Linksys Wireless modem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

Ashley

I got my self a Linksys Modem to compliment my new laptop and also for I move my PC to where I have always wanted it.

Anyway I have got to the set screen and I do not have a clue how to set it up for BT broadband anyone know the settings.

Here's mine:

To access the settings type http://192.168.1.1 in IE browser
Username: <blank>
Password: admin

In Basic Setup tab:

Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA

Multiplexing: VC

Qos Type: UBR

Autodetect: Disable

Virtual Circuit:
0 VPI
38 VCI

PPPoA Settings
User Name: [email protected]
Password: <blank>

The username/password will be found in your welcome pack from BT. If it is an older ADSL line you can just use '[email protected]' with anything in password field (can even be left blank). If it is a newer ADSL line the username will be something like [email protected].

You will still need to set up the wireless settings like your SSID name and also the wireless security settings like WEP config, etc.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Cheers Steve. I will give it a try.

It working or not is also pot luck - it's a Linksys thing! I have the older model myself. Hope it does what you want, the reviews are not good.

I can assist more with config if you hit more troubles though.

its not working :(

will not see the dsl line now

Zooman in the Linksys config page, if you go to the Status tab and hit DSL connection, does the DSL Status show as 'UP'?

Have you got the correct details for username/password?

Cheers mate I will have a look tonight but I have to dash once I've had my coffee :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
High-Lo said:
Here's mine:

To access the settings type http://192.168.1.1 in IE browser
Username: <blank>
Password: admin

In Basic Setup tab:

Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA

Multiplexing: VC

Qos Type: UBR

Autodetect: Disable

Virtual Circuit:
0 VPI
38 VCI

PPPoA Settings
User Name: [email protected]
Password: <blank>

The username/password will be found in your welcome pack from BT. If it is an older ADSL line you can just use '[email protected]' with anything in password field (can even be left blank). If it is a newer ADSL line the username will be something like [email protected].

You will still need to set up the wireless settings like your SSID name and also the wireless security settings like WEP config, etc.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Mine is the same as Steve, except that the user name is the first e-mail address I set up with BT.

Got it up and running :)

Next how do I serure it for just my PC and Laptop?:D and get the best internt speeds out of it. As a bouns it is 5 bars to pc :bannana:

Good router Admin password - not the default!
Change the default SSID to something custom - do not include make or model of router!
Lock it down to the MAC address of anything you use on Wireless.
Use WPA encryption nice long key!
Don't broadcast your SSID.
Disable remote & wireless administration of router.

Last edited:
GrahamC230K said:
Good router Admin password - not the default!
Change the default SSID to something custom - do not include make or model of router!
Lock it down to the MAC address of anything you use on Wireless.
Use WPA encryption nice long key!
Don't broadcast your SSID.
Disable remote & wireless administration of router.

I'd go along with all that.

In my street or nearby there are six wireless networks. Two unsecured (totally) and two which identify the house and occupants who have it! Madness.

Alfie said:
I'd go along with all that.

In my street or nearby there are six wireless networks. Two unsecured (totally) and two which identify the house and occupants who have it! Madness.
I love these open networks, as I often need to connect to the web when mobile so just drive to a built up area and search for an open network...Broadband for free, you can't beat it:bannana: :bannana:

I set up a hotspot last year at work, sometimes I wonder how many neighbours are getting their internet for free.

Good router Admin password - not the default! DONE
Change the default SSID to something custom - do not include make or model of router! DONE
Lock it down to the MAC address of anything you use on Wireless. DO NOT KNOW HOW
Use WPA encryption nice long key! DO NOT KNOW HOW
Don't broadcast your SSID. TRYIED AND DID IT WROUNG COULD NO LONGER FIND NETWORK
Disable remote & wireless administration of router. DO NOT KNOW HOW

zooman said:
Change the default SSID to something custom - do not include make or model of router! DONE
Lock it down to the MAC address of anything you use on Wireless. DO NOT KNOW HOW
Don't broadcast your SSID. TRYIED AND DID IT WROUNG COULD NO LONGER FIND NETWORK

I can talk you through all of this but only when I am back in blighty on Thursday. From memory is you go into the admin page, there is a tab for wireless security and in that one option brings up a blank table of MACS you can input to ignore or to allow, there is an option on this table to import the MACS of PCs that are attached at that moment - import it and then select allow only - make sure you do this because it defaults to deny only and yo can lock your own PC off - then you need the cable into the back of the modem to get back in and rectify things.

S

I did it again just before I went to bed but I have found the settings backup now :) which is making trail and error easier..

zooman said:

Disable remote & wireless administration of router. DO NOT KNOW HOW: From log-in page select Administration on the list of menus. Remote administration and upgrade is the second box down. Just click on disable.

Use WPA encryption nice long key! DO NOT KNOW HOW This is in the wireless security sub menu (select wireless first). Linksys calls it "Pre-shared" key. You will need to be sure that the wireless internet card on your laptop will work with this. My Belkin card would not so I ended up using the WEP 128 bit security which is not as good.

Don't broadcast your SSID. TRYIED AND DID IT WROUNG COULD NO LONGER FIND NETWORK You may well have done it right but had not made sure that your laptop was accepted onto the network. The idea is that nobody should be able to search for and find your network. As long as your laptop is correctly registered on the network it should work OK.

Lock it down to the MAC address of anything you use on Wireless. DO NOT KNOW HOW Yes, I got into a mess on this one so I'll watch with interest for the solution.

Hope that helps. It's what I did when setting up the Linksys after my Belkin modem/router died on me.

Peter

Last edited:
Windows Media Player is telling me that files are
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is located on the Internet, connect to the Internet. If the file is located a removable storage card, insert the storage card.
what do i do to allow media player internet access and napster will not play song.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom