LIT Table to Diagnose Suspension Noise (and other bangs etc).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Quincross

Car
E-Class, S-Class
I recently fixed a mate's car's rumbles, bangs and clunks. I used an old LIT table to do this, which he'd not seen before so I thought someone else might find it useful.

The LIT (Listen, Inspect, Test) table is a matrix that helps you narrow down what is making the noise in the car. The idea is that if you know the sound (listen) you can then look at the likely components (inspect) and finally carry out a definitive procedure (test) that'll let you know if they've failed. TBH most mechanics have this in their heads anyway, but it is useful as you can sometimes end up going around in circles without it. Anyway, you can find a genuine "mechanics 101" LIT table (with some of my own updates) transcribed here:

How to fix your car's suspension noise and other weird sounds - clunks, rattles & clangs

Hope it helps someone! ......and my mate? He had a cracked spring, damaged a shock and his bearing was shot - moral of the story, new mercs don't do classic car hill climb tracks - that'll teach you eh Chris? my 280CE does it every other month and is fine :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom