Linksys - WAG150N

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanB

Car
W210
Just bought one of these new fangled 'n' standard (well sort of standard) router/modem/wireless access point boxes.

I have set it up fine I think.
I have set up 2 PCs fine and they have full acess to the home network and t'internet.
I have set up 1 laptop and it works fine as above both using Cat 5 and then when disconnected via Wifi (Wifi security settings in place).

The problem

The second laptop does not want to play, (Windows XP)
The router allocates the network card a 192.162.1.** Ip OK, address, but the IP address of the Wifi card seems to be up the kybosh with an address of 169.254. 160.180.

I keep runnig the network wizard and setting the home network as FAMILY (which all the other PCs accept OK). When I go back to the network wizard it is back as it was MSHOME - seemingly rejecting the FAMILY setting. I think this latter aspect is linked to the 169 .254.160.180 IP address.

Any help appreciated as usual.:D

169.254.x.x Address is a windows auto configuration address when windows cant get an IP address via DHCP

Do you have sufficient DHCP IP addresses on the router for the number of wireless clients ?
I am assuming you have the wireless network settings correct as it will also auto configure if it cant get a DHCP address from the router. A slight deviation in SSID/network key etc will mean it cant connect and cant get an address

Hi sorry just a domestic situation here.

3 Cat 5 connections (2 PCs 1 printer).
2 Laptops (wifi)

DHCP set up to issue 50 user Ips.

Thanks
NormanB

then the wireless settings are likely wrong - It cant connect so its defaulting to MSHOME and autoconfiguration IP

I am assuming you are using WPA or WPA2 encryption for your wireless. If this is the case, you will need to apply the MS patch from here in order to connect properly to the wireless LAN.

If you're not using encryption, ignore this.

Will the 2nd laptop connect using cat5?

Is the wireless card enabled (some laptops have a switch for this)?

Turn off the encryption at the router and see if the laptop will connect then.

Thanks to all who posted - very helpful.

I now have it working ( I had the Wep key in the wrong format not hexadecimal).

I am having to use WEP rather than WPA2Personal because one of the laptops is XP (I have downloaded the microsoft patch) but the card is a PRISM that does not seem to have an updated driver that will handle WPA.

WEP is rediculously easy to crack, and even MAC address filters wont help
Change the card and do yourself a favour as you really dont want to be using WEP.

I do Wireless Penetration Testing as part of my job and the look on peoples faces when you bypass the WEP encryption, spoof the MAC of a client and log onto their network after they give you a DHCP address is priceless.
Recent testing for a client in the middle of a very plush area in central London showed 227 APs 6 were open access (openzone etc) so not worth a look, only 1 site was using WPA and 220 individual AP's were using WEP!

We will be busy for a while with my findings informing these people :)

No can't really be upgraded I'm afriad. Best option is to consider a USB adaptor. Another option is a PCMCIA card, many of the 3G data cards double up as WiFi adaptors too, not sure what security levels they support though.

WEP is rediculously easy to crack, and even MAC address filters wont help
Change the card and do yourself a favour as you really dont want to be using WEP.

I do Wireless Penetration Testing as part of my job and the look on peoples faces when you bypass the WEP encryption, spoof the MAC of a client and log onto their network after they give you a DHCP address is priceless.
Recent testing for a client in the middle of a very plush area in central London showed 227 APs 6 were open access (openzone etc) so not worth a look, only 1 site was using WPA and 220 individual AP's were using WEP!

We will be busy for a while with my findings informing these people :)

BTHomeHub can be hacked within less than 5 min... WEP :) :rock:
And you don't need tools to do this either!

Than: no password on Admin account in XP...

Cheers
Chris

At the risk of topic drift! ;)

I have set the router to issue IPS via DHCP **.2 to **.51

I want to set my printer so that it has a static IP of say **.99

Any idea how to do that would be appreciated.
(Linksys WAG 160N).

:eek:

statics are not included in DHCP scope so that would be OK!
Just set your printer with that IP.

Cheers
Chris

I was mucking about with the router for an hour or so your prompt remnded me that you can manage HP printers via the web browser (if they have a network card).

Thanks for the help chaps.:bannana:

BTHomeHub can be hacked within less than 5 min... WEP :) :rock:
And you don't need tools to do this either!

If you use the default SSID you can crack WPA in seconds with the right tool ;)

Homehub as delivered is aweful !

No - I meant WPA ;)

Homehub even with WPA can under certain circumstances be very vulnerable!

If the WPA key was randomly generated then there is not much what you can do about that.

Of course, they might be different routes to gain access...

Cheers
Chris

If the WPA key was randomly generated then there is not much what you can do about that.

IF being the operative word :) - THere was a major flaw in the homehub setup and default WPA key generation

I see. Are you sure that we are talking about WPA and not WEP? yes, WEP is based on SSID (up to 80 combinations) but I'm assuming that other Thomson routers are affected as well!

If one will decide to raise security level by implementing WPA than surelly oe is going to provide it's own key?

Cheers
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom