Load Rating Differences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
I need to replace all 4 tyres on my CLS55.

Decided on either Goodyear F1A2 or Michelin PS3.

Trouble is only PS3 is available with the correct load rating on the rears. F1A2's rears are 97Y instead of 101Y (as set out in manual).

Fronts: 255/40 18 99Y
Goodyear F1 A2 MO 99Y – 71DB, Wet Grip: B
Michelin PS3 MO1 99Y – 71DB, Wet Grip: A

Rears: 285/35 18 101Y
Goodyear F1 A2 97Y – 71DB, Wet Grip: A
Michelin PS3 MO1 101Y – 73DB, Wet Grip: A

In F1A2's favour is a 2DB lower noise level at the rear (of real importance to me as I want as quiet as car as possible to better appreciate the exhaust [my current Conti's SP3 are significant noisier at 74DB front and 76DB rear]). Further, it was released relatively recently, unlike PS3 which has been around for some time.

If F1A2s were available with 101Y at rears, I would definitely choose them.

Difference in actual kgs between 97Y (730kg) and 101Y (825kg) is 95kgs.

Will the ride, front/rear balance and handling of the car be noticeably different as a result of the difference in load rating?

I thought about F1A2s on the front and PS3 on the rears but rejected that as I want the same tyres all round.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions very welcome.

I had a word with a man at Camskill Tyres who was very helpful and knowledgeable re information on winter tyre sizes for the CL. 01946 518201

Peter's contact sounds useful, but personally I'd be cautious about running tyres of a lower load rating than recommended. Although it's not illegal to do so, it could be one of those things that an insurer decides invalidates a policy, so I'd check with them too.

I had a word with a man at Camskill Tyres who was very helpful and knowledgeable re information on winter tyre sizes for the CL. 01946 518201

do you have his name please?

Check axis weight of your car (shown in data card). In tyre specs it's used OEM tyre but legally you can put anything which is enough for official axis weight.

Peter's contact sounds useful, but personally I'd be cautious about running tyres of a lower load rating than recommended. Although it's not illegal to do so, it could be one of those things that an insurer decides invalidates a policy, so I'd check with them too.

If it's supposed to have 101's then you can't put lower on as your insurance company will deny any claim if you have serious accident. At least ask them before doing it.

Weirdly they're generally not bothered about speed rating.

If it's supposed to have 101's then you can't put lower on as your insurance company will deny any claim if you have serious accident. At least ask them before doing it.

Weirdly they're generally not bothered about speed rating.

makes sense

looks like I am going PS3 ..

I once fitted RR Sport wheels to my Discovery 3 and mentioned it on the Diso3 forum and all hell broke loose! They were something like 2 or 3 too light, something to do with the Discoveru being a seven seater.

Funnily enough though, the world didn't end and I never had any issues in 9k miles of motoring.

I had Michelin Pilot Sport 3 MO1 with the correct load rating fitted about 500 miles ago.

They are so much quieter than Conti SC 3s (when comparing new Contis) -- bit like a new car! The DB ratings have a noticeable effect. And so much better for hearing the V8 :)

Grip from PS3 appears not as impressive but that could be down to the tyres not being fully run in.

Running PS3 at the same pressures as Conti SC3s, ride feels pretty much the same.

PS3 has better rim protection too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom