Linux- anyone interested?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

columb

Car
W212
Hi everyone,

I wonder if you are interested in Linux?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

It is alternative operating system, which is FREE and actually really nice :)
You might have heard this before :)
I'm happy to answer any questions, help you out setting up you computer etc...

Before people will start asking: NO, I'm not interested in ANY profit. No one will profit apart from "end user". I'm not pushing ONE distribution and I'm not asking for anything :)
Just so you are aware that you can have computer/laptop with free Office software, access to the internet etc - and don't have to pay MS tax!

Dell is doing Ubuntu and other follows. I do prefer OpenSuSE or RedHat or CENTOS as a server distro but choice is yours!

And most important: SAFE and VIRUS FREE!!!

Some background:
I'm working with linux for over 10 years now. At this moment I'm administrating 100+ Linux and Unix servers.
Also, I'm MCSE:S+M so questions regarding Microsoft are welcome, but not in this thread.

If people are interested, than I can bring few laptops with different Linux distributions to the next GTG (22.06.2008) and show how stuff works :)

Cheers
Chris

Hello

Ive bought quite a few 'Eee PC' (mini laptops) for work and they come with linux. The techs seem to quite like then some have installed the full linux os on them as they come some what limited.

Currently buying some HP mini Notes to test them also

yes I looked at Linux and even installed one a while back due to it leaving lots more system resources available when compared to Microsoft products, my problem, and I dont know whether you have a solution, is that my 3D CAD program, Solidworks, was only ever designed to run on the windows kernel and wont run on any of the Linux flavours, Solidworks bods say they will never write a Linux version, so I suppose thats the end of that,

however, if I had a PC which I was going to use for email/surfing/letters than linux is the best thing since sliced bread as far as I know, you get open office with it and the much acclaimed firefox browser, it also means you can use an old/cheap second hand PC instead of a new one as Linux isnt as power hungry and therefore quicker!!!

I run unbuntu on one of my machines, with OpenOffice, I like it.

Ubuntu & Fedora are my current favourites, although Knoppix does a great live CD which is a godsend recovering Windows installations that Windows has given up on.

I thought religion and politics were banned on the forum :p

I jest... I'm a regular *nix user, but I'm starting to use OsX more than Linux nowadays... (I realise OsX is really JALD but I still feel bad calling it that :p)

Oh, and let's not start the debate about which distro is best... I'm a backtrack (knoppix spin-off) person, but it's a pain to install it (normally it comes as a live-disk)

Michele

I thought religion and politics were banned on the forum :p

I jest... I'm a regular *nix user, but I'm starting to use OsX more than Linux nowadays... (I realise OsX is really JALD but I still feel bad calling it that :p)

Oh, and let's not start the debate about which distro is best... I'm a backtrack (knoppix spin-off) person, but it's a pain to install it (normally it comes as a live-disk)

Michele

I am with you on the OsX front, most of the advantages of Linux with few of the vices.

Linux keeps me in a job ;)

OSX is my OS of choice at home though

Can we keep this thread to Linux-only issues, please?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Chris

A forum search for linux might have been an idea before posting? Plenty of discussions here in the past - lots of fan-boys on both sides (and some balanced folk). Would give you a feeling for the responses you might get.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=318

We can give it a go!
wine is like windows - emulator...

Cheers
Chris

is that a windows emulator for Linux? I have tried emulators before, mainly old gaming ones, eg SNES emulator, was suprised how much CPU the emulator needed to run a simple game like F-zero, would a windows emulator running on Linux not take up as much resource as windows itself thus defeating the object? I only ask as I dont know the answer but would be interested to partition and install at home as I have a few hundred gig free at the mo.... (not that I need that much anyway with Linux!!)

pretty sure when I installed last time before I went back to good old XP (I know that statement is oxymoronic like performance Ford or military inteligence) I got a pallete of about 16 colours, I put this down to my Quadro card and never got as far as finding any drivers for linux, I assume www.nvidia.com has them I just got too busy doing something else to look!!

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you are interested in Linux?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

It is alternative operating system, which is FREE and actually really nice :)
You might have heard this before :)
I'm happy to answer any questions, help you out setting up you computer etc...

Before people will start asking: NO, I'm not interested in ANY profit. No one will profit apart from "end user". I'm not pushing ONE distribution and I'm not asking for anything :)
Just so you are aware that you can have computer/laptop with free Office software, access to the internet etc - and don't have to pay MS tax!

Dell is doing Ubuntu and other follows. I do prefer OpenSuSE or RedHat or CENTOS as a server distro but choice is yours!

And most important: SAFE and VIRUS FREE!!!

Some background:
I'm working with linux for over 10 years now. At this moment I'm administrating 100+ Linux and Unix servers.
Also, I'm MCSE:S+M so questions regarding Microsoft are welcome, but not in this thread.

If people are interested, than I can bring few laptops with different Linux distributions to the next GTG (22.06.2008) and show how stuff works :)

Cheers
Chris

I have a few thousand linux servers to look after myself (some of the time). Its not bad but the front end still needs a lot of work in my opinion.

Last edited:
I've got linux on my PlayStation 3 - does that count? :D

I have a few thousand linux servers to look after myself (some of the time). Its not bad but the front end still needs a lot of work in my opinion.

Frontend? For what?
You mean KDE or Gnome? have you seen compiz/etc? :)

Cheers
Chris

I like Linux (Ubuntu), only problem Iv'e found is networking, if they made it as simple as Windows (right click and share) then its a winner, but having to mess around with samba etc can be a pain to get it working

Frontend? For what?
You mean KDE or Gnome? have you seen compiz/etc? :)

Cheers
Chris

Gnome and KDE are sadly a long way behind windows in terms of presentation / look and feel. Happily though the meat behind it is far better than windows.

Gnome and KDE are sadly a long way behind windows in terms of presentation / look and feel. Happily though the meat behind it is far better than windows.

Actually, I like KDE and have lots of features missing in Windows (multiple desktops etc.)
But lets keep this thread only to Linux questions etc... I'm not interested in ANY "wars" etc :)

No one has answered my question: Should I bring some laptops with Linux to GTG or no? Do people want to know how Linux looks like, why should one consider it as a replacement to Windows/Office/ etc?

Thanks
Chris

btw. it will be nice to meet you and talk about linux :)

But lets keep this thread only to Linux questions etc... I'm not interested in ANY "wars" etc :)

Chill out and enjoy the discussion you have prompted ;) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom