Live Traffic over Bluetooth with Blackberry 9320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanDfuj

Car
E300 Hybrid
I'm trying to get Live Traffic working, car is E300 Hybrid delivered Oct 2013 so has the latest Comand Online. DUN over Bluetooth is enabled and it pairs with MB Bluetooth, access to phone and address book work fine. When I look at the properties of "MB Bluetooth" on the Blackberry is only lists handsfree and message notification. In the car I can't get any option which needs the Internet or online data access to work.

Any ideas? Has anyone else succeeded in making this work? TMC is pretty rubbish for traffic, info is slow to load and often out-of-date and only covers jams on major roads, which is not a lot of use in London...

Getting it to work on a Blackberry you say... Does anything apart from email work on a Blackberry?

On a serious note, is this a corporate Blackberry talking to a Blackberry server on one using the Blackberry internet service?

Last edited:
Getting it to work on a Blackberry you say... Does anything apart from email work on a Blackberry?

On a serious note, is this a corporate Blackberry talking to a Blackberry server on one using the Blackberry internet service?

It's a corporate one using Blackberry server, which is why I want to use it for traffic (company pays for data connection)

OK then before you start, you need to check with your corporate BesAdmin to see what IT policies have been applied to your device that might prevent this from working as DUN is one of the policy options.

Only once you've ruled this out would it be worth spending further time trying to make this work.

OK then before you start, you need to check with your corporate BesAdmin to see what IT policies have been applied to your device that might prevent this from working as DUN is one of the policy options.

Only once you've ruled this out would it be worth spending further time trying to make this work.

I've asked IT but no answer yet -- but if BT DUN was blocked by a policy I assume this would be on the phone (like other grayed-out options that I can't change) and it isn't, it shows as enabled.

Did you try bluetooth dial-up e.g. from your laptop for internet connectivity, just to be sure it works.

I dont know about this particular model but most Blackberrys need to connect over USB to tether this way rather than bluetooth.

What needs to be considered with an enterprise Blackberry is whether the corporate infrastructure allows traffic from the handset via the corporate BES and out to the internet through corporate firewalls and potentially proxy servers and on to the source of the traffic data, quite possibly over some obscure port.

Thanks Spike -- I checked with our IT department, their answer was not to bother because all the Blackberrys are going to be replaced next month with a choice of iPhone 5S or Galaxy S4 (or maybe S5?) with a more data-centric contract which should support tethering. So then I'll have to start all over again...

I assume the iPhone (which I don't want!) will be supported for Live Traffic out of the box, but maybe the Samsung will need BlueDUN or similar installing?

Frankly I would just run Waze on your iPhone and forget command entirely for traffic.

Nothing matches Waze for live traffic data.

From what I've seen TomTom Live Traffic has better coverage than anything else, however I don't know Waze -- but I do know I don't want an iPhone...

Waze is head and shoulders above Tom Tom live.

It uses crowd sourced data from other Waze users which is very accurate indeed, right down to little back roads and cut throughs. I have commuted to the same place of work for 15 years and it showed me a number of new routes I didn't know existed.

Your Blackberry is indeed the best think for email but it is pretty useless for everything else and no corporate can keep investing in Blackberry technology now as they are a sinking ship.

The Blackberry to iPhone transition experience will be made much better if you buy one of these. How familiar does that keyboard look? Former Blackberry users swear by this setup.

Typo Keyboard (for iPhone) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

It seems that Waze might indeed be A Good Thing if you want a map app running on a smartphone -- however since the 2014 model W212 has got a decent integrated satnav system with Live Traffic already paid for, I'd quite like to use it :)

And I absolutely don't want to move into the iPhone walled garden -- I don't use or want iTunes or anything else and I want to keep it that way ;-)

(my own phone is Android, the work Blackberry is great for mail but rubbish for everything else)

Separate thread started about enabling HD Traffic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom