List of unpleasant DIY jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
This week-end I'm re-felting the shed roof. The recent strong wind has pulled up a strip. Unpleasant DIY jobs no.1 because the adhesive smells, the felt tears too easily and the wind will generally be annoying.

Unpleasant DIY jobs no.2 will be to climb on to the house roof and scrape off the moss. It's only a bungalow, but a local company quoted £350 for a days work. So out come the ladders.

Maybe I'll later discover a blocked drain to round it all off ;)

Feel free to share your unpleasant DIY jobs planned for the week-end :)

Re: the shed - it shouldn't need adhesive - galvanised clout nails are the normal fastening method. Adhesive will make it difficult to remove next time.
Also, don't use shed felt - it's rubbish - use a reasonable grade mineral felt (not underfelt) from any builders merchant.

Too wet here to do any external DIY even though my shed must be your shed's cousin as it also needs work to the roof.

I'm in the midst of redecorating our bedroom but it involved stripping out a set of fitted wardrobes so that I could put down new flooring. Not the easiest of jobs to put it all back together again but it looks the business and will be great once the painting is finished.

For my shed I used a quality roofing felt from a roofing/builders yard. The guy there said I could either use a blow torch to melt it on or just nail it at the edges or use battons if its a bigger roof.
My shed is only 6x4 so I just nailed it at the edges and with the sun it has melted/attached nicely ;)

ref the nails - Cheers. It looks like the wind has just pulled the felt through the nails. Thankfully it's the last/top strip so only that line needs replacing :)

I've already bought some felt from the local merchants. ~£30/10 metres - seemed expensive to me. I'll see how it goes.

ref the nails - Cheers. It looks like the wind has just pulled the felt through the nails. Thankfully it's the last/top strip so only that line needs replacing :)

I've already bought some felt from the local merchants. ~£30/10 metres - seemed expensive to me. I'll see how it goes.
Don't put the nails directly into the felt, nail a couple of battons on top of the felt, a bit like in the picture.
d_15670.jpg

As the felt perishes over time - i.e. normal life expectancy (not very long if it's shed felt) then the wind can get under any perished areas and tear at the nails, however, during the normal life of the felt, clout nails (with the large flat head) are still the accepted fastening.

I wouldn't want to be scraping adhesive off the timbers next time around.

You could glue the top "ridge" to the lower felt but I'd still nail it.

I should add, you need to nail about every 250mm or so and closer at the ridge/eaves.

From the title, I thought this thread was going to involve tales of putting a bin liner over an arm and squeezing whatever's stuck in the u-bend of a blocked toilet pan :crazy:

Re-felting shed roofs? Pah :p :D

From the title, I thought this thread was going to involve tales of putting a bin liner over an arm and squeezing whatever's stuck in the u-bend of a blocked toilet pan :crazy:

Re-felting shed roofs? Pah :p :D

A bin liner - pah!

I just keep a nail brush in me lunchbox.

Roof re-felted. Cheers all for the tips. With only using nails I'd describe the job as quite satisfying.

Apologies for those who felt short changed by the thread title. I'll put my hand down the toilet now, for no reason other than to please some members here :)

Not sure about de-mossing the house roof afterwards. Rather windy and need to find out which neighbour can lend me a roofing ladder.

All DIY jobs are unpleasant.. if a jobs worth doing... its worth paying someone else to do it...

I had this job on after fearing the worst from a surveyors report :

IMAG0264.jpg

"significant blockage . . . you need to instruct a contractor to survey the damage"

This is the less offensive image btw !

"significant blockage . . . you need to instruct a contractor to survey the damage"

I had the exact same thing last year, a brick in the same place. The system backed up for weeks and eventually became apparent. Once the brick was removed, and the back up cleared...all was fine.

For the amount the surveyor charged, I wished he told me "a stick has entered the system and the inspection cover has fallen down - you need to have fun with a hose pipe and recommend the use of a peg-on-the-nose"

I believe the two fine chaps known as 'Derek and Clive' have discussed some unpleasant jobs. If you think you have it bad..............

I had this job on after fearing the worst from a surveyors report :

IMAG0264.jpg

Now that's more like it :thumb: :D

I paid a contractor to dig out many years of bramble and tree overgrowth from the land at the front of our house. His digger soon found the cesspit (which we had warned him about) when he managed to reverse into it. It had pretty much sunk when the other digger arrived to drag it out. These old brick cesspits are a work of art when cleaned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom