Linux is illegal now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
First and foremost, I must apologize. I don't usually post news - but this really takes the mick...

One of the "reasons" for issuing the arrest warrant:
Mr. Calizte uses two different operating systems to hide his illegal activites. One is the regular B.C. operating system and the other is a black screen with white font which he uses prompt commands on

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04/boston-college-prompt-commands-are-suspicious

I realise the EFF isn't totally impartial - but the whole thing seems like an immense miscarriage of justice!

M.

Last edited:
Not surprising really, Guantanamo Bay for the poor sod under some pretext fabricated by homeland security if they can't find any actual illegal activity.

On the face of it it seems they're using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut...but the walnut might not even exist....Ahh the land of the free

Altogether Now....

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming..............

Question is......How long before this starts happening here? After all, we already seem to be part of the US of A!!!

And if you don't believe me, try watching BBC News occasionally - more US news than home news these days.....

On the face of it it seems they're using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut...but the walnut might not even exist....Ahh the land of the free

Altogether Now....

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming..............

A crap anthem that doesn't even rhyme properly..... :rolleyes:

Question is......How long before this starts happening here? After all, we already seem to be part of the US of A!!!

And if you don't believe me, try watching BBC News occasionally - more US news than home news these days.....

Well , i think you will find that it already does. If you have sent or recieved an email from anyone within the USA then your compuer is currerntly covered internationally under the USA patriot act.

Well , i think you will find that it already does. If you have sent or recieved an email from anyone within the USA then your compuer is currerntly covered internationally under the USA patriot act.

If we are going into monitoring, the UK government monitors (or plans to) every single email into and outof UK addresses...

Also, there are plans whereby your ISP needs to keep track of every single connection you make...

M.

If we are going into monitoring, the UK government monitors (or plans to) every single email into and outof UK addresses...

Not email message, just FROM-TO. Silly. There are so many ways to hide your activity...

For example: one account (gmail?), emails saved as drafts. TOR proxy. No email sent/received, everything nicely encrypted. With millions of accounts which gmail have not really possible to trace every saved draft.

Or: Linux server, SSH - you can have lots of account, internal traffic only. People with SSH (encrypted) tunnels are common so nothing to log there.

Or: Webmail, HTTPS, gmail-gmail. How they are going to log that?

Or: jabber server, encrypted comminucation (i have set one up in my company)

Or: Skype. That's really hard to trace! And INSTANT!

What really pisses me off is that someone, with VERY limited knowledge, decided something that is unnecessary, costly and pointless. There are millions of ways to send data over net in a way that no one else can see it.

Also, there are plans whereby your ISP needs to keep track of every single connection you make...

M.

Impossible. Run Wireshark and see how many connection you have a minute.... That would kill any know DB in minutes for a small ISP!

Cheers
Chris

What really pisses me off is that someone, with VERY limited knowledge, decided something that is unnecessary, costly and pointless. There are millions of ways to send data over net in a way that no one else can see it.

Not getting political, but doesn't that just sum up EVERY Government?!!!

Not email message, just FROM-TO. Silly. There are so many ways to hide your activity...

For example: one account (gmail?), emails saved as drafts. TOR proxy. No email sent/received, everything nicely encrypted. With millions of accounts which gmail have not really possible to trace every saved draft.

Or: Linux server, SSH - you can have lots of account, internal traffic only. People with SSH (encrypted) tunnels are common so nothing to log there.

Or: Webmail, HTTPS, gmail-gmail. How they are going to log that?

Or: jabber server, encrypted comminucation (i have set one up in my company)

Or: Skype. That's really hard to trace! And INSTANT!

Impossible. Run Wireshark and see how many connection you have a minute.... That would kill any know DB in minutes for a small ISP!

Cheers
Chris

Yes, any self respecting terrorist will have no difficulty at all avoiding this.

Different matter for Government Special Advisers though (Mc Bride) they don't seem too computer literate.

Yes, any self respecting terrorist will have no difficulty at all avoiding this.

Different matter for Government Special Advisers though (Mc Bride) they don't seem too computer literate.

At the risk of sounding political (which this isn't) isn't the problem that the governments really have no idea how to pinpoint the incredibly small percentage of dodgy people that are actually the risk to all of us, so to be seen to be doing something, they implement huge swathing controls which are costly, ineffective, and curtail that exact liberty that they claim to be protecting on our behalf.

And this is not just terrorists sending emails planning bombs, this is CCTV monitoring for anti-social behaviour (could turn into terrorists!), Dangerous dogs act (could be terrorists in disguise!)

feel free to add to the list.:mad:

At the risk of sounding political (which this isn't) isn't the problem that the governments really have no idea how to pinpoint the incredibly small percentage of dodgy people that are actually the risk to all of us, so to be seen to be doing something, they implement huge swathing controls which are costly, ineffective, and curtail that exact liberty that they claim to be protecting on our behalf.

The government isn't very good at pinpointing anything.

There are huge data problems in many of the existing government databases. So if you look for dodgy people in them either you don't find the dodgy person who is in the database, or you pull out a whole load of non-dodgy people with incomplete or inaccurate records.

And what really takes the biscuit is that rather than fixing what they have they dream up new ways of paying consultants to dream up new ways of doing things that will never work because of the creaky legacy systems they can't fix.

And the problems are getting worse every year.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Allow me to point out that countries such as Australia have precisely 2 points of entry and exit for all traffic into an out of Australia.

Thus the Australian government need only 2 nodes for total control.

The idea of monitoring persons is pointless and time consuming. TCP/IP V6 traces back to the origins in real time.

The above story is designed to divert attention from the node oriented activity and blow smoke by using citizen based restraint as the cover story. No such activity is necessary. They have total control at the point of entry.

Cheers
Chris

I fully agree - that doesn't stop them trying :p

Funny story actually, in Italy a year or so ago the goverment decided that they would keep a "library" of all websites hosted in Italy, with every version of the site (kind of like with real books). Hosts were instructed to upload the contents of their sites (or was it pull based? I can't remember) to a goverment server... It lasted a whole two days before the "library" filled up and couldn't cope with the load.

What puzzles me is that after all these failures (and what thei consultants are paid) they keep making the same mistakes over and over again...

Allow me to point out that countries such as Australia have precisely 2 points of entry and exit for all traffic into an out of Australia.

Thus the Australian government need only 2 nodes for total control.

The idea of monitoring persons is pointless and time consuming. TCP/IP V6 traces back to the origins in real time.

The above story is designed to divert attention from the node oriented activity and blow smoke by using citizen based restraint as the cover story. No such activity is necessary. They have total control at the point of entry.
If the data is encrypted, they will have a hard time decrypting everything (especially on the fly)

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom