Little mishap.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Little mishap over the weekend - an old guy in a lovely 1968 Lotus Elan 2+2 chanced a light that had just changed to red. Sadly I was turning right but managed to turn the wheel just enough to change a T-bone into a swipe. Phew! Damage very slight for me - smear of paint on the valance and numberplate plus a bit of damage to grille and also broken plate holder/surround. He has quite a gouge on his wing caused by the surround. Metal on his car much tougher than cars today, so easily repaired for him.

We agreed to settle like gentleman and not involve insurance etc. - I refuse to distrust everybody! He has already sent me a text agreeing etc. and is local so I know where he lives :)

Just popped to a local bodyshop I know (two old boys I have used before - both are past retirement age and know what they are doing!) Quoted me no more than £100 to repair the small bit of plastic grille damage and prepare/paint the valance affected - luckily there are two edges so easy to fade in. He will also fit the new surround and numberplate that I will supply

Anybody know the plate holder/surround part number please. Or can I use pretty much any on eBay that say will fit S204?

IMG_20200915_114215.jpg

Last edited:
What happened?

Time to get the polish out, is it a polish out job?

Anybody know the plate holder/surround part number please. Or can I use pretty much any on eBay that say will fit S204?

Are you looking for the "thick" mount which fixes to the bumper (#370 in the exploded diagram), or the frame which fixes to the mount and holds the plate?

If it's the frame then I don't believe there's a Mercedes part number but all dealerships sell them and they can be bought online too. Many UK dealers use Wurth frames, some being branded, some plain - Wurth frames are good quality.

You are talking about the plinth, right?

Do you also want a number plate holder (e.g. Wurth)?

A polish will get all that Red paint off the bumper and plate no problem.

The Mercland Plate holder, just push the 2 pins back in, or failing that some superglue should do it.

Are you looking for the "thick" mount which fixes to the bumper (#370 in the exploded diagram), or the frame which fixes to the mount and holds the plate? If it's the frame then I don't believe there's a Mercedes part number but all dealerships sell them and they can be bought online too. Many UK dealers use Wurth frames, some being branded, some plain - Wurth frames are good quality.
You are talking about the plinth, right? Do you also want a number plate holder (e.g. Wurth)?

Just popped out to take another look - it's just the frame. The plinth (#370) seems undamaged

Just popped out to take another look - it's just the frame. The plinth (#370) seems undamaged

I don't think the frame is an MB part... if fitted (and it does not come with the car from the factory)*, then it is usually fitted by the dealer and has the dealer's name on it. Check on Amazon or eBay for Wurth license plate holder, see if this is the item you need.

*) That's how it was on my W203 and W204 anyway.

I thought those lotus had a fibreglass body, not metal?

As the frame has "Mercland" written on it, why not have a word with Jay?

I'm sure he'll have one lying about. ;) Only 2 (or 4) screws hold them on.

They did have fibreglass bodies. Much more easily repaired than metal, too, and no need to worry about rust.

Little mishap over the weekend - an old guy in a lovely 1968 Lotus Elan 2+2 chanced a light that had just changed to red. Sadly I was turning right but managed to turn the wheel just enough to change a T-bone into a swipe. Phew! Damage very slight for me - smear of paint on the valance and numberplate plus a bit of damage to grille and also broken plate holder/surround. He has quite a gouge on his wing caused by the surround. Metal on his car much tougher than cars today, so easily repaired for him.

We agreed to settle like gentleman and not involve insurance etc. - I refuse to distrust everybody! He has already sent me a text agreeing etc. and is local so I know where he lives :)

Just popped to a local bodyshop I know (two old boys I have used before - both are past retirement age and know what they are doing!) Quoted me no more than £100 to repair the small bit of plastic grille damage and prepare/paint the valance affected - luckily there are two edges so easy to fade in. He will also fit the new surround and numberplate that I will supply

Just an update on this. I sent a text to him outlining the cost and it is in my bank today - no drama, no reminders. Reinforces my basic belief in trust.

Phew, got away lightly.
I had a dizzy bird reverse her car into my FJR1300 as I sat behind her.
New headlight, two panels and front wheel re painted... £3500 😳
No wonder they write off so many bikes!

I think Elan of that era has a gel coating.....I may be wrong- not an expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom