Literacy is dead.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmmmm.......

No. As the topic in question is not illegal.

I think the jury is misunderstanding my posts here. I'm not saying it's right, I'm merely saying that it's change. I'm sure we all disagree with some new entries into the OED from time to time, but we might as well get used to it. As we get older the new entries will seem more bizarre to us.
English has always stolen words from other languages, and as a result evolves over time. - I don't like "common usage" either, but it's the route by which most of the changes creep in; if enough people do it, it's "acceptable"... just not correct.

I'm no eggspert at spellings and gramma, but I try.

It seems to me much of this "evolution" is laziness. Can't be bothered to form a sentence? Just turn your noun into a verb.

On the TV last night. Not "what did you learn from this process, what lessons did you take away, has it taught you anything?", etc. etc.
But "Did you get any learns?"

I wanted to gouge out my own eardrums.

It seems to me much of this "evolution" is laziness. Can't be bothered to form a sentence? Just turn your noun into a verb.

On the TV last night. Not "what did you learn from this process, what lessons did you take away, has it taught you anything?", etc. etc.
But "Did you get any learns?"

I wanted to gouge out my own eardrums.

For at least the last 100 years they could have instead asked "Yer learn owt ?".

Certainly not modern, but would it have been any less lazy ?

So what does it mean? I love throwing these new words at the girls so they think I'm hip and trendy. kk

This wine glass has a possessive apostrophe because the writer thought that without the apostrophe people would say "Boos" to rhyme with "use", not booze. Because the possessive " 's " makes everyone say "z" at the end of a word "John'z hammer", people misuse it all the time.

Ooooooh, NOW I get it. I assumed there was a missing 'B' and the apostrophe was there to replace it ;)

So what does it mean? I love throwing these new words at the girls so they think I'm hip and trendy. kk

I believe it means something is good/beautiful/nice. It depends on the context.

I prefer to use words in the Oxford dictionary myself. :thumb:

For at least the last 100 years they could have instead asked "Yer learn owt ?".

Certainly not modern, but would it have been any less lazy ?
This is more to do with local dialect, I think, rather than illiteracy/laziness, as for example in the Nottinghamese, "ayergorraweeya?" means "does your good lady accompany you?"

“Peng” so I am told by those more “street” apparently means hot, horny, gawjus.
I know, before anyone says it, it bugs the hell out of me too.
I think I’ll stick to the biscuits. At least I know where I stand with those and I’m not inadvertently insulting someone.

Dialect has some interesting roots.

Anyone who has read the novel Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell will remember that it's littered with references describing historical roots of Manchester dialect words.

For example:

In Lancashire dialect Nesh means soft.

It's derived from Anglo Saxon nesc, tender

'It seems for his love his heart is tender and nesh' - Chaucer

I'd argue that these old dialect words have much more substance that modern slang.

Last edited:
Listening to the TV and radio these days, it seems to me that the answer given by anyone to pretty much any question asked is "So, yeah, no, I mean, you know, absolutely" and nothing more!

Listening to the TV and radio these days, it seems to me that the answer given by anyone to pretty much any question asked is "So, yeah, no, I mean, you know, absolutely" and nothing more!

And you forgot........

So and Basically.

Even Politicians and so called intelligent people premise a sentence with those words.

Drives me nuts!

Turn em off, you won't miss them. It is now only entertainment for a subclass of vermin, they will turn you into one just by looking at the screen. Turn it off. Read a book, build a boat, a plane, your childrens homework, go for a walk, fix your car, home improvement, visit the inlaws, get drunk, anything but turn off the idiot boxes and get your life back.

And on that cheerful suggestion, I'm happy to report that, it is now five years, since we turned the live TV off.
It's been fantastic. Not to mention the satisfaction of not financing the [insert your own expletive] BBC.

Turn em off, you won't miss them. It is now only entertainment for a subclass of vermin, they will turn you into one just by looking at the screen. Turn it off. Read a book, build a boat, a plane, your childrens homework, go for a walk, fix your car, home improvement, visit the inlaws, get drunk, anything but turn off the idiot boxes and get your life back.

I could count the number of hours I watch TV on Dave Allen's left hand if he was to lose 3 fingers!

I'm a radio listener. And selective at that.

On the subject of the BBC and 'wrong' English, the pedant in me took exception the other day to their reporting that the first footballer born this century was being called up to play for England. He was actually born in 2000 which, as any fule kno, is the last year of the 20th century, not the first of the 21st.

I saw a programme on telly saying exactly that.

Get yourself on that Kayak - you won't miss a thing. Tow a fishing line out the back and you might just catch dinner...?? Or at least something for the cats. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom