live 8 worst moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
the worst moment has to be pete doherty with elton john,totally druged out of his mind,kept forgetting the words.the sooner they find him with a needle in his arm the better,if he wasnt a "rock star" he would be a common junkie robbing our houses..

Last edited:
I thought it was an insult to Marc Bolan, but the quality of the rest of the show soon knocked it right back into the back of beyond where it belongs ;)

I am amazed they allowed him on stage in that state. I have never seen so much pupil dilation in bright sunlight!

If he represents modern music then I must be getting old (and sounding like my dad!)

Paul G

Did Elton John stay for the Finale? Surely he must take responsibility for this 'performance'. I understand from my son that he has various court imposed conditions that he has to comply with?? He appeared to be in breach of just about every decent human standard of behaviour. Was that a disposable lighter he had in his mouth?

That incident aside...... Robbie Williams.

I am really inviting some flak here, but this man has huge talent. When he usually sings 'Angels' the hairs stand up on the back of the neck. I just wish he had sung a couple of verses with huge dollops of passion, and then..... involved the crowd. Instead he had the crowd doing their best and he was the support act without his usual high tempo passion. There, Ive got that off my chest, and I thougt the quality of the show excellent. I wish we could have seen more of Peter Kay's performance. He was brilliant, but we had to go back to that disconnected London Eye 'greenhouse' ;)

Regards,
Grumpy old John

Ozzy Osbourne would have been the icing on a very good bill.

Missed Elton john so cant comment on that performance.

Worst bit for me was Mariah 'waste oif space' Carey. Even some of the unintelligible bands singing was better than her, squezzed into that bin liner.

Thought George michale could have done a bit more.

Personally I thought it was a very nice bin-liner, along with the contents :)D):)D)

That's the only bit I saw.

Alfie said:
Thought George michale could have done a bit more.

Saw George Michael interviewed earlier in the day. Apprently he has a bad head cold and he had to be able to do more but couldn't :(

second failure in my book was george"i like visiting pulic toilets"michael.huge huge talent,but what did he do duet with the has been mCcartney with his microphone muted,very sad.

Dido's appallingly flat singing wasn't a high point!

It must be me then, I thought Joss Stone was awful started allright finished up just shouting and prancing up and down, she must have thought effort equals quality, best were the Killers (just one song) and Pink Floyd, awesome. U2 were a bit nondescript. I would have loved a Dire Straits revival.

They should drag Pete Doherty around schools as a warning to all the kids on the outcome of drug use.

gary

gary350 said:
They should drag Pete Doherty around schools as a warning to all the kids on the outcome of drug use.

:D :D What a brilliant suggestion..

frog1520 said:
So, we heard a few songs. But has it really helped anything ?

Sadly The African continent is very rich in minerals, oil and agricultural land. Wiping out debt and giving even more aid will not solve the terrible issues that we can easily read about. Bob Geldof has organised to brilliant shows, but I fear this one will achieve just as much as the previous one.

But that is going off topic!! :) ;)

Doherty deserves recognition for the skill he displayed in being able to stand up. Not once did he fall over, even though he was incapable of standing still.

John

Have to add a good moment here - just catching up on what we missed last night - and it goes to......

The Scissor Sisters - I thought they were terrific! :rock:

mercmanuk said:
the worst moment has to be pete doherty with elton john,totally druged out of his mind,kept forgetting the words.the sooner they find him with a needle in his arm the better,if he wasnt a "rock star" he would be a common junkie robbing our houses..

yeah not like those nice clean living rock stars we grew up with,

Sid Barrett, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Eric Clapton, David Bowie etc etc etc etc

most of those have now been elevated to almost God like status and surely they'd never take drugs would they?

Pete Doherty wasn't the first to go on stage out of his tiny mind and give a crap performance he certainly won't be the last.

andy_k said:
Pete Doherty wasn't the first to go on stage out of his tiny mind and give a crap performance he certainly won't be the last.

In all fairness to the people you mentioned, they could sing....

That person forgot his words, couldn't sing, couldn't stand up, staggered around with a cigarette lighter in his mouth..... But apart from that he was perfect. No way would I condone this persons behaviour and to do so will simply encourage others, he clearly has a problem that someone should sort out.

Totally agree though that drugs have always been around. Status Quo openly admit taking drugs, but at least they performed, and sung brilliantly as did Ozzy Osbourne, Jimmy Hendix etc etc.

John

got to disagree there John, Jim Morrison was notorious for making a mess of performances whilst under the influence, I saw a Floyd concert in Birmingham where Roger Waters was so far out of it he left the stage and didn't come back 2/3rds of the way through the show. I saw Rory Gallagher so far out of it he fell off a chair they brought out because he was too stoned to stand up. I could keep going but I guess you get the gist

I think the truth is that we remember the good times - you should try listening to some of those sixties and seventies bootleg recordings :)

I'm not condoning the use of drugs but I think Mercmanuk's comments were a little judgemental.

Andy

pammy said:
The Scissor Sisters - I thought they were terrific! :rock:
Being old and past it, according to popular belief. I discovered Scissor Sisters last night. Laura..........downloaded the album it came from today and I am knocked out with it. Am I going through some mid life chrisis?

nah, it's a great album.

we've bought loads of chart stuff in the last year, including both of Joss Stone's abums, Franz Ferdinand, Daniel Blunt, Snow Patrol, Damien Rice, The Streets to name but a few.

It's not a mid life crisis it's being old enough to enjoy them :)

mind you I did start worrying a little yesterday when our nine year old came into the lounge whilst i was playing some Talking Heads and said "It's a bit loud isn't it?" Now, that's a turnaround, I remember my Dad saying "turn it down" to me :)

Andy

Ian B Walker said:
Being old and past it, according to popular belief. I discovered Scissor Sisters last night. Laura..........downloaded the album it came from today and I am knocked out with it. Am I going through some mid life chrisis?

not at all - there is some very good music around that crosses the generations - which good music often and should do anyway ;)

All the bands Andy mentions are very popular amongst a wide range of ages - I think becasuse we can all identify with what's they're saying as it all just comes around again and again :D

As for music volume - our kids often come and demand that we turn it down too :D

We're off to see Coldplay at the Reebok Stadium tomorrow - that should be great :rock: :bannana:

So, we heard a few songs. But has it really helped anything ?
Of course it has. Mugabe can now place a large order for brand new bulldozers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom