Local authorities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Not sure if this belongs here or in the politics thread - it is not intended to be party political.

Local authority a few years ago wanted to merge with adjoining local authority so called a referendum.
The people voted against the merger.

Over subsequent years the two authorities have been getting closer together & merging more & more departments.

In the other local authority they are apparently they are holding some sort of new referendum. In our local authority they are holding some sort of "consultation" but this has been discrete to the extent that nobody has heard of it.

The 2 local authorities have produced twisted reports to their councilors to convince them to vote to move offices. So, without the public approval, both councils have vacated their offices in market towns and moved to the centre of the adjacent borough to share office space with the county council.

From my point of view, I now have difficulty accessing the Planning & Building Control departments. Where it used to involve a 5 minute drive and free parking or a 10 minute walk, I now ould have a half hour drive & town centre parking costs.

The same applies to other residents for their various requirements. Apparently they have set up drop in centres for easy access to council services - I understand though these are next to useless.

Taking hundreds of council employees out of the market towns has an effect on the small businesses in those market towns.

The Building Inspectors I know now have to travel to the county town, use park & ride in the morning. Hot desk when they arrive for a couple of hours, then return to their cars via park & ride to carry out inspections. After inspections they are expected to return home to "work from home". One I am aware of has refused to work from home as it is his home & not their office so he returns on the park & ride to hot desk.

Last week (after a recent rise in council tax) we learn that the combined local authorities have set up an internal company to invest in properties. Good, they are investing in their districts surely - but no, they are investing in retail units elsewhere in the country. So far they have spent £25m for am annual return of £1.4m and they are expecting to spend a further £25m to raise the annual return to £2.8m.

Now, do us council tax payers pay our council tax expecting to get local services or are we "investing" is a property company which in turn is investing in the retail sector. By my last count, retail is not the best place to be investing.

Rant over.
Comments appreciated.

Reason for the merger will have been to inflate the salaries of the big bosses. I've had many years experience of dealing with them at a county level and the bigger they are the less efficient they become which is the opposite of what they will have told you.

is this suffolk and norfolk
Nope
Mid Suffolk & Babergh.
Mid Suffolk moved from Needham Market
Babergh moved from Hadleigh
Moved into Suffolk County offices in central Ipswich

I would think your excellent resume of events needs to be sent to your local M.P. also to the local paper and anyone else that might be interested.
There seems to be some underhand dealings to circumvent the local referendum.
Our local Council ( Northampton ) all need imprisoning for mess they have made. They get rid of one member who has caused some of the multi million pound debt and then give him a Golden Handshake of £800,000. You couldnt write some of these scenarios. They loaned the local football club 10.25 million, and miraculously it has gone missing and not accountable anywhere. They spent another 1 million trying to track it down. Sold a rare Egyptian mummy that had been gifted to the town, and the cash for that is gone. I could go on and on. ( No don't Steve, just STFU ! ) The salaries that some of these half wits receive, just beggars belief. Our council taxes all went up as well.!!

Steve

Isn't this how some councils almost bankrupted themselves during the Icelandic banking crisis ? instead of investing in local infrastructure they took money that wasn't theirs and thought they would become the Wolves of Wall street.

Here is my formula for sorting out bloated council offices.

One Friday tell the entire office not to turn up on Monday morning but leave a contact number. As the week progresses and it's realised we really can't get along without Tom , Dirk or Janet give them a call, get them back in (by day 3 you would have to have the office/toilet cleaners back in. vital staff ). In my estimate you would get to week 5 before you missed the fat lazy useless Cnut who drives the top desk for over £100K per year.

Last time I had issue with the antics of our local authority, I wrote to our local councillors and our MP.
The local councillors had little comprehension of the issue I was raising, despite the fact that they would be voting on the issue in weeks to come. Each question raised was forwarded to the council department concerned and the answer from the council department to the councillor was then forwarded to me. The councillors had no opinion (or understanding) of their own.
The local MP failed to reply at all.

Private Eye, Rotten Boroughs, every edition. This is the most current. Buy it & become a cynic.

k4h1tf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom