'free' suggests one has to pay for the function to operate.

Good point , very well presented:

I had a look at what the Mercedes Me Portal Connected Services offer and it's not in the List, though I did think I had the "Park using your Phone" missing as I don't have an "I" Phone, it appears I have 15/15 Options??? :confused:

There doesn't appear to be the option of POI by Name available, to us in UK, maybe just for USA/Abroad!

Problem is, now I know it exists = now I want it! :(

This is a bug. I reported this to MB over a year ago, they even replaced the head unit trying to figure it out. MB technical have been near useless.

It used to work before the latest COMAND updates so it's not a new feature or one that's unavailable in the UK.

However, where MB constantly fail me I found my own workaround.

Simply say 'free POI search in the united kingdom' as a single phrase.

Definitely a bug and one MB can't seemingly fix. #TheBestOrNothing

This is a bug. I reported this to MB over a year ago, they even replaced the head unit trying to figure it out. MB technical have been near useless.

It used to work before the latest COMAND updates so it's not a new feature or one that's unavailable in the UK.

However, where MB constantly fail me I found my own workaround.

Simply say 'free POI search in the united kingdom' as a single phrase.

Definitely a bug and one MB can't seemingly fix. #TheBestOrNothing
Thanks ManiacGT, that works!
I must say I am constantly disappointed with MB support on the technical side, such a shame because the car itself is brilliant but ultimately let down by the antiquated Comand system.

Oh and in response to other posts here, 'free search' doesn't mean costless (lol) it means without criteria/across all terms. You can also perform a free music search, it doesn't look for non copyrighted music it searches for music with your chosen keywords that may match the title, genre, album etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom