Living with a W212 E63 Biturbo............1 year on.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
It's exactly a year tomorrow since I picked up my E63 after a 6 year love affair with a W211 E55. That car is a hard act to follow, but the W212 Biturbo does it with aplomb.

It's not fair to make too many comparisons with the W212 being a newer design and more efficient engine. But I was recently asked, and apart from the obvious interior upgrade I would say the stock E63 engine is the equal of a remapped E55 in performance. A remapped E63 is on another level so further comparisons are unfair.

I knew before I'd even picked the car up that I would be visiting Acid at MSL after seeing his work on Daveenty's W212 . A foregone conclusion you might say.
I had set my sights on a Palladium Silver E63S originally and I searched Autotrader for weeks without success. A forum members remapped E63S in Hyacinth Red was almost bought but the owner had second thoughts and withdrew the car from sale.

Although disappointed, it did make me decide I wouldn't accept any car if it had a black interior. I'd had enough of black interiors in the past. So my search was on and I also realised that getting an S model with low miles and light interior was harder than I thought. I also decided that although I never wanted another black car due to the hell of keeping it clean, the contrasting light interior and dark exterior was a nice contrast.
I looked at a couple of cars but rejected them for different reasons until a black E63 with light grey interior popped up on Autotrader. It was within budget, had low miles (28600) and a full main dealer history with a 360 camera and heated seats. I wasn't looking for one with a huge spec.
Thanks to the advice from a couple of members who had owned this model, I travelled up to Chingford E4 to view the car and was pleased with what I saw.
0296209fd3894b8598641240fc5593ac.jpg9baedd666d694551a47d87e0a96e99f7[1].jpg71e9885ddbc2451c87a6cd064bcc3d20.jpg

I had a decent test drive, noted a couple of things that needed putting right and made an offer. After a little negotiation a deal was struck on the Saturday and it was arranged for the car to have a new MOT and a main dealer service before I collected the following Wednesday. I was like a dog with 6 lamp posts those intervening days.
Insurance arranged, I picked the car up, paid up, got the paperwork and a years RAC cover (I'd forgotten about the Mobilo cover for MDSH) and made my way back home. Not a bad MPG considering there were some quick motorway opportunities.

20190918_175051.jpg

A couple of months later in November I was outside MSL at 9am waiting for Acid to remap the car and Imran to remove the resonator for some more bark.
I wrote a thread at the time, so no need to cover old ground.
Remapping the E63 at MSL | Performance Lounge
All I'd say to anyone in doubt about remapping a M157 biturbo, do it. It transforms the car and I came way with 666bhp and 755ftlbs.
75362337_2753367398035377_4231357245503307776_n.jpg

During the winter, I did find that the Pirelli P Zero tyres on the rear didn't have much grip in damp cold conditions and its on my list of to-do jobs. I'll be going for Goodyear F1 Asymmetic 5's. The fronts just won't wear out and even today are on 6mm both sides. No complaints there.

I did dabble in film making and made a cringeworthy you tube video of the car after a resonator delete. I'm no Steven Spielberg that's for sure.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

During 2020 the car has done very few miles, mainly down to Covid-19 lock downs.
Only one niggle that was quickly dealt with. The Ghost immobiliser had a glitch and I needed the assistance of Mobilo to tell me the problem. I'll be honest and say I think it may have been user error.

I've taken a fair few photos over the year and here a a few of my favourites.
20200403_174902.jpg20200830_110553[1].jpgDSCF0298.jpgDSCF0300.jpg
I have done 3477 miles since buying but have no record of how much fuel I've used. Its definitely more economical than the E55, even with 200 more bhp.

Insurance has been reasonable, over 65, Axa £447 last year, this year £360 with Tesco. Signed up to a Mercedes service plan for £1500 and 3 services. Just had the first service, MOT done, taxed for 6 months to break up the big bill in Sept (tax MOT, insurance all together)

All in all, I'm really happy with my choice. The W212 Biturbo is a brilliant car, sedate around town and an animal if needed. The performance and noise in Sport + mode and full throttle is something else.
If you are thinking of buying one, just do it. I don't think you will regret it.
I haven't.

Stunning. Wish I had held off a few months and bought one. Thanks for sharing.

It's exactly a year tomorrow since I picked up my E63 after a 6 year love affair with a W211 E55. That car is a hard act to follow, but the W212 Biturbo does it with aplomb.

It's not fair to make too many comparisons with the W212 being a newer design and more efficient engine. But I was recently asked, and apart from the obvious interior upgrade I would say the stock E63 engine is the equal of a remapped E55 in performance. A remapped E63 is on another level so further comparisons are unfair.

I knew before I'd even picked the car up that I would be visiting Acid at MSL after seeing his work on Daveenty's W212 . A foregone conclusion you might say.
I had set my sights on a Palladium Silver E63S originally and I searched Autotrader for weeks without success. A forum members remapped E63S in Hyacinth Red was almost bought but the owner had second thoughts and withdrew the car from sale.

Although disappointed, it did make me decide I wouldn't accept any car if it had a black interior. I'd had enough of black interiors in the past. So my search was on and I also realised that getting an S model with low miles and light interior was harder than I thought. I also decided that although I never wanted another black car due to the hell of keeping it clean, the contrasting light interior and dark exterior was a nice contrast.
I looked at a couple of cars but rejected them for different reasons until a black E63 with light grey interior popped up on Autotrader. It was within budget, had low miles (28600) and a full main dealer history with a 360 camera and heated seats. I wasn't looking for one with a huge spec.
Thanks to the advice from a couple of members who had owned this model, I travelled up to Chingford E4 to view the car and was pleased with what I saw.
View attachment 102254View attachment 102255View attachment 102256

I had a decent test drive, noted a couple of things that needed putting right and made an offer. After a little negotiation a deal was struck on the Saturday and it was arranged for the car to have a new MOT and a main dealer service before I collected the following Wednesday. I was like a dog with 6 lamp posts those intervening days.
Insurance arranged, I picked the car up, paid up, got the paperwork and a years RAC cover (I'd forgotten about the Mobilo cover for MDSH) and made my way back home. Not a bad MPG considering there were some quick motorway opportunities.

View attachment 102257

A couple of months later in November I was outside MSL at 9am waiting for Acid to remap the car and Imran to remove the resonator for some more bark.
I wrote a thread at the time, so no need to cover old ground.
Remapping the E63 at MSL | Performance Lounge
All I'd say to anyone in doubt about remapping a M157 biturbo, do it. It transforms the car and I came way with 666bhp and 755ftlbs.
View attachment 102258

During the winter, I did find that the Pirelli P Zero tyres on the rear didn't have much grip in damp cold conditions and its on my list of to-do jobs. I'll be going for Goodyear F1 Asymmetic 5's. The fronts just won't wear out and even today are on 6mm both sides. No complaints there.

I did dabble in film making and made a cringeworthy you tube video of the car after a resonator delete. I'm no Steven Spielberg that's for sure.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

During 2020 the car has done very few miles, mainly down to Covid-19 lock downs.
Only one niggle that was quickly dealt with. The Ghost immobiliser had a glitch and I needed the assistance of Mobilo to tell me the problem. I'll be honest and say I think it may have been user error.

I've taken a fair few photos over the year and here a a few of my favourites.
View attachment 102259View attachment 102260View attachment 102261View attachment 102263
I have done 3477 miles since buying but have no record of how much fuel I've used. Its definitely more economical than the E55, even with 200 more bhp.

Insurance has been reasonable, over 65, Axa £447 last year, this year £360 with Tesco. Signed up to a Mercedes service plan for £1500 and 3 services. Just had the first service, MOT done, taxed for 6 months to break up the big bill in Sept (tax MOT, insurance all together)

All in all, I'm really happy with my choice. The W212 Biturbo is a brilliant car, sedate around town and an animal if needed. The performance and noise in Sport + mode and full throttle is something else.
If you are thinking of buying one, just do it. I don't think you will regret it.
I haven't.
Lovely car, great write up 👍🏻

Hands down theeeee best car we’ve ever had amongst a pretty good group.

Great write up, Roger. Many thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Out of interest, did you need to confirm prior to purchase that your engine was newer than those affected by the whole timing chain saga? Would you have bought an older model knowing it would need work or did you wait until you found a car with an engine you knew wouldn't need the remedial work?

Great write up, Roger. Many thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Out of interest, did you need to confirm prior to purchase that your engine was newer than those affected by the whole timing chain saga? Would you have bought an older model knowing it would need work or did you wait until you found a car with an engine you knew wouldn't need the remedial work?
I had been warned by Daveenty about the timing chain issue prior to purchase Dave .Apparently it affected the early biturbo models and I hoped by looking for a late 2014 early 15 model I would avoid it. If it turned out my car had been affected I'd have provably taken it to PCS to be updated.

Fab update Roger.
Not had chance to view the YouTube clip yet. Will enjoy it later with a Friday drink and goodies. Feedback to follow. 😁

lovely motor! mine is now coming up to 3 years ownership next month, 15k miles later, and like you, I absolutely love it, I just wish the wife didn't agree to an AMG GT next, as now I have an itch to scratch!

Mine is unmolested, no mods whatsoever, but it's still an animal on most occasions.

Is that an OEM spoiler?

A couple of my favourite shots, a couple of weeks ago in a very quiet Mayfair on a Saturday afternoon...

IMG_8493.jpgIMG_8494.jpg

Great write up Roger, wow that year has gone quickly! Absolutely stunning car

Is that an OEM spoiler?

A couple of my favourite shots, a couple of weeks ago in a very quiet Mayfair on a Saturday afternoon...

View attachment 102279View attachment 102280

Beautiful colour. Really suits the car.

No not OEM, it's an aftermarket spoiler. I had one of two issues with the fitting but it's turned out OK.

Beautiful colour. Really suits the car.

thank you! I have a soft spot for grey! My last 3 MBs have all been the same colour.

The rest of of MBClub have now concluded that you must be mad!! 😃
Yep, most certainly going mad, but not gonna argue when the wife approves! Need to move quick before she changes her mind 😂

No not OEM, it's an aftermarket spoiler. I had one of two issues with the fitting but it's turned out OK.

mine wasn’t OEM either, but was quite simple to fit with lots of prep and patience. I found that offering it up without peeling the adhesive was the easiest way, peeling just the minimum to then pull it off once the spoiler was held in place using masking tape.

lovely motor! mine is now coming up to 3 years ownership next month, 15k miles later, and like you, I absolutely love it, I just wish the wife didn't agree to an AMG GT next, as now I have an itch to scratch!

Mine is unmolested, no mods whatsoever, but it's still an animal on most occasions.

Is that an OEM spoiler?

View attachment 102279View attachment 102280

South Audley St. Just up on the right next to the church is Harry's Bar. I've sat there for many hours over the years :) :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom