Little mans surprise birthday present

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Yesterday I surprised my little lad by taking him for his first flying lesson (he's mad about flying).

He had absolutely no idea we had this planned at all. Even when we were driving past the runway itself, he was asking if we could stop for five minutes so he could have a closer look.

He still hasn't managed to take the smile off off his face. :bannana:

Attachments

• PilotJ.jpg
    PilotJ.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 111
Is there anything finer than seeing your kids beam :thumb:.

What a great surprise - lucky lad!

I had to wait rather longer ... got a couple of lessons for my 30th birthday!

Where did you go?

Yesterday I surprised my little lad by taking him for his first flying lesson (he's mad about flying).

He had absolutely no idea we had this planned at all. Even when we were driving past the runway itself, he was asking if we could stop for five minutes so he could have a closer look.

He still hasn't managed to take the smile off off his face. :bannana:

What age is he?

He will be 12 on Wednesday.

Thanks to his many hundreds if not thousands of hours on simulators, he did the landing himself on his first go. (instructor was no doubt giving him plenty of advice though).

Brilliant.....I went gliding earlier this year.....loved it.

Mic

Excellent. Dad's are great sometimes.

20yrs ago, aged 18 my parents paid for me drive in a Formula Ford around Brands hatch. I'll never forget the experience, as I hope your son wont his. :)

Excellent. Flying a plane was one of the things on a list that I challenged myself to do before my 20th birthday. I booked a trial session in a Cesna 152 at Booker airfield, during which I took the controls for about 10 minutes. No prior simulator (or actual) experience, though, so thankfully I was not expected to land it...

What a brilliant surprise for him - nice one!

If he likes it (and it sure looks that way) then it is seriously addictive - aviation has put a dent in my finances for the last 30 years, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I've never got bored with aviation and was flying above the snow covered mountains of Scotland yesterday in coast to coast visibility - superb.

There is just about no finer experience than taking the controls of an aircraft for the first time.

For me it was one of these -

chippy-medium.png

At RAF Newton at the tender age of about 13 or 14. First of many flights in these lovely 'planes. Sadly my flying career hit the buffers at OASC Biggin Hill a few years later. :(

Your son is a lucky fellow indeed, and long may his flying continue!

Popham airstrip. A good friend of mine is one of the instructors there.

Some years ago I was going to take the caravan and do an intensive microlight PPL course at Popham, but life got in the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom