Listen to Internet Radio from abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Hi Internet boffins,
My brother lives in New Zealand but wants to listen to a local UK radio station on the Internet. Unfortunately he gets a message telling him he has been deported to the colonies and cannot access this facility. (or words to that effect :)) Is there a legal way that he can listen to his Lincoln FM? :eek:

This question reminds me of Defiant's post regarding ITV-F1

Thanks for any advice

regards
John

I don't know nothing about law but it would be possible for your brother to use yours connection as a proxy :)

Cheers
Chris

Hmmm... I was getting LBC over the net from the USA... I guess it depends on the broadcaster......

BBC Essex have had correspondence from people living 'down-under'. Ask your brother to try some other stations.

BBC Essex have had correspondence from people living 'down-under'. Ask your brother to try some other stations.
ESSEX!! :devil: :devil: :D Your tempting me to say something I would not regret :D

Defiant suffers from a similar problem when trying to log into the ITV site.

Hi Chris
Chris said:
I don't know nothing about law but it would be possible for your brother to use yours connection as a proxy
I'm as fik as three short planks regarding computah's so how would he use my PC as a proxy please?

Delboy said:
Has he / have you tried this?

Click on 'Radio' and pick required station. Lincs FM is p14.
Thanks very much indeed,
I'll post him your link. I'm tempted to phone him and mention this good news but I doubt he would appreciate it (They are 12 hours in front of us)

Thanks everyone

Regards
John

glojo said:
Hi Chris
I'm as fik as three short planks regarding computah's so how would he use my PC as a proxy please?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

how much you love your brother? it means that your computer will have to stay ON while he wants to listen to the radio ;)
Or, if you have a Very Good Router (with Linux inside) I could setup a proxy on it ;)

Also, it could be easier to setup just a VPN on your router :)

Cheers
Chris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

how much you love your brother? it means that your computer will have to stay ON while he wants to listen to the radio ;)
Or, if you have a Very Good Router (with Linux inside) I could setup a proxy on it ;)

Also, it could be easier to setup just a VPN on your router :)

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris
My son tells me we have linux inside the router but to me we are talking a foreign language.

Our router is a Netgear DG3834PN :eek:

I'm told that VPN is not very good but don't ask me to explain why as I haven't a clue :eek: :eek: (latency times to New Zealand??) We only have a 2mb Broadband connection. The router is usually left on 24 hours a day, but the computers are switched off at night.

Regarding the reasons for this request my sister-in-law was always listening to this station on her computer, she wrote an e-mail to a specific show requesting a piece of music for one of her relatives explaining how she lived in New Zealand then a couple of days later she was unable to log onto the site and simply got a generic message stating she was attempting to log onto the site from outside the UK.

My brother thinks this might be down to the latest licensing type fees are copyright dues? I'm told that local radio stations only pay a national fee for broadcasting and there are different fee's for different requirements. I might be talking a lot of tosh but it does make a little sense and maybe the effluent south east :devil: :devil: ;) (poo) can afford to pay the higher rate? :)

regards
John

Our router is a Netgear DG3834PN :eek:

Hi John,

Could you check it again? There is no DG3834PN from netgear as far as I'm aware.

I think you mean DG834PN? I don't think you can flash it with DD-WRT.
Anyway, try setting up VPN! It should be OK for a Radio Broadcast.

Cheers
Chris

Hi John,

Could you check it again? There is no DG3834PN from netgear as far as I'm aware.

I think you mean DG834PN? I don't think you can flash it with DD-WRT.
Anyway, try setting up VPN! It should be OK for a Radio Broadcast.

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris,
Your nearly spot on,;) my son reckons I have a stuttering typing digit, but I reckon I typed what he said:devil: :D It's a Netgear DG834NP as opposed to your 'PN'

regards
John

John,

Setup VPN and see what will happen :)
I think that VPN should be enough for a radio.

Cheers
Chris

John,

I'm still convinced that you must be wrong. I can't see DG834NP on Netgear site:(

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rou...ndGateways/DG834PN.aspx?detail=Specifications

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris,
Are you fik or sumfink?
How many times must you keep on at me before I get this right? :devil: :D (teasing you) :)

I am totally wrong and you are 100% correct! :eek: :eek:

In my defence I haven't slept for a couple of days and it looks like my tiny brain is not translating what the ears are hearing!!

Your right it is PN :eek:

My son shouted out all the numbers to me, I shouted them back to him to confirm I had it right, but sadly i still got it wrong somehow.

I am in my own room and the router is in the hallway, so I relied on my son to give me the model number. He insists he gave me the right number and he's far cleverer than me, so I'm guilty as charged and kept getting it wrong :eek: :)

A Million apologies.

Regards
John

Just spoke with my brother,
All the links that have very kindly been postedare no good. As soon as he attempts to log onto them they 'black-ball' him withe the 'Non UK resident' generic type message.

It looks like it will have to be Columb's VPN thingie.

I suggested they try listening to New Zealand local radio but owing to a bad line I never understood the comment about poking something where the sun did not shine:eek: :eek: ;)

Thanks again for all the advice

regards
John

John,

I wasn't really up yesterday! I should recommend this:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=170005

For £60 your brother can listen to the radio AND watch freeview TV!
Of course it needs to be connected at your home to the Broadband and aerial but that shouldn't be a problem?

Good luck!
Cheers
Chris

John,

I wasn't really up yesterday! I should recommend this:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=170005

For £60 your brother can listen to the radio AND watch freeview TV!
Of course it needs to be connected at your home to the Broadband and aerial but that shouldn't be a problem?

Good luck!
Cheers
Chris
Thanks for the link, I'll pas it on.

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom