Livingstone unveils £25 'Chelsea Tractor' charge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting indeed!
The highest CO2 emitting cars - VED Band G and equivalent vehicles (above 225g CO2 per km), as well as those registered pre March 2001 with engines larger than 3,000cc, will pay £25 a day

"chelsea tractors" - yes
the majority of cars driven by members of this forum - yes

he is a weasel.
Will make no discernable difference at all to traffic or pollution in central london.
should be making all taxis and buses electric instead.
I rarely drive in and when I do I charge the cost through my business, so up yours ken!

Ironic as the picture on the site show a Lexus RX something.. could it be the RX400h that has a Double A battery in the boot to try and get round the tax?

so - and this is where it seems to get barmy - if Edna had been an earlier registration as she could easily have been - she would cop for the £25 being a 3.2 litre engine. But because she is 2003 and Band F for tax she comes in at the £8 charge. Or am I reading this all wrong?

I found this proposed charge offensive when it was first announced - however, I am deeply shocked that it will also apply to pre-2001 cars over 3 litres. This is insane. It is one thing to introduce such a mechanism for new cars - at least people will be choosing to incur the £25 charge if they wish to when they replace their car - but the existing-car clause means that you are forced by an upstart little (expletive deleted) to sell your existing car if it has a large(ish) engine.

This is a tax on the middle classes and shows less about Ken's hatred of cars and more about his other pet hate, the middle classes. If he proposed such a charge for all cars without a catalyst, he would have a riot on his hands similar to that associated with the "poll tax". But he knows that hard-working, polite middle England will just take this on the chin - like we do with all of Gordon's little bits of fun.

Ken Livingstone makes me want to vomit. And that's the most extreme thing I have ever written on this forum. I would gladly see him swinging from a lamp-post.

Phliip

I found this proposed charge offensive when it was first announced - however, I am deeply shocked that it will also apply to pre-2001 cars over 3 litres. This is insane. It is one thing to introduce such a mechanism for new cars - at least people will be choosing to incur the £25 charge if they wish to when they replace their car - but the existing-car clause means that you are forced by an upstart little (expletive deleted) to sell your existing car if it has a large(ish) engine.

This is a tax on the middle classes and shows less about Ken's hatred of cars and more about his other pet hate, the middle classes. If he proposed such a charge for all cars without a catalyst, he would have a riot on his hands similar to that associated with the "poll tax". But he knows that hard-working, polite middle England will just take this on the chin - like we do with all of Gordon's little bits of fun.

Ken Livingstone makes me want to vomit. And that's the most extreme thing I have ever written on this forum. I would gladly see him swinging from a lamp-post.

Phliip

Philip - :mad: You don't like him then :mad:

If he proposed such a charge for all cars without a catalyst, he would have a riot on his hands

Be a pretty small riot seeing as Cats have been mandatory since 1992. How many people do you know drive cars older than that as their main car?

but the existing-car clause means that you are forced by an upstart little (expletive deleted) to sell your existing car if it has a large(ish) engine.

And I wonder what percentage of cars this will affect. Probably less than 0.1% so hardly an issue really.

The consultation is due to end in October and the Mayor says he will keep an open mind on the proposals until he has read the results

That man hasn't had an open mind since his schooldays.

I see it's a very well thought out plan though. All post March 2006 band G vehicles and all pre March 2001 Vehicles pay £25, and apart from the exemptions everything else pays £8.

An extra £100 a year on the road tax is one thing, an extra £85 a week to drive into London is quite another. I suspect the market for large executive cars and 4x4's registered between April 2001 and February 2006 is going to boom in the London area. £85 a week less charging is going to be quite a selling point.

BTW I've paid the congestion charge just once.

I'm surprised that so few of those complaining about this live in or near London.

And I wonder what percentage of cars this will affect. Probably less than 0.1% so hardly an issue really.

It's got nothing to do with how many are affected (it was only an illustration of the point) - it's to do with the right to drive your vehicle without some interfering politician coming along and placing a retrospective punitive tax on you. This isn't safety-related, it isn't even really emissions-related, it is an out of control politician playing god becasue he can.

Supposing Ken came along and just announced that he was impounding all cars with personalised number plates and crushing them without compensation to the owners? Would it matter that it only affected a minority of drivers? and perhaps not you?

It is the principle of the proposal that we should all be objecting to.

I'm surprised that so few of those complaining about this live in or near London.

its not just people in london that are affected. Everyone else wants it to fall on its face or our local councils will start to get ideas too!

Robert, living where you are I would be bothered about stopping a different tide.

This bit isn't directed at you Robert..

I'm pretty sure that soon we will ALL have this sort of legislation, now we can choose to adapt to it or we can chose to bury our heads and live with the consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom