Living with a W212 E63 Biturbo............1 year on.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great write up! Lovely looking and sounding car too 👍

I had a stop in June but got a sympathetic cop. Lucky for me.
I had a stop late on a Friday evening as I came back from the Airport. The AMG was a week old and I was seriously pushing it home. He could have gone to town on me but said due to his pushing priorities, road conditions, traffic levels and capability of the car he was leaving me with a big warning. Some good cops out there.

nice write up Roger !

I had a stop late on a Friday evening as I came back from the Airport. The AMG was a week old and I was seriously pushing it home. He could have gone to town on me but said due to his pushing priorities, road conditions, traffic levels and capability of the car he was leaving me with a big warning. Some good cops out there.
I've had a couple of stops in my AMG before from two different sets of cops - both sets all being decent fellows.

I think if you are legit in all areas of tax, insurance etc., they probably make a character assessment whilst talking to you and can weed out the shysters and those just having a bit of fun.

I've had a couple of stops in my AMG before from two different sets of cops - both sets all being decent fellows.

I think if you are legit in all areas of tax, insurance etc., they probably make a character assessment whilst talking to you and can weed out the shysters and those just having a bit of fun.
The "attitude test" is real, never doubt that.

Hi chaps, I’m new to MB. Having just chopped in my BMW 540 Msport in November 2020 for a 2012 W212 E63 5.5l bi turbo with 49k miles on the clock.

I was aware of the chain stretch issue surrounding these cars, but had some comfort knowing the car had the chain upgrade in October 2018.
Everything was great, enjoying the car every minute until the EML came on!

The car has been in the Mercedes dealership for the past week for a strip down as the car was throwing P0022 fault code.
Couldn’t be the timing chains surely, not after all the work previously done less than 10k ago.

Nope, it turns out that during the repair in October 2018. The fitter managed to block one of the oil galleries with sealant which appears to have affected the oil pressure into the head which caused the cams to wear away the aluminium head journals.

An oil check valve wasn’t installed either, so coupled with low oil pressure and oil drain down from the head has resultwd

Estimated cost of repair is £19k!
Cue lawsuit with dealer I bought it from, and desperate pleas to Mercedes Uk for gesture of good will.

Mercedes refused gesture of good will, but managed to negotiate cost down to £9k but getting the cylinder heads repaired instead of new (saving £3k alone).

Just goes to show, that despite all the known faults with these engines. There is always something that can go wrong, and when they do, they cost mega bucks to fix.

As much as I love the car, it’s fair to say ownership so far has been as enjoyable as a sandpaper covered dildo.

So after a top end rebuild, what more can go wrong with the car...?

I’ll keep you posted....

Hi chaps, I’m new to MB. Having just chopped in my BMW 540 Msport in November 2020 for a 2012 W212 E63 5.5l bi turbo with 49k miles on the clock.

I was aware of the chain stretch issue surrounding these cars, but had some comfort knowing the car had the chain upgrade in October 2018.
Everything was great, enjoying the car every minute until the EML came on!

The car has been in the Mercedes dealership for the past week for a strip down as the car was throwing P0022 fault code.
Couldn’t be the timing chains surely, not after all the work previously done less than 10k ago.

Nope, it turns out that during the repair in October 2018. The fitter managed to block one of the oil galleries with sealant which appears to have affected the oil pressure into the head which caused the cams to wear away the aluminium head journals.

An oil check valve wasn’t installed either, so coupled with low oil pressure and oil drain down from the head has resultwd

Estimated cost of repair is £19k!
Cue lawsuit with dealer I bought it from, and desperate pleas to Mercedes Uk for gesture of good will.

Mercedes refused gesture of good will, but managed to negotiate cost down to £9k but getting the cylinder heads repaired instead of new (saving £3k alone).

Just goes to show, that despite all the known faults with these engines. There is always something that can go wrong, and when they do, they cost mega bucks to fix.

As much as I love the car, it’s fair to say ownership so far has been as enjoyable as a sandpaper covered dildo.

So after a top end rebuild, what more can go wrong with the car...?

I’ll keep you posted....
You could really have started a New Thread buddy .

Another great write up. Keep them coming

Very good and informative write up for those of us with a bi turbo on the to do list. I too love light interiors ; so much nicer a place to sit and highlights a darker exterior. Also plus 1 for Goodyear AS5s good wear,good grip and very comfortable.

Bloody typical Mercedes :mad: Wonderful PR :rolleyes:

A lovely looking motor mate ......I'm coming up to 1 years ownership of my C63s .....

Yes I am mate, I had a visit to GAD last week, very impressed with their work, car feels even more special now, the torque it's producing is unbelievable and when I'm out and about you wouldn't be able to punch the smile from my face

@roger - did you do anything about the tyres? I've worn the rears beyond the MOT limit and am thinking whether to go with OEMs or Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports (though being more noisy and probably less comfortable is putting me off slightly). Interested to know which way you're going re tyres

I always found goodyears quieter than michelins or Conti's, All are good, contis wear the best, Michelins good all rounders, goodyears best value for buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom