Live traffic in command online - Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My understanding is that without a KOM Module you would not have been able to receive the TomTom Live Traffic service, and additionally as far as I know all MB cars fitted with COMAND Online as of June 2013 have the KOM Module installed. So on balance I think you do have the KOM Module.

I think the issue here is that at first the KOM Module had very limited functionality, so early cars (2013/2014) can only use it for the TomTom Live Traffic service, but later cars had the range of services expanded to support more Mercedes Me functions. I suspect that this is also why you were offered the ODBII Adapter, which is not normally needed with later cars.

The reason (as far as I can see) that the TomTom Live Traffic service is only available with the KOM Module is commercial rather than technical. The service can easily be provided over any Internet connection (including your phone), but the KOM Module with the built-in Vodafone simcard is required in order to positively identify your car, as MB are paying TomTom for the license, and the license is attached to your car via it's VIN so needs to be hard-wired to a hardware on the car, and not to your phone. So what probably happens with your car is that the license is verified and the eligibility is checked via the KOM Module, while the actual data is downloaded over the Bluetooth connection.

You are right I was getting confused with what the display was showing I thought it was showing the strength of the signal for the Traffic but its actually showing the strength of my mobile phone signal hence why it changes when I disconnect my phone just assumed that cos it was on the Nav screen it was showing traffic signal strength lol.

I almost bought a 2015 with the later head unit and backed out at the last minute I did add it to mercedes me and the options were so much more than what I get such as tracking, geofencing, traffic and a load more.

I've just managed to work out how to go online in my 2017 SL, which I've had for three days, and traffic info now flows into the system as does all the POI stuff.

I've a small car icon at the top of the screen with a blue 'wi-fi' looking icon on top of it, which I presume is either bluetooth or the signal from my phone which is connected via a personal hotspot.

All seems to work OK for some reason but I also have a small icon at the bottom of the screen which says 'Traffic' and has a car icon next to it which is always filled in red. This presumably is a TomTom icon but I cannot find any instruction manual anywhere so am lost. I'm also lost as to whether there's any further things this system can do.

Anyone know anything else and perhaps where the user info is???

This is my first post.

Quick Question
If you have CarPlay can you not use the app to display Google or Waze in the comand screen ?

Quick Question
If you have CarPlay can you not use the app to display Google or Waze in the comand screen ?
Apple CarPlay will only allow you to use CarPlay-approved apps.

I don't know for fact if Waze or Google Maps are approved... but my point is that not every app on your iPhone can be used with CarPlay.

Waze and google maps ARE available in carplay - google looks fantastic in satellite view.
Problem is that you can’t display ‘next turn’ info in the dash, it just says ‘carplay connected’
Also, you need to use the apps own voice feature - siri works but uses apple maps.
Finally, the exit from carplay isn’t very good (by pressing the mercedes icon) as it doesn’t return full control - say attempting to use the inbuilt nav/media/phone reinstates carplay.

I didn't think so. Used it a few times, and it took me miles off and wasted a lot of time.

So does anyone know why Live Traffic is deactivated when I disconnect WiFi (in Settings -> Connectivity) in my E220 2017?

nothing is connected to the wifi, and I don’t have a valid data subscription for internet in the car, but my TomTom Live Traffic sub is active.

thanks

TT

Attachments

• 6903FFA5-DC04-42FF-9BC8-571A0BFBD85F.jpeg
    6903FFA5-DC04-42FF-9BC8-571A0BFBD85F.jpeg
    636.3 KB · Views: 9
Just about to expire and now 153 (20%off) to renew for 3 yrs plus 90 for the remote pack (geofencing, park locator, remote locking and tracker)
Really?

Just about to expire and now 153 (20%off) to renew for 3 yrs plus 90 for the remote pack (geofencing, park locator, remote locking and tracker)
Really?
It’s expensive if you don’t use it, but fair value if you do.

Apple CarPlay will only allow you to use CarPlay-approved apps.

I don't know for fact if Waze or Google Maps are approved... but my point is that not every app on your iPhone can be used with CarPlay.
Waze works in my car (on Carplay).

Really?
I renewed every thing except “Traffic” never found it to be particularly good and if you have Carplay, Waze works. If not, how often do you really need “traffic”. I like all the other features.

Waze works in my car (on Carplay).

Yes it does, and I've learnt a thing or two about Apple CarPlay since posting this back in 2018.... :D

Yes it does, and I've learnt a thing or two about Apple CarPlay since posting this back in 2018.... :D
Was responding to a question posted yesterday. Post #90;) but missed the date on that.....:D

Hey.
My (new for me) 2016 SLK currently has maps 2014/2015 and expired TomTom traffic updates. I’ve successfully registered with MercedesMe but wondering if it’s worth renewing TomTom subscription if maps so out of date?
Should I be looking to upgrade maps first?
Great thread and advice been really helpful but hoping someone could help with this.
Thanks.

Hey.
My (new for me) 2016 SLK currently has maps 2014/2015 and expired TomTom traffic updates. I’ve successfully registered with MercedesMe but wondering if it’s worth renewing TomTom subscription if maps so out of date?
Should I be looking to upgrade maps first?
Great thread and advice been really helpful but hoping someone could help with this.
Thanks.

Assuming you have the COMAND infotainment unit (and not the Audio20 with the Garmin Map Pilot navigation), then yes you'll need to both purchase the maps upgrade and renew the TomTom Live Traffic subscription.

There are pros and cons, though.

On the plus side, COMAND navigation is an integral part of the car, with the navigations instructions displayed both on the COMAND screen and on the instrument cluster display.

The downsides, compared to using Waze (or Google Maps / Apple Maps, etc) however, are several.

Firstly, the maps on COMAND get updated every year or two, while the maps on Waze are always up-to-date. This can be particularly relevant in big cities like London where the traffic rules are changed several times a year.

Then, COMAND does not have speed camera database, or speed limit database, so as far as speeding goes, you're on your own. Some MB cars are fitted with Traffic Sign Recognition system, but it does not work well, and in any event it does not alert for speed cameras.

The obvious issue is that having a mobile phone in a cradle on the windscreen isn't everyone's preferred solution. A good compromise might be adding Apple CarPlay / Android Auto to COMAND. It isn't cheap, but then you won't have to spend ~£200 on COMAND maps and TomTom subscription.

If this is of interset, email [email protected] with your VIN, and they will be able to provide a quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom