Litres to yards conversion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
I am soon to undertake a project here that involves sinking an above ground swimming pool into the ground.

To get a rough idea, for me and the client, of the muck to be removed I need to know how many 6 yard skips I would need.

I need to excavate a hole and remove roughly 30,000 litres or earth.

Thanks.

There are 765 liters per cubic yard.

30,000 litres is 30 cubic metres

1m³ = 1.30795062yd³

So you need capacity for 39.2385 yd³, thus 7 skips

Not quite as simple as that. A 'yard' of soil from the ground will take up more space than that once it's been dug out. I'd allow a bit more.

Will

Correct ^^

Bulk-up depends on the type of subsoil and how you remove it, also what "rubbish" is in there ie if there's old concrete etc. I normally allow 25-30% bulk-up rate.

If you're talking about seven skips would you not be better off (and it is quicker) to use a grab lorry (normally 2.5 slip's worth)? I would allow for four, see if you can get away with three, bearing in mind the conversions above.

I am soon to undertake a project here that involves sinking an above ground swimming pool into the ground.

To get a rough idea, for me and the client, of the muck to be removed I need to know how many 6 yard skips I would need.

I need to excavate a hole and remove roughly 30,000 litres or earth.

Thanks.

I take it you are confident about the trickier aspects of this job?:eek::confused:;)

Last edited:
Another thing to do to make it easier is work on litres and cubic metres, rather than swapping to imperial.
A 6 yard skip is about 4 and a half metres. An eight wheel grab (over here) is about 13m3 but it does depend on weight more than a skip (which you can usually overload in weight!)

Having filled 13 such skips when we extended the kitchen, conservatory garage, etc. I'd budget for double the calculated theoretical volume.

^^^ At least double^^^

Could you not use the spoil to grade the surrounding ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom