Linking hubs - Crossover needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Going from a wireless/wired hub (Belkin FS07632-4) to a wired hub (NET-LYNX SW8055SX-C)and then on to another wired hub (Netgear DS108) Why is there something in the back of my mind that the connecting cables need to be crossover? I have cable, ends and a crimp tool so easy for me to do

You mightneed a crossover however most hubs and switches these days are auto sensing, so a atraight through should work.
Also some switches which are not auto sensing sometimes have a crossover port - usually at one end, and usually marked with an X.

If you are going switch to switch, hub to switch or hub to hub you will need a x over cable, unless you have a port that has an external x over switch.

Auto sensing is used for port speed and duplex mode.....not for the type of cable.

If you are going switch to switch, hub to switch or hub to hub you will need a x over cable, unless you have a port that has an external x over switch.

Auto sensing is used for port speed and duplex mode.....not for the type of cable.
Not strictly true, the more home oriented kit will normally be happy with either type of cable regardless of how you plan to use it and so will some small business type hardware.

If you have some patch cable try it out, i would be very surprised if the Belkin and Netgear hardware give you any problems but i don't have first hand experience of those models to say for sure.

If the hardware supports automatic MDI/MDI-X configuration it will be fine.

Last edited:
OK - did a bit of digging. The NET-LYNX and Netgear are both autoswitching but the Belkin Wireless Router FSD7632 - first step in the chain - is not (if I understood the Indian call centre correctly! :crazy: )

So final question - does the cable need to be crossover between the Belkin (non auto-switching) and the NET-LYNX (auto-switching)

Last edited:
OK - did a bit of digging. The NET-LYNX and Netgear are both autoswitching but the Belkin Wireless Router FSD7632 - first step in the chain - is not (if I understood the Indian call centre correctly! :crazy: )

So final question - does the cable need to be crossover between the Belkin (non auto-switching) and the NET-LYNX (auto-switching)
No, the one will make the changes.

Final word on this for anybody who searches for the same information

I did need the cable crossed at the Belkin end - thanks to all for the help.

BTW - why don't they design the cable so the ends at least roughly line up ready for termination in a RJ45 end? They seem to be twisted exactly the wrong way! :crazy:

Times have changed.

I can't recall having to bother about hunting down a cross over for at least a couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom