Liqui Moly - Ceratec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I can't try it on one of these displays, then I'm not buying it
Reminds me of the "Stromberg Spark Boosters” that they used to sell at shows back in the 60s & 70s and are still available (unchanged) today.

I wanted to put one in my first car (Morris Mini 850) & I recall my stepdad telling me “if it was that good, the car manufacturer would recommend or use it”.

I particularly like this statement of their website :

"Accepted all over the world for the past 20 years.
All its claims MUST BE TRUE ... else it would have been discontinued from the world market many years ago. "

Last edited by a moderator:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reminds me of the "Stromberg Spark Boosters” that they used to sell at shows back in the 60s & 70s and are still available (unchanged) today.

I wanted to put one in my first car (Morris Mini 850) & I recall my stepdad telling me “if it was that good, the car manufacturer would recommend or use it”.

I particularly like this statement of their website :

"Accepted all over the world for the past 20 years.
All its claims MUST BE TRUE ... else it would have been discontinued from the world market many years ago. "

You can do the same using a large button, it's just an air gap. does it make any difference? probably not.

How we used to run cars in during the 1950s has little relevance to lubrication in modern diesel or petrol engines.
Modern lubricants are designed to protect items like catalytic after-burners as much as for the lubrication of your engine.
Incorrect additives or non-synthetic oils are rather high-risk from the point of view of NOT poisoning your very-expensive catalyst.

Do MB recommend it or put it in their cars?
MB doesn't even reformed gum out, stp, or any fuel cleaner or additive. Nonsense products. They introduce more junk than work. Been there done that.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How we used to run cars in during the 1950s has little relevance to lubrication in modern diesel or petrol engines.
Modern lubricants are designed to protect items like catalytic after-burners as much as for the lubrication of your engine.
Incorrect additives or non-synthetic oils are rather high-risk from the point of view of NOT poisoning your very-expensive catalyst.
God willing most DIYers will understand. Bike forums are the worst. Heavy engine oils, with extreme additive can dumping plus extra oiled air filters and strange exhausts.
This is why I prefer to work on watches instead of touching cars.

I don't know enough about the chemistry of lubrication to pass judgement here.

But applying common sense does bring up some doubts.

The key question, is why do oil producers not use it? Price can't be the answer, because they have different products at different prices anyway, it should not be an issue for them to have a 'super-dooper' uber-expensive oil, for those who wish to send more, e.g. 'our most advanced oil' etc etc.

As for YouTube oil tests, they are OK for what they are, but the only real test is comparative long-term (50k+ miles) engine wear test.

Additionally, the product is only tested to see if it meets the claims made by the manufacturer. But the tests ignore anything the manufacture did not mention.... for example, does it clog filters? Does it solidify and block narrow oil ways? Does it burn and damage the cat? Does it cause any other sort of damage? etc etc. Any of these would be a good reason while established oil producer shun the product.

Again, I have no strong views either way. But the doubt raised by the unanswered questions above, is sufficient reason for me to avoid it, at least until if-and-when more information comes to light.

The key question, is why do oil producers not use it? Price can't be the answer, because they have different products at different prices anyway, it should not be an issue for them to have a 'super-dooper' uber-expensive oil, for those who wish to send more, e.g. 'our most advanced oil' etc etc.

As for YouTube oil tests, they are OK for what they are, but the only real test is comparative long-term (50k+ miles) engine wear test.

Additionally, the product is only tested to see if it meets the claims made by the manufacturer. But the tests ignore anything the manufacture did not mention.... for example, does it clog filters? Does it solidify and block narrow oil ways? Does it burn and damage the cat? Does it cause any other sort of damage? etc etc. Any of these would be a good reason while established oil producer shun the product.

Again, I have no strong views either way. But the doubt raised by the unanswered questions above, is sufficient reason for me to avoid it, at least until if-and-when more information comes to light.
Indeed. Ages ago, not MB, but Honda dealerships advised me to quit any additives in the form of cleansers or wear reducers. Even the fuel rail and injectors should be force cleaned using pressure systems or replaced.
We should quit advising people to not use these and instead sell them via this forum. The general population wants it, why not profit out of it?

Just avoid it. Life's difficult enough without agonising over if any particular snake-oil will double the life of your engine from "really unlikely to wear out in any reasonable or indeed unreasonable scenario" to "even longer"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom