live 8 worst moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
andy_k said:
I think the truth is that we remember the good times - you should try listening to some of those sixties and seventies bootleg recordings :)

Certainly can't disagree with you,

John

We had a good day. Mariah Carey was awful, Pete Doherty - well I think enough has been said already, and the other let down was Madonna. I don't know how it came across on TV - but in the park her microphone appeared to cut out, then the bass went high, and then disappeared followed by a load of static and high notes. When she did sing her voice didn't sound great at all.

Robbie Williams was just great, but my favourite had to be Dido. Sting did his usual top class performance.

The order of the day was 'Golden Oldies' - and it worked.

Great atmosphere, great crowd, great day. Will never forget it.

Clarky.

PS. To the thousands of police men and women and other services who provided a superb service and dealt with HUGE crowds, thank you.

Live 8 The Floyd

:bannana: :bannana: I thought The Floyd were just awesome, brought a tear to my eye.
After being a fan for 35 years I never ever thought I would see them play live again.

Good choice of songs, looked as good as when I saw them in 1979 only with a little more grey hair ( but haven’t we all). :bannana:

saorbust said:
and the other let down was Madonna. I don't know how it came across on TV - but in the park her microphone appeared to cut out, then the bass went high, and then disappeared followed by a load of static and high notes. When she did sing her voice didn't sound great at all.

Madonna's foul mouthed swearing certainly came out loud and clear!!! I am so pleased that you liked Robbie Williams performance.

It will certainly be an event to be remembered. We watched from start to finish, flitting between London and mainly Germany. Chris De Burgh was excellent as was the bloke from Roxy Music. Shame about his backing group, but that might be simply because it was live?

On the whole it was an excellent day of brilliant music. I wonder if Ozzy Osbourne was invited?

John

Echo all previous comments, but to add I thought Ms Dynamite was awful. She looked out of her depth and was outclassed in such company.

Didn't see Elton John / Pete Doherty but I can imagine. This Doherty chap seems to be a waste of space, famous for nothing more than being a smack head and dating the cross eyed beauty Kate Moss. What on earth was he doing there?

glojo said:
Madonna's foul mouthed swearing certainly came out loud and clear!!! I am so pleased that you liked Robbie Williams performance.

It will certainly be an event to be remembered. We watched from start to finish, flitting between London and mainly Germany. Chris De Burgh was excellent as was the bloke from Roxy Music. Shame about his backing group, but that might be simply because it was live?

On the whole it was an excellent day of brilliant music. I wonder if Ozzy Osbourne was invited?

John

Forgot about her swearing !!! Seemed to be the trend after Geldof famously did it in the 85 original. It seemed like a genuine expression of desperation then - Madonna just looked like she wanted some attention on Saturday....

One other thing I remembered - everytime they cut to the Moscow concert it seemed that the Pet Shop Boys had been playing Domino Dancing all the time !! Did you get that on the TV?

Top notch event - that's for sure.

Shame to see just how many of the world's biggest stars cannot sing live..... Ahh the stuid - so far from reality.

saorbust said:
One other thing I remembered - everytime they cut to the Moscow concert it seemed that the Pet Shop Boys had been playing Domino Dancing all the time !! Did you get that on the TV?

Living in a Democratic family...... My son had the remote control, so I sadly never got to see Moscow. (He reckons I have no style)

It beats me why people think it either trendy, or fashionable to swear. Geldof got carried away with the emotion of the occassion and was clearly struggling for a 'descrpitive' word! (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one)

By the way I was in Eritrea during the early 70's and witnessed first hand the famine and terrible, terrible corruption.

John

John

scotth_uk said:
Top notch event - that's for sure.

Shame to see just how many of the world's biggest stars cannot sing live..... Ahh the stuid - so far from reality.

Scott,

I'm nearly always disappointed by live performances. Half the artists sound like sh1t live. A very few, Neil Young for e.g., sound great.

For me the highlights were Floyd and the Who.

I didn't think I'd ever see Roger Waters on stage with the others again and I was dreading being let down but they were excellent.

It was also great to see 50% of The Who in action (even if they only played the theme tunes to CSI and CSI Miami.....)

I think Robbie Williams is a prat but he definately knows how to entertain a crowd.

Madonna's choir and dancers were far better than she was.

Oh and I recoginised the guy from Guns & Roses in Velvet Revolver but other than that I'd never heard of them before. Are they the biggest band that nobodys heard of or did they bribe their way on to the bill ?

Robin

ooooooooh - am just watching the Stereophonics stint - that was terrific too :bannana:

off to see Coldplay at the Reebok Stadium this evening - and it's raining :( why couldn't the dry have held on a bit :( Sadly the support does not seem to include Richard Ashcroft - :( aah well - it's still Coldplay :p

rr19991029 said:
Oh and I recoginised the guy from Guns & Roses in Velvet Revolver but other than that I'd never heard of them before. Are they the biggest band that nobodys heard of or did they bribe their way on to the bill ?

Robin

Velvet Revolver are Guns n' Roses without Axel Rose + a couple of other rockers with previous form.They are HUGE in the USA, where their sort of guitar led hard rock is much more popular than in the UK.

Velvet Revolver
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Velvet Revolver is a Rock and roll supergroup with three former members of Guns N' Roses - Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum along with Scott Weiland, the lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots. It also features Dave Kushner of the 80's hardcore punk band, Wasted Youth.

Last edited:
neilrr said:
Velvet Revolver are Guns n' Roses without Axel Rose + a couple of other rockers with previous form.They are HUGE in the USA, where their sort of guitar led hard rock is much more popular than in the UK.

Unfortunately Axel Rose has the 'Rights' to all the groups music and will not allow Velvet Revolver to perform any of the brilliants songs :mad:

John

glojo said:
Unfortunately Axel Rose has the 'Rights' to all the groups music and will not allow Velvet Revolver to perform any of the brilliants songs :mad:

John

Ah, real name William Bruce Bailey (William Rose)

aka Axl Rose.

Any one good at anagrams? :D

Satch said:
Ah, real name William Bruce Bailey (William Rose)

aka Axl Rose.

Any one good at anagrams? :D

:eek: :eek: I never realised the 'e' was missing from Axle.

John

Alfie said:
Missed Elton john so cant comment on that performance.

Worst bit for me was Mariah 'waste oif space' Carey. Even some of the unintelligible bands singing was better than her, squezzed into that bin liner.

Thought George michale could have done a bit more.

i was at Hyde Park - elton wasnt there for the end bit with Macca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom