Living with an E63 Bi-turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fudger

Car
Awaiting delivery
Gents, I am thinking of doing a deal on a 64 plate E63 S212 tomorrow but before I do, I'd like your honest opinions of one of these as an everyday car which for me will include short trips into town, a 30 mile round trip to work, holidays, collecting sons from Uni with all their kit etc. I do about 12k miles per year.

No need to comment on fuel economy or cost of tyres :)

I am currently driving a very similar 2014 S212 E250 (petrol).

Cheers

A similar E250? :D

You've answered your own question really. If you're not bothered about fuel or tyres, and presumably brakes and insurance fall into the same category, then you already have first hand experience of the car's size, interior space etc.

An estate would offer more room for carrying everything to university.

The cost of fuel and tyres are the only reason you could find as a negative to owning a car like an E63 and as you've ruled that not to be an issue; get it bought!

The only criticism I have and the only one is a slightly lumpy ride caused by the air suspension. My wifes E350 is like a magic carpet in comparison.

You'll love it.

Now stop asking questions, don't think anymore and do it.

Unlike the general perception of the bi turbo power-unit, you still have to give it some revs to get it to go proper.

However, it will kick down and accelerate at 90mph in a way that most cars can't manage at 20mph :cool:.

It's a less dramatic performance than an M156 (lower revving and quieter in standard trim) but considerably quicker when on song (I've had both).

And the steering is simply excellent, with a really quick turn in - it chews up roundabouts in a way a two tonne car shouldn't be able to.

Go get it :thumb:.

ps - they are a rattly power-unit so don't worry about that.

Harsh ride, hard seats, noisy, uncomfortable, atrocious on fuel and tyres.

That was what I was told nearly three years ago. I then bought one.

Yes, the ride is harder than an S Class or something, but you need it that way for the cornering ability. Not a Lotus, but it's certainly impressive for a big barge.

Again, the seats are harder, but if you go for the dynamic option it will massage your pain away.

Noisy. Actually they're a bit subdued when standard, though this can be sorted quite easily. ;)

Uncomfortable. I done nearly 500 miles this weekend and no issues walking. As said earlier, it's firm, though not that bad.

Fuel. There's a thread on here somewhere where Peter DLM managed over 30mpg. Best I've had is 28, though it's averaged over 23 in the last couple of thousand miles, mainly on long runs. I've also had it down to 6.7mpg, which was a lot more fun.

Tyres. Well you have to buy them anyway, just a few more rear ones on these than a normal car. I got over 7,000 off my last set though, so not too bad.

To sum it up, it's a car you can just go to and drive, either on the school run/shopping trip, or on a track. Mine is the best car I've ever owned. :)

Before my E63 I had a W212 E350CDI.

When I bought my first Biturbo E63 I wasn't sure whether it would turn out to be one of the best things I'd ever done or one of the worst. I use mine as my daily driver and cover around 12.5 - 13k miles a year, and my daily commute is a 46 mile round trip. After 25,000 miles in just under two years I decided it was one of the best things I'd done and now I'm on my second E63 Biturbo - a facelift car this time.

They really are one of the most accomplished cars around. Comfy luxury saloon one minute, and manic missile the next. After driving them for more than 30,000 miles I still enjoy every journey.

Just do it :thumb:

Remember to post up pics, or you'll be banned from the forum.

(Alright, you wont be banned, but putting up pictures is just the decent thing to do.)
:)

The E63 is an amazing car, and a very good all rounder.

I had a C250CDI estate and hated it. Mostly the noisy rattly engine and the unrefined ride (AMG Sport on 17s). It nearly put me off the brand for life. It was great on fuel, and I have experience of the same engine in the E250 where it is a lot quieter in situ.

A few years ago I was looking for a 550i and a scant number of 100000 milers were about, so I ended up with a one owner low mileage W211 5.5 (E500 facelift). The engine was characterful but quiet, the ride on airmatic like sitting on a cloud. Despite being a 'Sport' it wasn't really sporty.

After a short stint in an F10 550i (4.4 turbo) for a few months I missed that 5.5, so I sold the BMW (a very competent car) and I then had a W207 E500 with the same engine; in the W207 that 5.5 has a lovely voice, it's much more vocal than the W211 and the coupe handled pretty well (it's only 1600-1700 kg). It was a bit small as a family car however, but very good on fuel for the engine size. I needed a bigger car so looked at the W212 and very nearly bought an E500 (which is still for sale now, a black 61 plate in Wrexham).

I made the mistake? of going to look at the 'halo' cars, M5 and E63. The E63 I felt was too loud on first impressions, but I loved something about it that I couldn't quite put my finger on. So, I looked at M5s for a while... They are nice, and the gearbox is great, but a little lacking in the soul department IMHO. I wanted to like the M5 as I knew it was the technically better car with more up to date telematics. Something drew me back to the E63. The E63 has a heart, it is such a characterful package. It isn't perfect but it is a hot rod or a comfy cruiser and does both exceptionally well. I love that 5.5, the addition of the AMG chassis and a pair of turbos complement it perfectly.

FWIW, I used to nurse the W207 on business runs, which would offset the weekend driving, and getting 25-28MPG most tanks. I didn't have the car long enough to accurately measure tyre life but the rears went from about 6mm to 2-3mm over 11000 miles. I was doing about 70% motorway runs though. So far in the E63, fuel consumption feels about the same, maybe a touch heavier, but there isn't much in it (-5% perhaps). It's not 3mpg better than the E500 as the official figures have you believe though!

tldr: The V8 makes the E class. Tyres and fuel isn't so bad if you're not caning it everywhere. It's all about the 5.5 and don't discount the S212 E500, there is a well-specced one for sale at the moment for £17k (eBay).

Last edited:
It's just a normal car, just very fast, especially when mapped and with aftermarket downpipes.

Not sure what Developer means by having to rev it, mine is very strong with only 1500-2000 revs on. Midrange is just epic and with a bit of throttle will light up the tyres until 3rd and even then will still spin on cold tyres or with a hint of cold or damp Tarmac.

Gents, can anyone advise on the difference in ride quality between 18" and 19" wheels?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I doubt there is much in it. I don't think I have seen an E63 with 18s but if you want them then this style is the correct one: 18 inch winter wheels original Mercedes E63 AMG W212 CLS W218 X218 Winter tyres | eBay

Varying tyre pressures between the figures on the sticker on the fuel flap makes a considerable difference on 19s.

My W207 E500 had 18s and adaptive dampers, the E63 is more comfortable on its 19s in comfort mode than the E500 in comfort mode.

Is it even possible to get them with 18s? Thought they'd foul the calipers.

I doubt there is much in it. I don't think I have seen an E63 with 18s but if you want them then this style is the correct one: 18 inch winter wheels original Mercedes E63 AMG W212 CLS W218 X218 Winter tyres | eBay

Varying tyre pressures between the figures on the sticker on the fuel flap makes a considerable difference on 19s.

My W207 E500 had 18s and adaptive dampers, the E63 is more comfortable on its 19s in comfort mode than the E500 in comfort mode.
Thanks, very useful to know!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not sure what Developer means by having to rev it, mine is very strong with only 1500-2000 revs on. Midrange is just epic and with a bit of throttle will light up the tyres until 3rd and even then will still spin on cold tyres or with a hint of cold or damp Tarmac.

The midrange is certainly strong - one of it's best features for normal road use, however there's no performance at 1500-2000 revs relative to what's available higher up the range (like any car) hence my view that it needs to be revved to reach that "proper" performance.

I can't even think of a car where the bottom of the rev range is stronger than the upper, maybe some diesels lol, but to say you need to rev the 5.5 TT is a bit misleading of the characteristics I think.

Most of the important stuff has alreday been mentioned to be honest, I don't ever remember seeing 18's as an option in the brochure.

My advice would be to drive the car (I know perhaps that is stating the obvious, but some people don't, or just take it round the block) Ensure you take it on some rough roads. The suspension is pretty hard (I came from an E55K) and the ride ''softness'' is very different. I feel that the removal of the air suspension from the front axle is responsible for this (not that I would change it) the E55K was way more comfortable for just floating about, the E63 is a lot more ''sport'' focused. The E63 is also a good bit better on fuel.

Good luck with your potential purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom