Linguatronic retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wingphil

Car
s600 w220
Hi
I have a euro w220 with the nokia phone install. I would like to upgrade to linguatronic.
I understand it has limitations but still want to proceed.
Anyway has anyone done this, is there a posting that outlines procedure/parts that I missed.

Seriously, why?

I had it in my W220 S600L - novely wore off within a few days of owning it.

Seriously, why?

He might be equally stupid as I am. I've retrofitted a few things that I've never really needed in the car (rear fridge, rear armrest handset...). The idea is that they have to be there, if reasonable to retrofit, not because they would be worth the money and would make everyday life a lot easier.

I've also retrofitted the VCM, it has more functions on the 221 but I mainly use it for phone calls and the W220 should be pretty similar there.

Hi
I have a euro w220 with the nokia phone install. I would like to upgrade to linguatronic.
I understand it has limitations but still want to proceed.
Anyway has anyone done this, is there a posting that outlines procedure/parts that I missed.

You'll probably get detailed instructions soon but you might also want to have a look at the US phone retrofit guides, those usually cover VCM installation too.

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/phone_bulletins.htm

Last edited:
Seriously, why?
I had it in my W220 S600L - novely wore off within a few days of owning it.

I've got it in my C220. Inititially thought it was a gimmick, but once I'd set it up properly I soon changed my mind. I now think it's brilliant. If nothing else, it's so easy (and much safer) making phone calls using it when I need to. I'm only two months into ownership so it's still new, but novelty def not wearing off for me. :thumb:

Novelty

It is true that the novelty will wear off and true that it is limited.
But and its an enourmous but I have a phone install and will be using it.
The biggest problem with phone installs is that we use them whilst driving- it is legal, but impossible to dial without being distracted using buttons. Talking is no issue for me apart from not paying much attention to what I am hearing! But its good for passing messages on!
So thats the reason, not sure anything else will be used using it! Although nav might be -same reason- if it works okay!

The system may be better in later cars and I am not sure whether more advanced versions could be retrofitted to your car but the technology is at least a decade old for the W220's. I found the Parrot that the previous owner had fitted to my (now sold) SL500 a lot more useful. As for controlling the satnav, it was sluggish and a right pain (the Audi A8 was amazing by comparison).

I don't mean to sound negative but having seen what these cars can absorb in maintenance, I would strongly urge that a decent warchest is put aside for the things that will be begin to break down on it.

The system may be better in later cars and I am not sure whether more advanced versions could be retrofitted to your car but the technology is at least a decade old for the W220's. I found the Parrot that the previous owner had fitted to my (now sold) SL500 a lot more useful. As for controlling the satnav, it was sluggish and a right pain (the Audi A8 was amazing by comparison).

I don't mean to sound negative but having seen what these cars can absorb in maintenance, I would strongly urge that a decent warchest is put aside for the things that will be begin to break down on it.

I acknowledge this is a valid point and something worth to consider. Only the car owner can decide what is the correct conclusion (while taking all mentioned aspects into account).

I retrofitted linguatronic to my w211, it's good, value for money, maybe not, but it was the only option missing and I wanted it. Try and get a full shopping list of part numbers then start the search on the web. The most expensive part was the main control unit but I managed to get a new one cheap. Be carefull of the US guides as some bits are preinstalled on USA cars, I needed a lot more than the USA guides stated.

MY OWN CAR CAME WITH VERY LOW SPEC, BUT i HAD LINGUATRONIC RETRO FITTED BY BRAYBROOKS SEVERAL YEARS BACK, ONE OF THE MOST USED MODS i HAVE, TO ME, IT WAS MONEY WELL SPENT.

Just looking at adding this to my vito.
The NTG2.5 has it but no button.
Looks like a different cruise stalk is needed and an extra wire but where will that go, To the radio?
Gong to MB parts for the stalk in the morning, does it have another button on it?

For NTG2.5 it is easier as linguatronic is built into the head unit. Comand Online sell the kit to retrofit the lever and list the parts needed.

Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: Linguatronic VCS retrofit :: Mercedes Linguatronic (VCS) kit NTG2.5 for A/B/W203-C/CLC/E/CLS/SLK

Thanks for that, I was thinking just the stalk was needed?
Why a different switch pack.
Looking on the EPC there is a specific cruise stalk with linguatronic so I assumed it had an extra button?

Your best off asking Alfie or Richard why the swith pack is need.

Last edited:
Hopefully they will come alone soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom