Loading bay rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 123juzzy, Jul 12, 2017.

1. 123juzzy

123juzzy New Member

Car:
    MERCEDES 300CE 1987
    I received a parking ticket whilst unloading my 1990 250TD which was in a loading bay. It was for being an incorrect type of vehicle.
    The rules are that only "motor vehicles and trailers constructed for the carriage of goods" are allowed to stop in loading bay.
    I want to argue that my 1990 250TD was actually constructed to carry goods.
    Can anyone offer any literature or other printed matter which would back this up?

2. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Check the registration document (V5) for your car. If the taxation class says "Light Goods Vehicle" then it's your lucky day, otherwise I think you'll have to pay up ;)

3. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    I would suggest that the text is ambiguous to any observer/reader. Almost any motor vehicle could be considered as "being constructed to carry goods".

The fact that you were "carrying goods in the said vehicle in a safe manner and within the law" would say that this is all you are required to demonstrate along with a polite letter explaining the circumstances and time spent unloading etc.

FYI: This is often a an abused bit of legislation on both sides of the fence ;^)

Politeness in your letter may win you sympathy and the case. Pointing out that your estate car is designed to carry goods with a large load area in the rear and specially designed load supports on the roof (not many people know this). So to the best of your knowledge (ignorance is not an excuse) you had not committed an offense and certainly never intended to do so.

A photograph of the car with the seats down for load carrying may help to appeal.

4. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    The taxation class will be PLG : Private/Light Goods .

5. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    AFAIK ... loading bays are either open for any vehicle (signed: "Loading Only") or restricted to goods vehicles (signed: "Goods Vehicles Loading Only").

From the OP it sounded like he/she was stopped in the latter type, in which case I don't think a tax class of P/LG would cut it (it would allow all cars to stop there, defeating the purpose of the restriction).

Worth double-checking the signage though.

6. bob6600

bob6600 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
    Were you loading/unloading to a business? Can you obtain a delivery note with date and time to prove you were unloading?

I've had this with my W210 and I argued that I would not leave my vehicle open and unlocked on a busy street whilst getting the paperwork signed. The council waived the charge. I guess it depends on the local council enforcing