Linksys router warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
I thought I would just document my ongoing experience with this company after having a problem with our wireless Linksys router WAG 354G??

Fifteen days ago I went to log onto the Internet, but failed miserably owing to the router not working. I contacted Linksys technical support and yes..... It was In India. The person I spoke to was extremely helpful, very, very knowledgeable and most important very patient. After 30 minutes of trying to resolve the problem it was decided my unit was defective and had to be returned.

This is where, in my opinion the Linksys returns policy is a major disaster. You get an RMA number..... BUT Linksys simply contact UPS to collect the defective package. After a few days, UPS sent me an e-mail with attached labels to print out and a telephone number to call which arranges for a vehicle to collect the router for returning to Holland. Another two days went by before the lorry arrived, then there is days of waiting for the router to reach its destination and get inspected. I then got an e-mail saying the router had arrived at the workshops, it was in the process of being inspected and if any item was missing from the original packaging, it would be returned without being repaired (I had used this router for over eight months, so wasn't sure if everything single item was actually still in the original box?)

Fortunately everything was in order and last week I was informed the router was defective and it would be replaced. Unfortunately it would take two working days to arrive. (That was last Thursday morning)

I have now received a UPS tracking number and note that it arrived at Exeter at 6am yesterday and SHOULD have been delivered yesterday afternoon. Fifteen days and counting.

This post is just a heads up on what might happen if your Linksys router needs replacing. I originally purchased this item from e-buyer, but they simply referred me to Linksys :mad:

I don't think I will be buying any further Linksys products in the near future. Others might have had a more favourable experience and hopefully they will share that with us.

Regards,
John

Been there, done that, etc. A little bit convoluted, isn't it?

I had to buy a replacement router when my Linksys WAG54G failed, as the replacement takes so long. I gave the replacement when it eventually arrived to a family member where it lasted 2 months before failing.

It's sitting on my desk waiting for me to find the time (and effort) to go through the process again. I have another WAG54G in my office from a client that has failed. Hmm, so that's three down :rolleyes: Same problem with all of them; the ports on the built-in hub failed.

No problems so far with the replacement Netgear DG834GT.

Flyer said:
No problems so far with the replacement Netgear DG834GT.

Ouch,
I was hoping it was a one off.

We need a wireless router with a decent range and the Linksys had proved to be the best of the ones we had tried. I'll have to start doing some research on a decent RELIABLE :) replacement.

Thanks for the update,
John

Happy with my Belkin F5D7633uk4A (ADSL2+ modem / wireless router) ... no idea whether their warranty process is any better though!

Despite a lack of DHCP (see other post re NTL), we find both the 3Com and Cisco Wireless products have very good range and penetration. The only problem is cost !

Glojo-
I assume you need wireless to go into your observatory. As you wil need to run power lines, it might be worth just running some sheilded Cat5 instead ?

WLeg said:
Despite a lack of DHCP (see other post re NTL), we find both the 3Com and Cisco Wireless products have very good range and penetration. The only problem is cost !

Glojo-
I assume you need wireless to go into your observatory. As you wil need to run power lines, it might be worth just running some sheilded Cat5 instead ?

Strangely enough the problem is reaching the study from the router?? We have quite a large house and have had to buy booster type aerials for the different bits. I have a room at the rear of the property, the router is located in the hallway and JUST has the range to reach both locations.

Am I right in thinking that Cisco is part of Linksys? (or vice versa)

John

Edit just had a reply to a feedback form I was asked to complete :)

"We appreciate your time in giving us your feedback. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience you have experienced. Rest assured that we will take action to improve our products and services to better meet your needs."

I suppose they will be giving me the six winning numbers for next weeks lottery.

John

Edit again

Wongl
Thanks very for the link, I will consult with my technical advisor when he comes home (number one son)

Last edited:
Warranty or no warranty it should have been handled better by ebuyer. As they are effectively a warehouse attached to a computer their handling of any kind of return or other query would be poor. It is about time some of these retailers had the sale-of-goods act repeated to them!

Shude said:
Warranty or no warranty it should have been handled better by ebuyer. As they are effectively a warehouse attached to a computer their handling of any kind of return or other query would be poor. It is about time some of these retailers had the sale-of-goods act repeated to them!

My thoughts exactly !

2pence

In my experience depends where you buy your stuff from. I'm VAR so I source my stuff directly from couple of big distributers. And the warranty is basically same / next day replacement unit. On the other hand high volume/low margin outlets are not gonna have time to handle any warranty claims, they'll just send you back to manufacturer.

My experiences ;
Apple extreme, very expencieve, but awesome range, and all config options that you might possibly want (doesn't include firewall).
Linksys is part of Cisco, its consumer arm, solid products.
3 Com , very good, lifetime warranty that works, range not the best
DLink, used to be very good, latest series of products not as reliable
Netgear very good range, try to pick unit with external antenae.
Belkin, same as above but cheaper.

In any case margins on these products are so low, that I personally don't know how they can afford to offer any service (less then 7%).

Regards Voya

My router is Netgear and has been great - very reliable - touches wood rapidly. Two of our network cards are linksys and they too have been fine. It's sod's law though - sometimes you get a lemon but one isn't enough - it has to be replaced with another.:rolleyes:

We bought a rather expensive dining set last year. Within three months the wood on the table had split - was replaced no quibble. Within 7 months the replacement had split too - got an immediate refund - again no quibble. Now that is how customer service should work. None of this packing it up and ringing here and there and this and that. The condition that the box had to contain everything is ridiculous - how on earth does what's in the box affect if the router is working or not - especially if it's faulty. Seems like a very useful get out clause.:mad:

I doubt they'll make any changes to their processes - but they'll just pass the words on though:rolleyes:

glojo said:
Strangely enough the problem is reaching the study from the router?? We have quite a large house and have had to buy booster type aerials for the different bits. I have a room at the rear of the property, the router is located in the hallway and JUST has the range to reach both locations.

Am I right in thinking that Cisco is part of Linksys? (or vice versa)

John

<snip>

Edit again

Wongl
Thanks very for the link, I will consult with my technical advisor when he comes home (number one son)

I have almost the same problem, except my router is in the study and the signal cannot be picked up easily in the kitchen at the opposite end of the house and the room above it. I found the Netgear DG834G better than most and I can get a signal in the kitchen if I leave all the doors opened between the kitchen and the study. I have haven't yet tried the MaxRange, but I have tried repeaters with limited success - they tend to drop out even now and again if encryption is enabled - also you don't get any where near the full speed.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

robert.saunders said:
My thoughts exactly !

Mine as well, but hind sight is a wonderful gift. My first call was to E-buyer, there site comes up with a message similar to:

Your in luck Linksys offer a direct service, simply telephone this number *****

I accept my contract is with E-buyer and not Linksys but it appeared straight forward.

In fairness other electronic\computer companies are nowhere near as bad. With my monitor I contacted the supplier, they wanted me to ship it to them, they would examine it and decide whether it needed replacing. Instead of doing this I contacted the manufacturer (ViewSonic) and within 48 hours a courier delivered a new monitor and took away the defective one. This happened twice within a month :)

What a pity LinkSys do not operate in a similar manner

John

Linksys products are rarely even fit for purpose. Since having one myself, I soon discovered they rarely work and are quite a laughing stock.

Draytek for me.

GrahamC230K said:
Linksys products are rarely even fit for purpose. Since having one myself, I soon discovered they rarely work and are quite a laughing stock.

I'm sorry John's had so many problems, but the two bits of Linksys equipment I have have not failed once in over two years of constant operation and have been very easy to set up and use.

Conversely, a friend of mine had no end of reliability problems with his Netgear router.

Hope you get some satisfaction on this matter soon John. :)

Last edited:
Stating the obvious maybe, but a wireless receiver that's on a short lead and can be moved around to get the best signal will give better range than the fixed type.

GrahamC230K said:
Draytek for me.
3com for me, mainly because I've never had a problem with them and I used to work for a company that pretty much exclusively had 3com equipment and it all worked beautifully :) .

IMHO you're sometimes better off picking a brand and sticking to it for all your equipment, then if something goes wrong the supplier cannot blame the other manufacturer's components ;)

Shude said:
3com for me, mainly because I've never had a problem with them and I used to work for a company that pretty much exclusively had 3com equipment and it all worked beautifully :) .

IMHO you're sometimes better off picking a brand and sticking to it for all your equipment, then if something goes wrong the supplier cannot blame the other manufacturer's components ;)

I'll second that one. It eliminates all too common 'oh, its the other-company-equipment thats causing problems'.

GrahamC230K said:

Draytek for me.

Hopefully no-one from Linksys / Cisco is reading this, otherwise you might get sued for slander / defamation / whatever-else.

Linksys / Cisco always worked fine for me. But , I've heard that their return/service policy is not the best one around.

Regards Voya

Cisco do own Linksys, but it is more like the domestic side....so the cheap end of their product range.

The Netgear N range is good, although like others I tend to stick to one manufacter (per site).

Cisco tends to be 30-50% more than others, but has better support, and tends to work once corretly configured.

I find 3Com a reasonable compromise between price and function. - you get Business standard stuff for little more than domestic prices..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom