Literacy is dead.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Reefs.jpg

Plural_cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Move wiv da timez bro.

Language evolves. It’s has done for 1000’s of years. It’s exact reason we no longer speak in Ye Ole English.

L8’erz :D

More A**e Ole English these days...

Language evolves.

It does, when there's a good reason, and that's great. Lack of literacy isn't a good reason, it simply degrades the language. The quality must be upheld, that's the reason the OED exists, as a reference, and that does change overtime, that's the definition of our language evolving.

There's no reason for grammar to be changing though.

This wine glass has a possessive apostrophe because the writer thought that without the apostrophe people would say "Boos" to rhyme with "use", not booze. Because the possessive " 's " makes everyone say "z" at the end of a word "John'z hammer", people misuse it all the time.

It's the same reason you see MOT's everywhere. They thought without the apostrophe people would say "What's a mots?" (to rhyme with knots).

I think it's started to be accepted that acronyms and abbreviations can use an apostrophe but I'm not keen. :D

In my experience it seems half the people in this country don't speak English any more, so who cares?

Cheers,

Gaz

I think it's started to be accepted that acronyms and abbreviations can use an apostrophe but I'm not keen. :D

I see your point. However, change is upon us whether we like it or not. So, we either go with it or get left behind and moan about the good old days. :)

.......change is upon us whether we like it or not. So, we either go with it or get left behind and moan about the good old days. :)
On this basis then, we can just ignore any law, as if enough of us do so, in time it’ll be acceptable.

Surely it’s just as easy to learn something correctly? Or are we getting too lazy to even try?

On this basis then, we can just ignore any law, as if enough of us do so, in time it’ll be acceptable.

Hmmmmm.......

No. As the topic in question is not illegal.

I think the jury is misunderstanding my posts here. I'm not saying it's right, I'm merely saying that it's change. I'm sure we all disagree with some new entries into the OED from time to time, but we might as well get used to it. As we get older the new entries will seem more bizarre to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmm.......

No. As the topic in question is not illegal.

I think the jury is misunderstanding my posts here. I'm not saying it's right, I'm merely saying that it's change. I'm sure we all disagree with some new entries into the OED from time to time, but we mights as well get used to it. As we get older the new entries will seem more bizarre to us.

More to the point, we all understood its meaning. So in that respect job done, whether we like it or not.

Devolves more like.

"There's no reason for grammar to be changing though" or should that read There's no reason for grammar to change? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Surely it’s just as easy to learn something correctly? Or are we getting too lazy to even try?
Laws evelove, through parliament.

The English language evolves too, through the Oxford English Dictionary (to an extent).

In either case, not everyone adheres to the 'law'.....

In Shakespeare's time the word naughty meant evil. This has diluted over time so now it is almost an affectionate word.

That's evolution. What is happening now is the result of a change of educational prorities for the worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom