Little thing make a big difference to Braodband Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Over the past week my internet speed has been dropping, until last Friday it was 1-1.25Mb on an alleged 60Mb feed.

My dear friends at NTL, with unusual haste, sent an "engineer" out yesterday. He fiddled around a bit, went off to the box housing the cable end, came back fiddled some more and declared I needed a new "home hub", which will, apparently, take some days to arrive.

This morning I went outside to find the box containing my cable feed still open. Unscrewed the connections to the splitter and did something as radical as drying them out & cleaning up.

Lo and behold:

The word "Engineer" has been used and abused for years. I would imagine 95% aren't.

I think the 10/100 switch I'm connected to may be the bottleneck...

Little thing that makes the big difference? Being sat on one of the UK backbones, with one of the speedtest servers in the same building :p

M

Attachments

• speed.JPG
    speed.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 44
a gigabit 5 port switch is only about £15 these days. Makes a lot of difference if you constantly move lots of files around.

Before we went fibre (BT Infinity) I increased the speed of our connection significantly by fitting a filtered faceplate to the master socket. Few minutes work.

Who uses a home phone nowadays anyway?

We do - cheap calls to the in-laws in Germany (when we can't be bothered to Skype).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom