Literacy is dead.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is more to do with local dialect, I think, rather than illiteracy/laziness, as for example in the Nottinghamese, "ayergorraweeya?" means "does your good lady accompany you?"
Why ya bugger, a understood that like spot on, ya knaa; is your lass with yer, a thought Nottinam was miles away an all, but it's can't be cannit, cause we both speak proper?

Good thread, had a laugh, take care all

Is this not in reference to Halloween?

As in a play on words that ghosts say boo but the wine glass contains booze? Or am I missing something entirely?

upload_2018-10-10_23-20-28.png upload_2018-10-10_23-18-30.png

yes, possibly, but still doesn't explain the spooky spelling on the left. :D

Except in the Falklands, where it is still "penguin"? Perhaps they have peng penguins there...

My pet peeve at the moment is 'literally', as in "My 'ead was literally all over the place". Exploding brain, then? No, but would that it had been... Though thinking about it, the explosion would not have sufficed to blow out a candle...

I've given up on correcting (most of...) the solecisms, because it don't do no good, innit? English like what it is wrote can suffer too. I quote: "What is your address:" "99 Totnum High Street".

When I saw that, my head was literally all over the place... Oops.

So, is literacy literally dead?

Why ya bugger, a understood that like spot on, ya knaa; is your lass with yer, a thought Nottinam was miles away an all, but it's can't be cannit, cause we both speak proper?

Good thread, had a laugh, take care all
Closer than we think, it seems!

Swear filter allowing, though, in Nottinggumese, it’s 'bogger' as in ‘yer daft bogger'.

Another, much older, example.."jaggadaanaSattdy?" (Did you go down on Saturday) meaning "I am enquiringly as to whether you went to the City Ground to watch Nottingham Forest compete in their latest soccer fixture at the weekend"

Except in the Falklands, where it is still "penguin"? Perhaps they have peng penguins there...

My pet peeve at the moment is 'literally', as in "My 'ead was literally all over the place". Exploding brain, then? No, but would that it had been... Though thinking about it, the explosion would not have sufficed to blow out a candle...

I've given up on correcting (most of...) the solecisms, because it don't do no good, innit? English like what it is wrote can suffer too. I quote: "What is your address:" "99 Totnum High Street".

When I saw that, my head was literally all over the place... Oops.

Yup, definitely with you on 'literally'. Another of my pet hates is misuse of 'unique', e.g. where something is described as very unique, or more unique than something else. How can you have degrees of uniqueness? Something is either unique or it's not.

I wonder if many people judge others on their literacy any longer.

I wonder if many people judge others on their literacy any longer.

I once dated a Russian girl who studied philology at university. I sometimes felt dumb in her presence given she had an extraordinary grasp of the English language, given she'd studied it voluntarily since she was a kid. She saw it rightly as a route into Western Europe. But the thing was although she excelled in her exams, she wanted to know how to speak the language as used by English people. Not academics from her own country. Consequently she paid as much attention to vernacular as she did formal text. And although she spoke with quite a heavy accent, you wouldn't think she was anything else other than English born and bred when you read something she'd written.

I think 'judge' is perhaps slightly the wrong word, but literacy, and articulacy, contribute to the impressions of an individual formed by others. Much depends on the circumstances, I suppose. If it is a written job application, say, a semi-literate CV certainly won't help in being selected for interview - or not.

Once almost everyone is down to the same level, I dare say it won't matter as much.

Dead?
It is quite literally sort of, kind of, you know, like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom